Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   How to install Ofer's backup camera retrofit (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142833)

jimmyh 04-22-2011 05:11 PM

How to install Ofer's backup camera retrofit

10 Attachment(s)
It took me about 2.5-3 hours. That included several breaks, taking pictures, and basically taking my sweet time. Were I to do this again, I would bet 1.5 hours tops. You need Ofer's camera and harness, and an Onstar LCD mirror. I got mine on ebay.

jimmyh 04-22-2011 05:13 PM

10 Attachment(s)
More

jimmyh 04-22-2011 05:16 PM

10 Attachment(s)
and more

jimmyh 04-22-2011 05:17 PM

7 Attachment(s)
and finally

jimmyh 04-22-2011 05:35 PM

Just a few thoughts:
  • It is not entirely necessary to remove the back seat bottom. You could just tuck the wires away as you see fit. It might not even be necessary to remove the sidewall carpet in the trunk. You could try tucking there too. I removed everything because I don't like loose wires. As should be evident by the thousands of zip-ties I used.
  • Ofer did a great job on the cable length. Whenever I install aftermarket stuff, it seems like the wires are either pulled to the max because there is not enough, or there is 20 feet of extra wire stuffed somewhere. Not the case with this install. Kudos Ofer.
  • ALWAYS bench test. I had a spare cig lighter power plug on hand, so I hooked the camera up to that, and plugged it into the mirror before I began doing ANYTHING else to verify the camera and lcd worked and that my wiring was correct. You don't know how much it sucks to get wires run and mounted, everything in place, then when you turn on your device, it doesn't work.
  • Having some trim removal tools is worth the price. They make it easy to pull trim pieces off without damaging them. They are great for prying stuff like door sills and door panels off.
  • Be careful around the airbag. I didn't have any problems here, but in some other cars I have worked on, simply removing the A-pillar finisher made the airbag service light come on.
  • The green wire on Ofer's custom harness goes to the red wire on the power harness he provided. The black wire goes to ground. I used a little black screw next to the driver's door fuse panel (fig 32).
  • I was concerned about routing the video cable along the battery cable (the big red cable in fig 24) and that it would cause artifacts or distortion in the signal. But it did not. Picture is clear.
I am painting the camera silver, to match my car. Tomorrow when it was dry, I will post pictures of it mounted.

ihaveacamaro 04-22-2011 05:43 PM

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!

Because of your write-up (very detailed) I'm going to order the stuff to make this mod happen! Awesome!

austinjames 04-22-2011 05:48 PM

great job, very helpfull

jimmyh 04-22-2011 06:48 PM

Any questions ask away. I was afraid I went overboard with the pictures. It's really not as complicated as I made it look. This is a very simple install.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 04-22-2011 07:31 PM

Nice job, if it O.K. i will add your DIY to the sale thread.

larryt1026 04-22-2011 07:43 PM

how come this seems so complicated to me..

Sleez 04-22-2011 07:44 PM

great write up, thank you.

Jabs 04-22-2011 08:04 PM

How Much did all the parts cost you?

Great Write up BTW :D Thank you!

WCoolBreeze 04-22-2011 10:23 PM

Great Write Up. This Mod is on the list.

Walt B.

jimmyh 04-22-2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSRS (Post 3129168)
Nice job, if it O.K. i will add your DIY to the sale thread.

be my guest, if it weren't for you, I probably wouldn't have done this mod.

jimmyh 04-22-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larryt1026 (Post 3129225)
how come this seems so complicated to me..

It really isnt. It basically consists of:

1) ordering ofer's camera and harness, and getting an lcd mirror

2) removing the old mirror, a few trim pieces, and optionally the rear seat cushion

3) drilling a hole in the rear bumper between the license plate lights and screwing the camera there

4) putting up the new mirror, tucking the wiring into the headliner and down the a-pillar

5) running two wires from the license plate opening, into the trunk, into the back seat, and up to the driver's side fuse panel on the dash

6) splicing two 12v wires together, attaching one ground wire to a screw

7) tuck the wires out of sight

8) put the trim pieces (and rear seat cushion) back in place

If you have never done any interior/audio mods, it could be a little tricky, but not terribly so. If you have, it's a piece of cake.

sunsfan 04-23-2011 12:30 AM

Nice write up picture are great.Guess it is on my list too.

boltfan1 04-23-2011 09:54 AM

This is an outstanding write up. I appreciate the time and effort you spent to show all the details. I will be ordering my parts soon.

jimmyh 04-23-2011 10:57 AM

Final pictures added.

Final thoughts:

I think this cost about $350, for everything. Maybe less. Most of that is the mirror. Audio shops want over $1000 to do this.

If you have kids like me, this new mirror is wide enough that you can see both of them in the back seat. Bonus. And the mounting arm allows the mirror to tilt up higher, I think. So even though this mirror is larger, it doesn't hang down as far as the other one.

dragom 04-23-2011 12:18 PM

I think Ofer is selling the whole thing for 300 but you need to look on his vendor sale and see to make sure. It is well worth the money it is a great mod.

Darth_Emma 04-23-2011 01:23 PM

Did you have to remove the head unit above the mirror where the dome light is?

jimmyh 04-23-2011 01:44 PM

No. The plug for the mirror is underneath the plastic runner that goes from the mirror to the headliner. I just plugged Ofer's harness into that, plugged into the new mirror, and stuffed it all into the headliner. I am not sure why folks are removing the overhead console.

Darth_Emma 04-23-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyh (Post 3131879)
No. The plug for the mirror is underneath the plastic runner that goes from the mirror to the headliner. I just plugged Ofer's harness into that, plugged into the new mirror, and stuffed it all into the headliner. I am not sure why folks are removing the overhead console.

Thanks, that would simplify things. I have all the pieces to do this mod now, but I have to get my car back from the shop (cam install).

jimmyh 04-23-2011 02:27 PM

cam and headers :drool: maybe after my warranty expires...

Darth_Emma 04-23-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyh (Post 3132017)
cam and headers :drool: maybe after my warranty expires...

I liberated myself from the shackles of the warranty ages ago. :D

Inferno LSX 04-23-2011 02:57 PM

Ofer is a great guy! One question, does the LCD in the mirror stay on, or only when you put the car in reverse?