Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Convertible Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Considering trading coupe for a vert. Your opinions? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156475)

xlroadster 07-03-2011 07:59 PM

Considering trading coupe for a vert. Your opinions?

Happy owner of a 2011 2SS/RS. Bought it in late May. The title hasn't even come in the mail yet, but I found myself asking "what if..." since I took the coupe home.

I was originally intent on buying the convertible but it was a 1SS and the coupe fully loaded was $50 more. So that was a no-brainer.

Now I am eagerly desiring the convertible. So, some questions:

I expect to lose value on trade in. I have 2K miles on it now. Should I expect to lose 5K or more in value if I traded it in today?

Other than the open-top feeling, are there any differences in terms of performance in coupe vs convertible? I'm going to assume that the convertible is slightly heavier.

Go new or used, if the hypothetical scenario is that I can find two identical cars, albeit with different mileage?

---------------

Even though I already own another convertible, there's nothing wrong with two. Thanks in advance!

Without Remorse 07-03-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xlroadster (Post 3419925)
Happy owner of a 2011 2SS/RS. Bought it in late May. The title hasn't even come in the mail yet, but I found myself asking "what if..." since I took the coupe home.

I was originally intent on buying the convertible but it was a 1SS and the coupe fully loaded was $50 more. So that was a no-brainer.

Now I am eagerly desiring the convertible. So, some questions:

I expect to lose value on trade in. I have 2K miles on it now. Should I expect to lose 5K or more in value if I traded it in today?

Other than the open-top feeling, are there any differences in terms of performance in coupe vs convertible? I'm going to assume that the convertible is slightly heavier.

Go new or used, if the hypothetical scenario is that I can find two identical cars, albeit with different mileage?

---------------

Even though I already own another convertible, there's nothing wrong with two. Thanks in advance!

I love my vert so I am biased. Since this decision is mainly financial, you are the only one that can make that decision. If money isn't really much of a concern......go for it.

I'm not sure the original comparison was a no-brainer, however. I guess you figured that out as well. 1ss vert against a 2ss coupe for the same price.......I'm going vert.

I have driven the coupe and own the vert. I couldn't notice any differnce at all in the handling. This was by design. They braced the hell out of it in an attempt to keep the suspension of the coupe. This made it heavier (250 lbs) but a beautiful ride. No cowl shake whatsoever.

heff 07-03-2011 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Go with the vert, nothing wrong with a garage full of verts

pincoin 07-03-2011 09:03 PM

Go for the vert!! You only live once, you may as well go topless

calbert1999 07-03-2011 09:22 PM

I would guess anyone prefering a vert will say go with a vert, anyone prefering coupe would say keep the coupe.
But, the real question is "What do you want you vehicle for daily driver, racetrack, or you don't care about any of that and just want to drive with no roof?"
Only you can answer the question and take a financial hit if it means enough to you to drive around with no roof on your car.

GEEo 07-03-2011 09:28 PM

keep the coupe man!!

IMO convertibles defeats the whole purpose of the sports car.

Taking the roof off takes out a whole lot of rigidity of the car. and sports cars are made to be rigid to handle sports driving. also verts a slower than coupes because they weight more.

Blitz 07-03-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heff (Post 3420009)
Go with the vert, nothing wrong with a garage full of verts

That's one heck of a garage!

I'm sure most the people around here are bias, but I would say vert all the way!

calbert1999 07-03-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEEo (Post 3420174)
keep the coupe man!!

Taking the roof off takes out a whole lot of rigidity of the car. and sports cars are made to be rigid to handle sports driving. also verts a slower than coupes because they weight more.

I don't think anyone who want's to drive a vert really cares about any of the performance loses. I'm with you; personally, I wouldn't pay more money for less of a vehicle just to feel some wind blow in my face especially if I lived in an environment where I could only enjoy it for a few monhs out of the whole year, but for some people that's what's important to them.
Driving a vert is a personal choice in my opinion; This question is only answerable by the individual who needs to make that choice.

Steve@Subthump 07-03-2011 09:46 PM

Do it. I have owned both and the convertible is a lot more fun and I couldn't imagine going back. Not to mention if you have to work inside the car, it's a helluva lot easier. Just depends on how you plan to use it too. I don't know if I would want a vert as a daily driver for obvious reasons, but for an extra vehicle to cruise around in and get attention, you can't beat it.

Without Remorse 07-03-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEEo (Post 3420174)
keep the coupe man!!

:facepalm:

Augie1978 07-04-2011 08:29 AM

I traded my 2010 coupe for a vert. I loved the coupe but to me the vert is even more enjoyable to drive.

Big Kid 07-04-2011 08:27 PM

If you have to think about it , you shouldn't do it. You had a shoot and made your choice!

Augie1978 07-04-2011 08:55 PM

Do it dude you will not rerget it!

calbert1999 07-04-2011 10:35 PM

Don't do it man take the cash and get a supercharger. LOL