Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   ZL1-LSA-MR+LS7+Pedders Coilovers = Z28? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149090)

2cnd chance 05-24-2011 08:40 PM

ZL1-LSA-MR+LS7+Pedders Coilovers = Z28?
 
What are your thoughts?

I'd buy one factory built now!

toehead93 05-26-2011 11:54 AM

That would be great!

anthonyj9h 05-26-2011 11:55 AM

lol so the car is going to have 2 engines? ooops read to fast corrected....ps the ls7 is to expensive for them to mass produce it probably aint going to happen

Milk 1027 05-26-2011 12:16 PM

LS7 is going to stop being mass produced as soon as the next gen Corvette comes

I thought people wanted a lightweight Z28?

The LS7 is pretty heavy, and it's more expensive to produce than it's worth.

anthonyj9h 05-26-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk 1027 (Post 3266757)
LS7 is going to stop being mass produced as soon as the next gen Corvette comes

I thought people wanted a lightweight Z28?

The LS7 is pretty heavy

agree

toehead93 05-26-2011 02:47 PM

I really think the gen 5 Z28, if one is made, will be the SS + "track pack" + Z28 badging...no new engine. I think the gen 6 Z28 has more potential as rumors indicate a possible 5.5L V8 in the lineup. That could leave the SS with a new 6.2L and the Z28 with the race insprired 5.5L V8.

2cnd chance 05-26-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk 1027 (Post 3266757)
LS7 is going to stop being mass produced as soon as the next gen Corvette comes

I thought people wanted a lightweight Z28?

The LS7 is pretty heavy, and it's more expensive to produce than it's worth.

Why not just do it for the 5Gen? One last BIG hurrah!!!
Then 6Gen can be what it has to be.
The LS7 is not much more in weight than an LS3. I think we understand the weight is what it is. So now how do we manage what we got? Power and handling!!!
This combo would tear the Boss a new one or two!

Milk 1027 05-26-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 3267701)
Why not just do it for the 5Gen? One last BIG hurrah!!!
Then 6Gen can be what it has to be.
The LS7 is not much more in weight than an LS3. I think we understand the weight is what it is. So now how do we manage what we got? Power and handling!!!
This combo would tear the Boss a new one or two!

because.....
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk 1027 (Post 3266757)
it's more expensive to produce than it's worth.


radz28 05-26-2011 05:37 PM

I'm going to play along and agree with LS7 and a Track Pack (Pedders or Pfadt work with GM, so...), but leave the MR and a similar wheel and tire package. I don't know if I believe it would be in the ball park $$$ of the Supervisor 5.0, but I also don't expect them to be built in as many numbers as ZL1.

DGthe3 05-26-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk 1027 (Post 3266757)
LS7 is going to stop being mass produced as soon as the next gen Corvette comes

I thought people wanted a lightweight Z28?

The LS7 is pretty heavy, and it's more expensive to produce than it's worth.

Its not that heavy, I'm thinking 440 lbs for the LS7 vs 420 lbs for the LS3. It is expensive though, costing about the same as an LSA.

Mindz 05-26-2011 05:48 PM

I thought MR replaced coilovers. You can't have both, can you?

DGthe3 05-26-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindz (Post 3268091)
I thought MR replaced coilovers. You can't have both, can you?

re-read it ...

ZL1 -LSA -MR+ LS7 + Pedders Coilovers = Z28

2cnd chance 05-26-2011 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk 1027 (Post 3267851)
because.....

Wow, that's throwing Milk on a fire!

radz28 05-27-2011 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 3268107)
re-read it ...

ZL1 -LSA -MR+ LS7 + Pedders Coilovers = Z28

Are we going to stick with dry sump or switch over? Maybe he was thinking about that too :iono: All I know is, I think that'd be a super send-off to an iconic Chevy engine displacement. :headbang:

2cnd chance 05-27-2011 09:30 AM

^Exactly!!!
What a collectable!

bkscott 05-27-2011 10:16 AM

I would buy that. Something simple yet potent. Don't need the LS7 either. Tweek the LS3. Cheaper still.

2cnd chance 05-27-2011 03:29 PM

GM,
Why not make a Z28 for the 5Gen? Use the LS7 before it fades into oblivion! Make a car that declares we at GM love our street/track enthusiast! A car that will be remembered for the fact that GM could and they did!
I know the ZL1 is the "it" car, but F**d has the Gt500 and the Boss. Why you ask? Two different buyers, the I want it all Grand Touring customer and the corner carver/track customer. The Z28 would/could be a parts binner. It would market itself no doubt.
Just build it!!!

LOWDOWN 05-27-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz28 (Post 3269990)
Are we going to stick with dry sump or switch over? Maybe he was thinking about that too

LS7, converted to wet sump, with ZL1 wheels/tires = 1SS Curb Weight.

As Production-ready, currently, LS3 = 426hp, while LS7 = 505hp...maybe 500 with Camaro exhaust (remember, Vette LS3 = 430, Base...).

Co$t$? Priced as crate engines from GM PP, LS7 is LE$$ than LSA, even after purchasing the necessary controller and harness. Partial credit for deleted LS3, so...

1SS + LS7 + HD MN6 + Forged 20s + FE4 = low-$40s (BOSS money).

But ya gotta wanna do it...

2cnd chance 05-27-2011 04:51 PM

I like your math

radz28 05-27-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOWDOWN (Post 3271646)
LS7, converted to wet sump, with ZL1 wheels/tires = 1SS Curb Weight.

As Production-ready, currently, LS3 = 426hp, while LS7 = 505hp...maybe 500 with Camaro exhaust (remember, Vette LS3 = 430, Base...).

Co$t$? Priced as crate engines from GM PP, LS7 is LE$$ than LSA, even after purchasing the necessary controller and harness. Partial credit for deleted LS3, so...

1SS + LS7 + HD MN6 + Forged 20s + FE4 = low-$40s (BOSS money).

But ya gotta wanna do it...

Isn't our cam different than 'Vette's LS3? Regardless - That's a nice combo' you've got there ;)

2cnd chance 05-27-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz28 (Post 3271795)
Isn't our cam different than 'Vette's LS3? Regardless - That's a nice combo' you've got there ;)

I believe it is the exhaust that allows an extra 5HP in the Vette.

2cnd chance 05-27-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOWDOWN (Post 3271646)
LS7, converted to wet sump, with ZL1 wheels/tires = 1SS Curb Weight.

As Production-ready, currently, LS3 = 426hp, while LS7 = 505hp...maybe 500 with Camaro exhaust (remember, Vette LS3 = 430, Base...).

Co$t$? Priced as crate engines from GM PP, LS7 is LE$$ than LSA, even after purchasing the necessary controller and harness. Partial credit for deleted LS3, so...

1SS + LS7 + HD MN6 + Forged 20s + FE4 = low-$40s (BOSS money).

But ya gotta wanna do it...

I think your right.
$7,000. Difference between the LS7 & LS3. Then $31,000. For a SS1. $2,000. For the suspension. Wheels, HD drivetrain & Misc. $3,000. - $4,000. More = $43,000.+. All from the parts bin. Just think of how easy it would be to market a 427 Z28,

Oh, what dreams are made of.
I'll buy one right now! Just badge it Z28!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why not Number 3?

GearBangr 05-27-2011 07:09 PM

LS7 block
LS7 crank
PM rods
LS7 pistons
LS3 heads and intake

470 HP 470 TQ

There, 427 inch motor, way cheaper than LS7
and more under the curve power than a hopped up LS3

Milk 1027 05-27-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 3272145)
I believe it is the exhaust that allows an extra 5HP in the Vette.

cam and exhaust are different

2cnd chance 05-27-2011 07:48 PM

If it can be kept to 3,800 lbs. And RWHP is 435 we get a 11.99 1/4 mile at 113.5 mph.
I say bring the Boss(?) on!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.