Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Convertible Forum (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Extreme Testing Verifies Top Quality for Camaro Convertible (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149386)

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet 05-26-2011 01:54 PM

Extreme Testing Verifies Top Quality for Camaro Convertible

1 Attachment(s)
NDIANAPOLIS – When the Chevrolet Camaro Convertible sets the pace for the 2011 Indianapolis 500 this Sunday, it will showcase a top built to last a lifetime, operate worry-free and maintain the appearance of its Coupe sibling.

To assure long-term durability, the convertible top underwent extensive testing during development, being opened and closed more than 22,500 times – three times more than would be expected in a typical 10 years of use. Some of those cycles were performed in extreme conditions; temperatures ranging from minus-22° F to 170° F and humidity of up to 95 percent.

“This past winter we even had our engineers driving 80 of these convertibles back and forth to work every day here in Michigan,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “They had to open and close the top five times each day no matter what the weather was like.”

Every Camaro Convertible undergoes a water test as it completes assembly in Oshawa, Ontario. In addition, vehicles are randomly chosen to undergo an eight-minute water test at the assembly facility in Oshawa and at an identical facility at the GM Proving Ground in Milford, Michigan. More than 7,200 gallons of water are hurled at the car in a hurricane-like downpour at a pace of 900 gallons per minute.

Addressing another aspect of interior comfort, Camaro Convertible’s three-layer top includes an acoustical liner made of rubber sandwiched between an acrylic square weave outer fabric and an inner reinforcing cotton layer. Engineers use a sophisticated human-ear mimicking device called the Aachen Head to measure noise levels. According to recent GM road test data, the Camaro Convertible achieved a better interior quietness acoustical rating than the Ford Mustang in interior quietness.

Full Story Here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETznATuU4Ww

:thumbsup:
Attachment 245172

http://mediasuite.multicastmedia.com...oad&v=j3jt1oad

ihaveacamaro 05-26-2011 02:45 PM

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HDRDTD 05-26-2011 02:47 PM

I want to know just how the hell he managed to climb all the way into the trunk??

Now I want to see him do it again with the top down.....

Drago77 05-26-2011 02:58 PM

That's great and all, but can we examine the WEAR MARKS ON THE PASSENGER SIDE!!!!:facepalm::mad0260:

InvaderMoose 05-26-2011 03:06 PM

"cause we know we're better than the mustang"
YEEEESSSSSSSSS

ctinatx 05-26-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drago77 (Post 3267425)
That's great and all, but can we examine the WEAR MARKS ON THE PASSENGER SIDE!!!!:facepalm::mad0260:

:word:

Sunday Silence 05-26-2011 03:44 PM

Thank you for posting this. I have never owned a "vert" so up until now I have only put the top down for trips that would take 30 minutes or longer..never for short 10 minute trips because I didn't want to wear out the mechinism of the roof. (haha-silly me)
I was also contemplating buying products to "preserve & protect the roof, after reading this I wonder if I still should

Rizzo 05-26-2011 03:51 PM

Hum...The video is not playing on Youtube.

Was it pulled off?

Number 3 05-26-2011 04:05 PM

Josh Holder is really an outstanding rep for Team Camaro and an outstanding engineer. We worked to gether on the C6 several many years ago.

I had heard this video was coming out as part of the Department 180 series.

LAWMAN 05-26-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drago77 (Post 3267425)

your car looks awesome!,i have the same wheels,

LAWMAN 05-26-2011 04:18 PM

great to know that it is put through the test of time,

bowtye 05-26-2011 04:29 PM

SOORRRRYY BECKY!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet (Post 3267146)
NDIANAPOLIS – When the Chevrolet Camaro Convertible sets the pace for the 2011 Indianapolis 500 this Sunday, it will showcase a top built to last a lifetime, operate worry-free and maintain the appearance of its Coupe sibling.

To assure long-term durability, the convertible top underwent extensive testing during development, being opened and closed more than 22,500 times – three times more than would be expected in a typical 10 years of use. Some of those cycles were performed in extreme conditions; temperatures ranging from minus-22° F to 170° F and humidity of up to 95 percent.

“This past winter we even had our engineers driving 80 of these convertibles back and forth to work every day here in Michigan,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “They had to open and close the top five times each day no matter what the weather was like.”

Every Camaro Convertible undergoes a water test as it completes assembly in Oshawa, Ontario. In addition, vehicles are randomly chosen to undergo an eight-minute water test at the assembly facility in Oshawa and at an identical facility at the GM Proving Ground in Milford, Michigan. More than 7,200 gallons of water are hurled at the car in a hurricane-like downpour at a pace of 900 gallons per minute.

Addressing another aspect of interior comfort, Camaro Convertible’s three-layer top includes an acoustical liner made of rubber sandwiched between an acrylic square weave outer fabric and an inner reinforcing cotton layer. Engineers use a sophisticated human-ear mimicking device called the Aachen Head to measure noise levels. According to recent GM road test data, the Camaro Convertible achieved a better interior quietness acoustical rating than the Ford Mustang in interior quietness.

Full Story Here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETznATuU4Ww

:thumbsup:
Attachment 245172

http://mediasuite.multicastmedia.com...oad&v=j3jt1oad

but if that were the case me ant bout 50 other people on here would not be covering therecar because when it rains the get a 3 inch puddle in there rear floor.but i still lovethe car none the less:mad0259:

cj7ngolf 05-26-2011 04:33 PM

Maybe they needed to ride with the top down for a while then look at the top...

If they water test all convertibles why did some people end up with huge gaps in the back where it meets the trunk?

Oh I am not believing some of this....

Number 3 05-26-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowtye (Post 3267779)
but if that were the case me ant bout 50 other people on here would not be covering therecar because when it rains the get a 3 inch puddle in there rear floor.but i still lovethe car none the less:mad0259:

I sure hope you've taken your car to your dealer. As stated in the video, any water is unacceptable to GM and should be unaccetable for you too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj7ngolf (Post 3267804)
Maybe they needed to ride with the top down for a while then look at the top...

If they water test all convertibles why did some people end up with huge gaps in the back where it meets the trunk?

Oh I am not believing some of this....

What aren't you believing? The rigorous testing is no joke in fact the video really understates it in my opinion.

And Oshawa works hard to build a high quality product and puts every car through the UWTB as shown in the video.

That being said, a convertible is a pretty complex thing to seal and it does give more of an opportunity to leak. If yours does, take it to the dealer and get it fixed. You shouldn't have to cover your car in the rain.

sangerbanger58 05-26-2011 05:25 PM

its good to know that if one of my friend piss me off there going to ride in the trunk lol

rjtssvert 05-26-2011 07:10 PM

The engineers need to leave the top down a couple hours or so and then put it back up and look above the door glass on both sides and see the two poke marks, and try to figure out what is pressing up agaist the top while it is in the down position. Mine are pretty bad right after I put the top up, but seem to get a little better after a while, but are permanantly there. I will be taking it in to the dealer next week to get it documented.

cj7ngolf 05-26-2011 07:18 PM

My statement was due to the fact tgat we have several members with bad leaks on their verts, if all had been tested they would not have wet floors.

jmm30534 05-26-2011 07:55 PM

I wonder why there is an advisory not to lower the top in freezing temperatures. Maybe in all their testing they found a problem.

cj7ngolf 05-26-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmm30534 (Post 3268586)
I wonder why there is an advisory not to lower the top in freezing temperatures. Maybe in all their testing they found a problem.

Hard to drive with hypothermia!

I believe there is a temp cut out on the system. Frozen fabric might not fold well though.

daveagogo1 05-26-2011 08:59 PM

That's good news. Although the person inspecting after the water test has to be very thorough. My coupe must have been pulled for the hurricane test. It arrived at the dealer with a reverse light totally full of water lol. Bumper had to be pulled and light replaced on day 1. Wasn't a very happy camper since every GM car i have ever owned has had leaky lights. :(

v6sonoma 05-26-2011 09:36 PM

Did we just discover the true identity of Shunt??? lol :laugh:

GEEo 05-26-2011 10:47 PM

:w00t:

modawg2k 05-26-2011 11:29 PM

I thank my lucky stars that I have had no roof leaking issues or wear marks! Although, I must say, I laughed with the dude getting into the trunk because lord knows there isn't much to work with back there.

DevilKnightFalcon 05-26-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmm30534 (Post 3268586)

There is probably an advisory because some people lack this thing called common sense.

SUX2BU 05-26-2011 11:44 PM

On these 80 test cars putting the top up and down five times a day is great and all, but they must have driven then in the Michigan winter. Meaning after putting the top up and down 5 times they left it up to drive in or else they would have noticed the wear marks