Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NEW limited edition Camaro model to be introduced every six months! (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129255)

2000Firehawk 02-14-2011 07:59 AM

NEW limited edition Camaro model to be introduced every six months!
 
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...302149946/1156

Quote:

CHICAGO -- Chevrolet will introduce a limited edition Camaro model every six months in an effort to generate buzz for the nameplate.

In coming years, Chevrolet plans to re-introduce names synonymous with the Camaro's performance past.

"Our plan is to keep evolving the Camaro," said Al Oppenheiser, chief engineer for the Camaro. "That is the beauty of the Camaro. It has so much of a rich heritage that we can put together the right combination of content. We have a lot of rich names to choose from."

Chevrolet used one heritage name when it introduced the 2012 Camaro ZL1 at the Chicago Auto Show. The car will be powered by a supercharged aluminum-block 6.2-liter V-8 producing an estimated 550 hp.

The name is taken from the 1969 Camaro ZL1, which had an aluminum block 440-hp 427-cubic inch V-8.

"At the time, it was the fastest Chevrolet car ever produced," Oppenheiser said in an interview at the show.

Although Oppenheiser would not confirm it, Chevrolet is expected to offer a limited edition 2012 Transformers edition, linked to the Transformers: Dark of the Moon movie that opens in July.

This spring Chevrolet will offer 500 replicas of the 2011 Camaro SS convertible pace car for the Indianapolis 500 race.

Also, the limited edition Camaro Synergy model will return this spring. The model is aimed at V-6 buyers who want performance equipment at a lower price.

the Kolektor 02-14-2011 08:38 AM

Can't wait to see the TF3 edition!

Apex Motorsports 02-14-2011 08:56 AM

Following in Ford's foot steps. There are so many freaking "special" Mustangs I can't keep up.

OPP 02-14-2011 10:27 AM

So a future special edition will be a Z-28. That's what they mean with "stay tuned".

THE EVIL TW1N 02-14-2011 10:34 AM

what other names are in the camaro heritage that are really usable, other than z28?

OUR72GTO 02-14-2011 10:42 AM

TYPE LT

toesuf94 02-14-2011 10:53 AM

Where is the Synergy Series pricing? The XM Edition pricing was announced...but I am not interested in that car!

Doc 02-14-2011 11:09 AM

They should stop and think different like Apple does when evaluating their own products. Don't just change it for the sake of changing something; study what was good, what was okay, what wasn't so good, and improve it. Change it to make it better; fix the things that need fixing. Upgrade the FUNCTIONALITY; not just change the look.

It needs interior improvements. Some weight reduction. Strengthen the drivetrain. Better bushings (they can learn from Pedders how to do this without sacrificing ride quality).

Make the next version a better CAMARO; not just a cosmetic change. This has always been the downfall of Detroit automakers; they start with a great car, then slowly hokey/crap it up with "special editions" etc. until it's a sad mess of what used to be a great car. Just like software companies, they add "features" no one asked for, and ignore fixing the things that their existing customers have been complaining about. The software slowly gets bigger, clumsier, slower... until it's just disappointing at best.

DON'T DO IT CHEVY! You started something fantastic with this Camaro; STAY THE COURSE. Learn from Apple's approach. Study the forums; listen to all the feedback from the people who bought the car and make the next one so good that they'll buy it again. There's a reason why Apple is debt-free, has $60 billion in the bank, and is the #1 tech company in the world. Follow their lead and make the next Camaro the evolutionary improvement of this first fantastic car.

irocnroll 02-14-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N (Post 2838866)
what other names are in the camaro heritage that are really usable, other than z28?

Iroc.....Lol :yikes:

Sneeks20 02-14-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N (Post 2838866)
what other names are in the camaro heritage that are really usable, other than z28?

How about the "Berlineta"....i think thats what its called. Guys a lil help here!

Jabs 02-14-2011 11:39 AM

New Special Edition Camaros Every 6 Months
 
Just read this article on Autoblog. Any Input? I wouldn't be surprised if it was true... What do you guys think?

Article:
Quote:

You think there were a lot of special editions of the Bugatti Veyron? The Europeans ain't got nothin' on muscle cars when it comes to low-volume derivatives. And for its part, Chevrolet doesn't plan on stopping anytime soon. Just the opposite, in fact... at least, that is, according to the latest reports.

Word has it that Chevy is planning on rolling out a new special edition Camaro every six months for – hold on while we take out our trusty old Autoblog abacus – two each year! The new ZL1 that debuted in Chicago is said to be the first in a long line that is expected to be followed by a new Transformers edition for the upcoming sequel Dark of the Moon. After that we should see run of 500 replicas of the Camaro SS Convertible that's set to pace the Indianapolis 500, and then a limited-edition Camaro Synergy that'll offer buyers a V6 with all the performance bits you'd expect from the V8.

If the reports prove accurate, that ought to take us through the end of next year. Beyond that, Chevrolet reportedly plans on tapping in to other historic Camaro variants for future specials. Have a thought or two on the subject? Tell us what special Camaro you'd like to see next – you never know who might be listening.

2010 SSRS 02-14-2011 11:48 AM

I like the way Chevrolet is thinking.

UT-Engineer 02-14-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 2838986)
They should stop and think different like Apple does when evaluating their own products. Don't just change it for the sake of changing something; study what was good, what was okay, what wasn't so good, and improve it. Change it to make it better; fix the things that need fixing. Upgrade the FUNCTIONALITY; not just change the look.

It needs interior improvements. Some weight reduction. Strengthen the drivetrain. Better bushings (they can learn from Pedders how to do this without sacrificing ride quality).

Make the next version a better CAMARO; not just a cosmetic change. This has always been the downfall of Detroit automakers; they start with a great car, then slowly hokey/crap it up with "special editions" etc. until it's a sad mess of what used to be a great car. Just like software companies, they add "features" no one asked for, and ignore fixing the things that their existing customers have been complaining about. The software slowly gets bigger, clumsier, slower... until it's just disappointing at best.

DON'T DO IT CHEVY! You started something fantastic with this Camaro; STAY THE COURSE. Learn from Apple's approach. Study the forums; listen to all the feedback from the people who bought the car and make the next one so good that they'll buy it again. There's a reason why Apple is debt-free, has $60 billion in the bank, and is the #1 tech company in the world. Follow their lead and make the next Camaro the evolutionary improvement of this first fantastic car.

Agree. It sounds like all these mods, changes, and new names are just to keep the public's attention on Camaros, which Im sure GM is hoping would create sales... And im sure there will be a hand full of sales by the ZL1, Z28, etc... but not the way the 2010s and 2011s sold.

The Chevy dealership my fiance works at sold 13 vehicles this past Saturday.. only one of which was a camaro. All the others sold were Cruises, Silverados, and one Cobalt. I'm sure everyone who "really" wanted a camaro already bought one (v6 or SS) and sales will not be as great for these futrue editions as they were for 2010 and 2011 models... IMO :iono:

paulsandhu 02-14-2011 12:22 PM

I think it's a great idea. Also maybe diversify (at least cosmetically) the sea of Camaro's out there.

I'm interested to see how close the TF3 version would look compared to the on-screen one.

SEOhioSS 02-14-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UT-Enginner (Post 2839182)

The Chevy dealership my fiance works at sold 13 vehicles this past Saturday.. only one of which was a camaro. All the others sold were Cruises, Silverados, and one Cobalt. I'm sure everyone who "really" wanted a camaro already bought one (v6 or SS) and sales will not be as great for these futrue editions as they were for 2010 and 2011 models... IMO :iono:

The dealership i work at sells trucks like crazy...people may come in to look at the camaro, but most of them wont buy them. Like you said they end up with something else.

Our dealership had three Synergy green Camaro's on the street corner, and i have never seen so many people pull into the dealership...none of them bought a camaro, but they were interested in other stuff that worked more for them.

With that in mind, in about three months there are a lot of college graduates who may want a new sports car.

CamaroCowboy 02-14-2011 12:24 PM

There were however alot of people waiting for the Z28 which obviously didn't happen. Some will probably take the ZL1 but some will continue to wait. There were also alot of people waiting for the Convertable. We will just have to wait and see how this pans out. i do agree that it will be very hard to touch the 2010 - 2011 sales.

TJ91 02-14-2011 12:27 PM

LENO FRONT FASCIA?! I hope soo!

chain777 02-14-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneeks20 (Post 2839031)
How about the "Berlineta"....i think thats what its called. Guys a lil help here!

The "Brougham d'Elegance" of Camaro's.:laugh:

radz28 02-14-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 2838986)
They should stop and think different like Apple does when evaluating their own products. Don't just change it for the sake of changing something; study what was good, what was okay, what wasn't so good, and improve it. Change it to make it better; fix the things that need fixing. Upgrade the FUNCTIONALITY; not just change the look.

It needs interior improvements. Some weight reduction. Strengthen the drivetrain. Better bushings (they can learn from Pedders how to do this without sacrificing ride quality).

Make the next version a better CAMARO; not just a cosmetic change. This has always been the downfall of Detroit automakers; they start with a great car, then slowly hokey/crap it up with "special editions" etc. until it's a sad mess of what used to be a great car. Just like software companies, they add "features" no one asked for, and ignore fixing the things that their existing customers have been complaining about. The software slowly gets bigger, clumsier, slower... until it's just disappointing at best.

DON'T DO IT CHEVY! You started something fantastic with this Camaro; STAY THE COURSE. Learn from Apple's approach. Study the forums; listen to all the feedback from the people who bought the car and make the next one so good that they'll buy it again. There's a reason why Apple is debt-free, has $60 billion in the bank, and is the #1 tech company in the world. Follow their lead and make the next Camaro the evolutionary improvement of this first fantastic car.

:word::word::word:

It would be cool to see more models come on-line, but Doc makes some good points. I hope GM doesn't spend more time making limited edition cars than it does improving CAMARO. I don't want more stickers - I'd like more performance and value. So far, I think GM's done an excellent job, and if these reports are even somewhat accurate, I hope GM doesn't lose focus on quality and value, both of which I think have been improving for a long time. Don't get me wrong - I'd like to see another Transformers edition car - let's not forget what to focus on, though.

JMVHO :thumbsup:


Quote:

Originally Posted by chain777 (Post 2839409)
The "Brougham d'Elegance" of Camaro's.:laugh:

:sm0: You crossed a line with that one, LOL!!!:laughabove:

thespymaster 02-14-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsandhu (Post 2839255)
I think it's a great idea. Also maybe diversify (at least cosmetically) the sea of Camaro's out there.

I'm interested to see how close the TF3 version would look compared to the on-screen one.

It could be the Z28, since in TF3 it's the Z28..................... , wishful thinking of my part :popcorn:

radz28 02-14-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thespymaster (Post 2839604)
It could be the Z28, since in TF3 it's the Z28..................... , wishful thinking of my part :popcorn:

Ooo!!! I like it!!! I would hope it would lose that spoiler though.

The_Blur 02-14-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apex Chase (Post 2838592)
Following in Ford's foot steps. There are so many freaking "special" Mustangs I can't keep up.

You've got it all wrong. Ford produces new packages every 6 hours. Chevrolet will wait 6 months. :stang:

98_Camaro 02-14-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

"At the time, it was the fastest Chevrolet car ever produced," Oppenheiser said in an interview at the show.
I would've thought the 2 1969 Corvettes that made it out of the factory with ZL-1's would have been the fastest car ever produced [at the time]?
Either way, it'll be interesting to see what direction GM heads with special packages.
Can't wait to see that 45th Anniversary package. :rolleyes:

motorhead 02-14-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneeks20 (Post 2839031)
How about the "Berlineta"....i think thats what its called. Guys a lil help here!

They kind of already make that. Take a 2lt remove the rear spoiler and put berlinetta on the C-pillar. :D

irocnroll 02-14-2011 03:26 PM

How about the Iron Duke lol


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.