Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   V6 FI Stats (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142626)

thehulk 04-21-2011 04:59 PM

V6 FI Stats
 
Hey guys - i'm looking at the different options for a FI V6, and there are a couple options right now, which is an improvement over the past scarcity of aftermarket performance upgrades for the LLT. One thing that has consistently lacked, however, are numbers. I've read threads up and down but I cannot find a 0-60 time for the STS kit, RX, or anything ZMadness has done with all his work on his V6. I've seen few 1/4 times, and correct me if i'm wrong but were they not in the 13's? $5-$6000 and thats all so far? I'm just wondering if any of you resourceful fellas out there with the turbo's in your six's wouldn't mind posting a 0-60 time to see if it's worth it for the rest of us. Thanks :thumbsup:

Maurdib 04-21-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehulk (Post 3124016)
Hey guys - i'm looking at the different options for a FI V6, and there are a couple options right now, which is an improvement over the past scarcity of aftermarket performance upgrades for the LLT. One thing that has consistently lacked, however, are numbers. I've read threads up and down but I cannot find a 0-60 time for the STS kit, RX, or anything ZMadness has done with all his work on his V6. I've seen few 1/4 times, and correct me if i'm wrong but were they not in the 13's? $5-$6000 and thats all so far? I'm just wondering if any of you resourceful fellas out there with the turbo's in your six's wouldn't mind posting a 0-60 time to see if it's worth it for the rest of us. Thanks :thumbsup:

And you won't for the most part, which is why most people are worried, The word on the street is the tires won't hook and keep spinning, with the extra power causing numbers that impress to be hard to come by

jagan323 04-21-2011 05:29 PM

I'd imagine, if the tires could hook, probably 4.5 - 5.0 seconds no problems.

Vgav1221 04-21-2011 05:42 PM

most of the people with the turbos ect put them on cars with an automatic tranny....

thehulk 04-21-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagan323 (Post 3124110)
I'd imagine, if the tires could hook, probably 4.5 - 5.0 seconds no problems.

i know gretchen has like 19's, which don't offer as much rubber on asphalt as the rs's wheels, or some slicks that you could get. could it be solved with more rubber, or better gearing? how does the ss manage the power so much better, since from what i've read so far a turbo'd V6 with weird issues is comparable to an ss.

GretchenGotGrowl 04-21-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehulk (Post 3124263)
i know gretchen has like 19's, which don't offer as much rubber on asphalt as the rs's wheels, or some slicks that you could get. could it be solved with more rubber, or better gearing? how does the ss manage the power so much better, since from what i've read so far a turbo'd V6 with weird issues is comparable to an ss.

We also have an open differential. It's a little harder to spin two wheels than just one. I'm trying to decide what wheels and tires to get right now. I wanted to go with something different so we could compare, but I keep coming back to basically the same setup that Beauwulf has but with taller tires (can't afford to lower her much). That's a nice setup; the only thing I would change would be to go with Nittos, but they are hard to come by right now.

We'll get there guys, but 0-60 mph is not high on my list. I don't street race and stock it has more than enough go-go to pass so if I do it, then it just because I think of it while I'm logging one day.

thehulk 04-22-2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 3124417)
We also have an open differential. It's a little harder to spin two wheels than just one. I'm trying to decide what wheels and tires to get right now. I wanted to go with something different so we could compare, but I keep coming back to basically the same setup that Beauwulf has but with taller tires (can't afford to lower her much). That's a nice setup; the only thing I would change would be to go with Nittos, but they are hard to come by right now.

We'll get there guys, but 0-60 mph is not high on my list. I don't street race and stock it has more than enough go-go to pass so if I do it, then it just because I think of it while I'm logging one day.

i dont know mang - when you think of a performance upgrade like a turbo, stats follow. it's just natural. personally i dont see the point of throwing down several thousand dollars just to hear the blow off valve every shift. you upgrade performance to be more competitive.

KMPrenger 04-22-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 3124417)
...I'm trying to decide what wheels and tires to get right now. I wanted to go with something different so we could compare, but I keep coming back to basically the same setup that Beauwulf has but with taller tires (can't afford to lower her much). That's a nice setup; the only thing I would change would be to go with Nittos, but they are hard to come by right now.

When I read the other day you were searching for different wheels I immediately thought of beauwulf's setup. Nice looking rims and still 20", but lighter than stock for a good price. Its all win lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehulk (Post 3126552)
i dont know mang - when you think of a performance upgrade like a turbo, stats follow. it's just natural. personally i dont see the point of throwing down several thousand dollars just to hear the blow off valve every shift. you upgrade performance to be more competitive.

I can agree with your statement. It would be great to have some honest real stats for once. But at the same time I also see it from Z's and Gretchen's perspective. The performance has to be there...Gretchen ran into the 13s after spinning out like crazy on video. A stock V6 would have ran well into the high 14s or 15 after a spin out like that.

I would think with a good launch 12s should be achievable.

scrming 04-22-2011 10:25 AM

think rditten has his STS issues resolved... Haven't talked to him in a while but I bet he's itching to get back to the track! Just need to wait for SPRING to get here! (we had SNOW this week!)

ROD1 04-22-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurdib (Post 3124108)
And you won't for the most part, which is why most people are worried, The word on the street is the tires won't hook and keep spinning, with the extra power causing numbers that impress to be hard to come by

HDRS was well into the 12s with his stock tires running nitrous.

Maurdib 04-22-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROD1 (Post 3127217)
HDRS was well into the 12s with his stock tires running nitrous.

I wasn't talking nitrous, but turbo's

jagan323 04-22-2011 12:22 PM

What is Beauwulf's wheel setup? anyone know? I'm personally doing some scoping for wheels and tires as well. I was thinking Ken Blocks BFGoodrich KDWs lol.

I was also debating 19" or 20"... not sure yet.

GretchenGotGrowl 04-22-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehulk (Post 3126552)
i dont know mang - when you think of a performance upgrade like a turbo, stats follow. it's just natural. personally i dont see the point of throwing down several thousand dollars just to hear the blow off valve every shift. you upgrade performance to be more competitive.

That's what the LLT FI List sticky is for. As we get info we post it. I doubt you will see people posting 0-60 MPH times, though.

It is what it is. People will post what they want when they want. Don't mean to be bitchy here, but we made the leap and did something. Seems like everyone can just be patient and let us do our thing. If you gotta know, go buy one and post the details.

GretchenGotGrowl 04-22-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagan323 (Post 3127525)
What is Beauwulf's wheel setup? anyone know? I'm personally doing some scoping for wheels and tires as well. I was thinking Ken Blocks BFGoodrich KDWs lol.

I was also debating 19" or 20"... not sure yet.

Man it is hard to find anything in 19" wheels with decent tire options. Beauwulf has TSW Nurburgring 20x9 and 20x10 wheels with Hankook V12 tires. It's a nice setup, but I thought I would try something a little different so we had something to compare with (OZ wheels and Nitto tires).

He said he bought them from Tire Rack, but they said they don't sell TSW wheels or Nitto tires. Only place I can find them is DiscountTireDirect.com. They also list the Nittos I want, but they are back ordered. May just end up with the exact same setup as he has.

jagan323 04-22-2011 01:49 PM

do you know his tire sizes? The 19" Nurburgrings (the ones im looking at) are 19x10.5, and 19x9. I was thinking 285 front and 295 back. (Those are the only available tire sizes for the brand I want). Yeah, it seems 19" tires are hard to find... I really wanted to stay away from 20s... for performance sake. But 19's with 35 profile tires are too small and won't fill the fender gap LOL. Just a mess, im still doing more research though.

OZ were one of my options before, but they only offer 20", so I left that plan to dust lol.

GretchenGotGrowl 04-22-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagan323 (Post 3127878)
do you know his tire sizes? The 19" Nurburgrings (the ones im looking at) are 19x10.5, and 19x9. I was thinking 285 front and 295 back. (Those are the only available tire sizes for the brand I want). Yeah, it seems 19" tires are hard to find... I really wanted to stay away from 20s... for performance sake. But 19's with 35 profile tires are too small and won't fill the fender gap LOL. Just a mess, im still doing more research though.

OZ were one of my options before, but they only offer 20", so I left that plan to dust lol.

Here you go. Don't go crazy looking at all the options! Also, take a look at the sticky in the Wheels/Tires section to get the diameter of the different tire sizes.

Here are the wheels
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...=Car%2FMinivan

Here are the Hankook Tires
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...%2FPerformance
Here are the Nittos
Good -- http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...%2FPerformance
Better-- http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...%2FPerformance
If you are trying to go for weight loss, going bigger isn't necessarily bad. Tires often weigh more than what the wheels are made out of. So, going to 20 in. may increase wheel weight but the reduction in tire weight may be more than enough to offset that increase. On the other hand, if you are trying to reduce overall diameter so you can effectively improve your gear ration, then going lower profile tires on smaller smaller wheels is the way to go.

FDNY-L107 04-22-2011 02:37 PM

I have a set of Nitto NT05's on my Jeep SRT8 - I love them....and this coming from a Michelin guy.

usa1camaro1969 04-22-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maurdib (Post 3127437)
I wasn't talking nitrous, but turbo's

I believe he was pointing out that properly prepped, the stock tires can hook and are not the limiting factor. A nitrous car is usually a harder hitting car, so if he's able to get those times with stock tires he's doing something right.

Amenti 04-25-2011 09:05 AM

Discount Tire will match prices with anyone online; so, if you can find some TSW wheels on a site like Wheelsnext.com (cheapest I could find at $285 for 20x9), you can take a printout to any Discount / America's Tire and they will order it at that price. Same with tires, obviously.

I just picked up a set of four TSW Nurburgring 20x9 Wheels and some okay all-weather Yokohama Parada S-Spec Tires and saved a good $40 per wheel and $20 per tire. Definitely worth the time doing a little research and printing out a couple of pages.

Saved some money, dropped another 30 lbs. from the car. Win-Win!
I think between the headers, exhaust and wheels, my baby is about 70+ lbs. lighter.

KMPrenger 04-25-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amenti (Post 3138390)
Discount Tire will match prices with anyone online; so, if you can find some TSW wheels on a site like Wheelsnext.com (cheapest I could find at $285 for 20x9), you can take a printout to any Discount / America's Tire and they will order it at that price. Same with tires, obviously.

I just picked up a set of four TSW Nurburgring 20x9 Wheels and some okay all-weather Yokohama Parada S-Spec Tires and saved a good $40 per wheel and $20 per tire. Definitely worth the time doing a little research and printing out a couple of pages.

Saved some money, dropped another 30 lbs. from the car. Win-Win!
I think between the headers, exhaust and wheels, my baby is about 70+ lbs. lighter.

Removing that unsprung weight is definitely the best way to go and multiplies its value as the speeds climb.

thehulk 04-28-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 3127654)
That's what the LLT FI List sticky is for. As we get info we post it. I doubt you will see people posting 0-60 MPH times, though.

It is what it is. People will post what they want when they want. Don't mean to be bitchy here, but we made the leap and did something. Seems like everyone can just be patient and let us do our thing. If you gotta know, go buy one and post the details.


Meow.....

Pt_killa 04-28-2011 09:27 AM

I'm going to the track on Friday and i'll post a couple of times for you hulk2

GretchenGotGrowl 04-28-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehulk (Post 3153639)
Meow.....

At least I put my money and time where my mouth was. What exactly have you done???

thehulk 04-28-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pt_killa (Post 3153799)
I'm going to the track on Friday and i'll post a couple of times for you hulk2

thanks mang, i appreciate it. i just did some pricing and it might be cheaper to upgrade to a 1ss, and i'd get the brembo's too. any info would be awesome.

thehulk 04-28-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 3156438)
At least I put my money and time where my mouth was. What exactly have you done???

lets be straight - tip of the hat to you for jumping off into the abyss and trying something new. i haven't done anything turbo wise yet, or maybe ever, depending on how the situation pans out with everyone's awful experiences with them. don't get your panties in a bunch, pal.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.