Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Get a aftermarket exhaust if getting STS T/C in future? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119637)

danrc28 12-12-2010 03:15 AM

Get a aftermarket exhaust if getting STS T/C in future?
 
Hey so I was just about to purchase a new catback system when someone told me not to if I was planning on purchasing a remote mounted turbo (saving up to purchase one after my warranty's up). I figured they have to cut the pipes to put in the STS system so it may screw things up? May be a dumb question but I was wondering what would happen and if its worth getting the catback. THANKS!!:thumbup:

Sterling 12-12-2010 05:37 AM

In the remote mounted systems, the air intake is back where your mufflers are now where the turbos will be mounted. It wouldn't make sense to have the intake up front(Where the CAI is), run the piping all the way back to the turbo then all the way back up front to the intake manifold. If you plan on doing it fairly soon, just wait.

The other option is get a CAI now and sell it when you upgrade to the STS system.

PoorMansCamaro 12-12-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sterlingnotes (Post 2630376)
In the remote mounted systems, the air intake is back where your mufflers are now where the turbos will be mounted. It wouldn't make sense to have the intake up front(Where the CAI is), run the piping all the way back to the turbo then all the way back up front to the intake manifold. If you plan on doing it fairly soon, just wait.

The other option is get a CAI now and sell it when you upgrade to the STS system.

isn't he asking about a new catback exhaust? lol

to the OP, I would just save your money. What would happen is, you get the new catback, you would need to take it off and put the stock back on so they can cut it up to fit the turbo.

MichaelH 12-12-2010 10:40 AM

hey what about having long tube headers will this make the system not fit right or are these ok and i have a axle back exhaust so i think i shld be fine on tht

danrc28 12-12-2010 02:55 PM

Thanks guys! I already got a CAI, so im assuming im just gonna have to sell that too....unless other options come out for a t/c then im just gunna save up for that sts system and hold off and that cat. Too bad I was soo excited to get that cat asap!

PoorMansCamaro 12-12-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelH (Post 2630775)
hey what about having long tube headers will this make the system not fit right or are these ok and i have a axle back exhaust so i think i shld be fine on tht

i believe with a rear mount, the long tubes are fine.

Mr. Wyndham 12-12-2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danrc28 (Post 2630318)
Hey so I was just about to purchase a new catback system when someone told me not to if I was planning on purchasing a remote mounted turbo (saving up to purchase one after my warranty's up). I figured they have to cut the pipes to put in the STS system so it may screw things up? May be a dumb question but I was wondering what would happen and if its worth getting the catback. THANKS!!:thumbup:

You're right. The STS kit may not match up properly if you install a cat-back.

You could do a muffler delete, though...providing the pipes aren't cut much farther back from the mufflers. That would get you the sound I assume you're after...and it wouldn't break the bank, or mess up any future plans for a remote-turbo system.

Some people don't like the muffler delete though. It's just a thought. :)

danrc28 12-12-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 2631500)
You're right. The STS kit may not match up properly if you install a cat-back.

You could do a muffler delete, though...providing the pipes aren't cut much farther back from the mufflers. That would get you the sound I assume you're after...and it wouldn't break the bank, or mess up any future plans for a remote-turbo system.

Some people don't like the muffler delete though. It's just a thought. :)



Ill look into the muffler delete, but if ppl dont like it, how about an axle back as an alternative, just until the turbo is installed of course. I was thinking that the swap from axle back to stock may be a bit easier as long as the stock mufflers are kept. however, like you stated the pipes cant be cut back much farther from the mufflers, sooo im thinking that may be an issue?

Mr. Wyndham 12-12-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danrc28 (Post 2631621)
Ill look into the muffler delete, but if ppl dont like it, how about an axle back as an alternative, just until the turbo is installed of course. I was thinking that the swap from axle back to stock may be a bit easier as long as the stock mufflers are kept. however, like you stated the pipes cant be cut back much farther from the mufflers, sooo im thinking that may be an issue?

I like the muffler delete. Many do. But some people find it a bit raspy, and others complain about it being a mullet-mod...:iono:. Look around the site and you'll find its a relatively common mod.

Give the guys at STS a call, and ask them how far 'forward' the system needs to be cut for the turbos. If they can give you that information, just keep your modifications well 'back' of whatever they tell you.

MichaelH 12-12-2010 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro (Post 2631491)
i believe with a rear mount, the long tubes are fine.

thats really good for me than b/c i dont wanna get rid of them and if you have a axle back is that still ok or do they have to take that off

PoorMansCamaro 12-12-2010 06:44 PM

Someone with the STS kit could answer these better then I can, but i'm under the assumption that the mufflers will be cut off with the STS turbo and is just a straight pipe. So you will lose the axleback muffler.

MichaelH 12-12-2010 08:00 PM

ok well thank you for your answers tho

Sterling 12-13-2010 12:47 AM

Wow... i really read that wrong before I posted... thanks for backing me up and giving the OP the answer he was really looking for.

danrc28 12-17-2010 11:27 PM

soo, im thinking...

A. I go with the SOLO performance cat back, with free install ($700), and then get it removed and sell it before I get my STS. Only issue, is that im not sure how much it will cost me in labor to switch back to the stock exhaust system, and im not sure how much $$ I can get for a used catback (although probably more than an axleback), not to mention it will be alot more $$$ to ship that much more metal, and thus alot of ppl in the US may not want to buy all the way up in Canada.

B. I can get an axle-back (thinking gibson or flowmaster american thunder), I saw the Gibson for $435... w/ shipping to Canada, probably be about $500 if not more, then I have to pay to get it installed. Im thinking it may come pretty close to the $700 im paying for the SOLO catback with the free install. Only Pro here is that removal will probably be much cheaper, and although it probably wont sell for as much as a used catback, the shipping from Canada will be alot cheaper therefore easier to sell.


I planned to purchase the turbo within the next 1-2 years, soo by then there may be options in terms of non-remote mounted turbos?? If thats the case then the cats would have been the best option...but if things dont look much better for us v6 guys within that time and I have no choice but to get the remote mount turbo and put my stock exhaust back, whats the best option in your opinion???

Sterling 12-18-2010 11:54 PM

A catback will be easier to put back to original. It just bolts back on...
When you put on an axel back, the original has to be cut off so putting the original back isn't quite as easy, but then it will get cut in a similar place to put in the remote mount turbo anyway.

unrestrictedmotorsports 12-22-2010 06:39 PM

Where the factory mufflers are deleted is roughly 3" behind the mufflers.

Someone mentioned long tubes. This will not help the turbos, of what I have been told from STS its better to keep the factory exhaust manifold for pressure. Was going to go the shorties route with high flow cats but all its going to do is get louder and mabe pick up 1-2 horsepower. So it wasnt worth the $$$$ in my opinoin.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.