Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Denial of warranty because of tune? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127953)

newmoon 02-06-2011 03:08 PM

Denial of warranty because of tune?
 
Been doing alot of reading in here in regards of warranty and tuning. I'd like to know if anyone has been denied a warrantly claim because of a tune or a simple bolt-on?

shawn18 02-06-2011 03:12 PM

I have never heard of anyone I know being denied but I am sure its happened. I would justsave the stock tune and reflash it before going in.

SGOS252382 02-06-2011 03:15 PM

It all depends on what breaks on your car. You can get all kinds of warranty work done after getting a tune. A Camaro5 member just recently got his lifters replaced and his car is tuned. But there is a TBS out for noisy lifters.

But if you roll into the dealership with a busted transmission and your car is tuned, there's a good chance GM will not cover it. The only way GM would cover it is if they find a faulty part or something that's unrelated to the tune. But most likely you're paying for a new tranny.

But all issues unrelated to your modification should be covered.

Apex Motorsports 02-06-2011 03:19 PM

A tune will only potentially impact the drive train portion of your warranty. If you have a drive train failure the dealer is required to run a scan for an aftermarket tune and forward the results to GM proper. They can detect it even if you reflash back to stock. If it has been changed they can deny the warranty claim. It is a calculated risk.

newmoon 02-06-2011 03:27 PM

I'd really like to hear from owners who have actually had warranty denials, not speculation. If dealers are in fact checking on this I am sure there will be members who have had problems.

Fraxum 02-06-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawn18 (Post 2809894)
I have never heard of anyone I know being denied but I am sure its happened. I would justsave the stock tune and reflash it before going in.

That approach will not work. They will know.

MMC 02-06-2011 03:51 PM

You may want to look at this article from GM.
http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2...-coverage.html
:chevy:

clg_98ta 02-06-2011 04:01 PM

A few years ago, the traction control quit working on my 1998 Firebird. The service manager asked if I had changed anything in the PCM. I said no (which was the truth). He told me they would have to check, and it would not be covered if the 'tuning' had been edited.

So in addition to affecting the powertrain warranty, editing the ECM firmware can void the warranty on anything monitored/controlled by this computer.

daveagogo1 02-06-2011 04:12 PM

Personally i would not waste my money on a tune unless i was planning to go for major power 100+ HP gains and use the car as a drag or race vehicle. Why kill your warranty for an extra 10, 20, 30 ponies you will rarely use? I see the allure sure and have a CAI myself. I chose very carefully and bought what would not void my warranty. Just my .02

SlingShot 02-06-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveagogo1 (Post 2810035)
Personally i would not waste my money on a tune unless i was planning to go for major power 100+ HP gains and use the car as a drag or race vehicle. Why kill your warranty for an extra 10, 20, 30 ponies you will rarely use? I see the allure sure and have a CAI myself. I chose very carefully and bought what would not void my warranty. Just my .02


:word:

I agree ... What's the point unless you intend to go to the track on a regular basis. With just the few bolt on's I have, there is more than ample power for everyday driving. For me 90% of the roads I travel have a speed limit of 45. Also for me, I am secure in my manhood enough that I don't have to worry about who's is bigger ...

BackinBlackSS/RS 02-06-2011 04:48 PM

Yeah, you hear a lot of talk about it voiding the warranty, but I have yet to read a thread up here where it has happen to someone in their new Camaro. I may be wrong, but I sure don't remember one. I'm not doing it though. :thumbsup:

Merc 02-06-2011 04:49 PM

I broke my outputshaft with 10k on Pumpkin. GM demanded a ecm snapshot prior to approving the warranty work, even though I was in the vin range of tranny issues. So if you tune you take your chances. I have a JRE tune but yet to put it in.

:thumbsup:

Apex Motorsports 02-06-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newmoon (Post 2809925)
I'd really like to hear from owners who have actually had warranty denials, not speculation. If dealers are in fact checking on this I am sure there will be members who have had problems.

It isn't speculation, there are service bulletins issued by GM to dealers that lays it all out.

v6sonoma 02-06-2011 04:55 PM

It has happened. Someone tuned, destroyed a Half shaft at the track and all they had was a CAI and exhaust. They complained that the minor gains shouldn't have made the part break and that clearly it was defective. GM denied warrantty work and voided the powertrain warranty. Pretty much everyone here is in agreement that if you tune you give up that warranty. Some think you can get around it by restoring the original tune. GM can tell how many times it's computers has been flashed. Some still disagree and say you'll be fine. I'm gonna tell you now if something breaks and they deny you don't complain here. No one will care. They will just quote "You voided it when you tuned." or "You gotta pay to play." Most here will also say who cares and tune away which is fine because the likelyhood of an issue is slim. However they all know they're gonna foot the bill for one if it does occur. Also the cars warranty doesn't get voided just the powertrain. So window switches and radios and other things are still covered. Bolt-ons without a tune will only void the warranty of the part it replaced unless the bolt-on caused the damage. i.e. K&N filter oil clogs up MAF and requires cleaning to remove a check engine light. They will not cover this.

OHIOSS 02-06-2011 05:04 PM

I asked my dealer and they said it's the first thing their service people check. No question that it will void the warranty. I am not getting the tune I had planned on getting after talking to the dealer. I simply won't take the chance.

Russ

Merc 02-06-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v6sonoma (Post 2810144)
It has happened. Someone tuned, destroyed a Half shaft at the track and all they had was a CAI and exhaust. They complained that the minor gains shouldn't have made the part break and that clearly it was defective. GM denied warrantty work and voided the powertrain warranty. Pretty much everyone here is in agreement that if you tune you give up that warranty. Some think you can get around it by restoring the original tune. GM can tell how many times it's computers has been flashed. Some still disagree and say you'll be fine. I'm gonna tell you now if something breaks and they deny you don't complain here. No one will care. They will just quote "You voided it when you tuned." or "You gotta pay to play." Most here will also say who cares and tune away which is fine because the likelyhood of an issue is slim. However they all know they're gonna foot the bill for one if it does occur. Also the cars warranty doesn't get voided just the powertrain. So window switches and radios and other things are still covered. Bolt-ons without a tune will only void the warranty of the part it replaced unless the bolt-on caused the damage. i.e. K&N filter oil clogs up MAF and requires cleaning to remove a check engine light. They will not cover this.

Correct!

:thumbsup:

Mark Myles 02-06-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v6sonoma (Post 2810144)
It has happened. Someone tuned, destroyed a Half shaft at the track and all they had was a CAI and exhaust. They complained that the minor gains shouldn't have made the part break and that clearly it was defective. GM denied warrantty work and voided the powertrain warranty. Pretty much everyone here is in agreement that if you tune you give up that warranty. Some think you can get around it by restoring the original tune. GM can tell how many times it's computers has been flashed. Some still disagree and say you'll be fine. I'm gonna tell you now if something breaks and they deny you don't complain here. No one will care. They will just quote "You voided it when you tuned." or "You gotta pay to play." Most here will also say who cares and tune away which is fine because the likelyhood of an issue is slim. However they all know they're gonna foot the bill for one if it does occur. Also the cars warranty doesn't get voided just the powertrain. So window switches and radios and other things are still covered. Bolt-ons without a tune will only void the warranty of the part it replaced unless the bolt-on caused the damage. i.e. K&N filter oil clogs up MAF and requires cleaning to remove a check engine light. They will not cover this.

Correct. If you are in a position to take GM to task depending on what part failed, then you must determine your pressure point when moding your car.

M :thumbsup:

ffrcobra_65 02-07-2011 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS (Post 2810124)
Yeah, you hear a lot of talk about it voiding the warranty, but I have yet to read a thread up here where it has happen to someone in their new Camaro. I may be wrong, but I sure don't remember one. I'm not doing it though. :thumbsup:

ready to hear the first one? here goes. ME!

Oil leak from Oil Cooler gasket has been a known issue and when I took my car to the dealer, as soon as they opened the hood and saw the supercharger, they said No warranty work. I asked if any powertrain probs would be covered, they said, since I have a tune, anything directly or indirectly connected and controlled by the ECM would not be covered and don't waste time reflashing back to stock tune...GM is not stupid.

Anyway, I wasn't about to waste my time arguing with them. I got it fixed elsewhere.

Rockslam 02-07-2011 03:57 AM

The computer saves the past 10 flashes , so you could re-flash the stock tune 10 times. But one would believe that also would throw a red flag when they check the computer. The tech 2 can read back the history , but only to 10 previous programs.

SSE 4 2SS 02-07-2011 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 (Post 2811525)
ready to hear the first one? here goes. ME!

Oil leak from Oil Cooler gasket has been a known issue and when I took my car to the dealer, as soon as they opened the hood and saw the supercharger, they said No warranty work. I asked if any powertrain probs would be covered, they said, since I have a tune, anything directly or indirectly connected and controlled by the ECM would not be covered and don't waste time reflashing back to stock tune...GM is not stupid.

Anyway, I wasn't about to waste my time arguing with them. I got it fixed elsewhere.

So... the gaskets are controlled by the ECM, at least indirectly...??? :facepalm: jeeeezzzeee.

I guess if thats true, I won't be able to get my seat leather adjusted with my build going on... since I'll probably have to have some of it pulled out of my *## the first few times I jump on it...

But, whats been said is true... If you tune it, they will know...

Red Rocker 02-07-2011 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveagogo1 (Post 2810035)
Personally i would not waste my money on a tune unless i was planning to go for major power 100+ HP gains and use the car as a drag or race vehicle. Why kill your warranty for an extra 10, 20, 30 ponies you will rarely use? I see the allure sure and have a CAI myself. I chose very carefully and bought what would not void my warranty. Just my .02

:word:

csjcsj 02-07-2011 07:44 AM

I will let you know next week! Innate a tune and my M6 started jumping out of 6th gear! Gonna take it in and let them check it! Will report back!

newmoon 02-07-2011 08:19 AM

Thanks for the input, this is the information I was looking for.

Russell James 02-07-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 (Post 2811525)
ready to hear the first one? here goes. ME!

Oil leak from Oil Cooler gasket has been a known issue and when I took my car to the dealer, as soon as they opened the hood and saw the supercharger, they said No warranty work. I asked if any powertrain probs would be covered, they said, since I have a tune, anything directly or indirectly connected and controlled by the ECM would not be covered and don't waste time reflashing back to stock tune...GM is not stupid.

Anyway, I wasn't about to waste my time arguing with them. I got it fixed elsewhere.

Your dealer wasn't following the bulletin properly. If a car has a blocked warranty due to aftermarket calibration, they are to contact their GM rep in regards to any powertrain warranty questions.

I'd ask you dealer this question - did you contact your GM rep as the bulletin instructs? If the rep has a clue, they will evaluate the situation and determine if the current problem has anything to do with the hp being increased. As the bulletin spells out - unauthorized claims are blocked. The words - completely voided warranty or warranty cancelled are not in the bulletin. "Unauthorized claims are blocked" period. The system automatically pays claims. So, it will not automatically pay powertrain claims on that VIN. If the rep authorizes the claim it will pay.

The key is a dealer and GM rep that have the abililty to read a bulletin, and the common sense to determine what is and what is not in any way related to the increased power output due to the modifications.

The bulletin is a sticky in the tuning section. I'd take a copy in and say - did you do this? What is their explanation of how my modifications caused this problem?

alfie43 02-07-2011 09:01 AM

I have Kooks LTs, a Magnacharger S/C, a Roto-Fab CAI, and a tune (561 RWHP). Before I did any mods I had "a warranty conversation" with my dealership's service manager.

I anticipated and agreed that they will not warranty any failure that is directly related to my mods. However, he did tell me that they will be reasonable in that assessment and many common warranty issues will most likely be covered. In other words, if my power window fails, it will be repaired, but if I come in with a sheared transmission output shaft, or smoked clutch...well I got his point.

Last august, I had a significant oil leak near the rear of my engine; around the oil filter housing and oil cooler lines. When I dropped my car off at the service dept, I was concerned that someone might inadvertently reflash my tune back to stock, so I hung a large sign on the rear view mirror that read: "Custom Calibration Do Not Reflash".

They fixed the leak under warranty without hesitation and left my tune intact. In fact, they had to remove one of the Kooks headers to access the leak. H*ll! They even offered me a loaner car, but I didn't need it.
Alfie


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.