Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Another tidbit about production date and engine lineup...LOOK HERE! (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594)

CamaroSpike23 09-13-2007 11:49 AM

Another tidbit about production date and engine lineup...LOOK HERE!
 
Ah, another tidbit coming straight from the horse's mouth.

Bob Boniface, a head designer at GM involved with Camaro, shared a tidbit about production details at the Camaro Superfest earlier this month:

October 2008 is the month when approximately 30 Camaros will first roll off the assembly line, and in the following months they will continue to ramp up production until the January 2009 release.
Although engine sizes are a secret, tenatively there are three engines set to be in the lineup for the initial release: 2 V6s and 1 V8.
Horsepower numbers are not known.

October 2008!
And so the countdown begins!

Please keep in mind that this was NOT a press release, nor any kind of official word from GM.
Just a couple tidbits passed along by a designer on the project.

Aptom 09-13-2007 11:53 AM

:w00t:

Dark Knight 09-13-2007 01:02 PM

Well that puts to bed the whole 2 v6 and 2 v8 stuff. But that's good news...good find!!

TAG UR IT 09-13-2007 01:13 PM

You might think I'm nuts for saying this...but I still believe 2 V6's and 2 V8's. And it could be very true that there might only be one V8 for the first year...but my bet is on 2.

Mr. Wyndham 09-13-2007 01:25 PM

I've heard so many different, 2 V8's, no 1 V8....that I've just settled on expecting 2 V8's, like Tag. But if there is only 1...:iono: Good enough for me.:thumbsup:

Pencil.Fight 09-13-2007 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 23121)
I've heard so many different, 2 V8's, no 1 V8....that I've just settled on expecting 2 V8's, like Tag. But if there is only 1...:iono: Good enough for me.:thumbsup:

In a way, one V8 is better than two V8s. Now we can take all the hints on the V8 version(s) and put them together.

It'll have a lot of horsepower (possibly the DIG), and cost around or under 30k.

Mr. Wyndham 09-13-2007 01:32 PM

That's what I'd be hoping for!

balonywolf 09-13-2007 01:44 PM

Well, this meshes with what we've heard about a performance V6, economy V6, and a first year offering of a V8.

SoFlaZ 09-13-2007 05:16 PM

I still think there is going to be 2 V8's, because it says there will be 2 V6's and 1 V8 on INITIAL release. The way I understand it there will be another V8 later on:D (with plenty more hp I hope)

CamaroSpike23 09-13-2007 05:51 PM

i imagine that the one v-8 will have diff combos for the Z28 and SS models. prolly more a tuning deal than anything, but i figure it'll be the same block with diff heads or something.

daddyseth1 09-13-2007 11:34 PM

Well with the two V-6 optionns, what will be the difference between the two?

RS & RT? :sm0:

Mr. Wyndham 09-14-2007 02:06 AM

sport coupe, and sporty-er coupe....::sm0:

j/k RS is a possibiliy I suppose. But it could always just end up being your Chevy-standard LS, LT, and LTZ:iono:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 http://www.camaro5.com/forums/v5/buttons/viewpost.gif
Although engine sizes are a secret, tenatively there are three engines set to be in the lineup for the initial release: 2 V6s and 1 V8.
.....

I was thinking the exact same thing, it makes the most sense...:rolleyes:

:iono: alright with me. Give me 400+ hp as the first engine, and I'll be plenty satisfied...doesn't have to be the TOP for me...

TAG UR IT 09-14-2007 02:14 AM

If that's so, I'll probably wait until the following year. It benefits me to wait until the next year anyway...money and all.

Mindz 09-14-2007 04:05 AM

I'm waiting for the vert so hopefully it'll have the big engine as an option as well.

Urthman 09-14-2007 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 (Post 23108)
Ah, another tidbit coming straight from the horse's mouth.

Bob Boniface, a head designer at GM involved with Camaro, shared a tidbit about production details at the Camaro Superfest earlier this month:

October 2008 is the month when approximately 30 Camaros will first roll off the assembly line, and in the following months they will continue to ramp up production until the January 2009 release.
Although engine sizes are a secret, tenatively there are three engines set to be in the lineup for the initial release: 2 V6s and 1 V8.
Horsepower numbers are not known.

October 2008!
And so the countdown begins!

Please keep in mind that this was NOT a press release, nor any kind of official word from GM.
Just a couple tidbits passed along by a designer on the project.

Where did this come from?

Dark Knight 09-14-2007 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFlaZ (Post 23171)
I still think there is going to be 2 V8's, because it says there will be 2 V6's and 1 V8 on INITIAL release. The way I understand it there will be another V8 later on:D (with plenty more hp I hope)

And THAT'S the one i'm waiting on!:headbang: Don't matter if it's 2010 or 2011 i will have me one no matter what.

One thing that makes me wonder though...if there is only gonna be 2 v6 and 1 v8 will that 1 v8 look exactly like the concept? If anyone remembers that one interview with Lutz he told the interviewer "right now your looking at what would be the top of the line Camaro".

Mr. Wyndham 09-14-2007 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Knight (Post 23239)
And THAT'S the one i'm waiting on!:headbang: Don't matter if it's 2010 or 2011 i will have me one no matter what.

One thing that makes me wonder though...if there is only gonna be 2 v6 and 1 v8 will that 1 v8 look exactly like the concept? If anyone remembers that one interview with Lutz he told the interviewer "right now your looking at what would be the top of the line Camaro".

I do remember that....

My thoughts? I think the initial release V8 will be the top-of-the-line mainstream Camaro(which'll look like the concept)...then they'll make a GT500 killer, with a Super-Hi-Po V8, which'll be all tricked out, with intakes, and better this, better that:iono:
I'm now, really interested in seeing what a flat-roofed 5th gen will look like (the V6's)...:rolleyes:

JeepinMatt 09-14-2007 09:43 PM

I think I'm going to try and pick up an LS3 powered one slightly used, with only 5k or so miles on it.

night_kidd 09-14-2007 10:39 PM

it doesn't make sense to make just 1 v8. That is so stupid, there should be a lower end v8 and a high end v8. I think they are bluffing. There has to be a 2nd v8 model or at least come out with a supercharged model or something.

Mr. Wyndham 09-14-2007 10:58 PM

...mmmm, I don't know. It definitely makes a lot of sense to have only one V8. I still think there will be two, but it's financially smart to offer only 1...reduce costs of producing more than one V8 in smaller numbers, than the cheaper method of having 1 large-scale V8...


this is an old post...but still, who better to know, than the almighty Fbodfather?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
BUT....one of the arguments I hear is to have a midrange V8 for lower insurance costs......AIN'T gonna happen (lower insurance rates, that is.........) Furthermore....300hp......or more in a midrange V8...guaranteed higher insurance rates......

I'm confident you'll see three engines....but for reasons other than written here.

(sitting back...stirring pot....................)

Which of cousre, he follows up in typical Fbodfather fashion with this...:bonk: ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fbodfather
...there very well could be a midrange V8...but a midrange V8 in the 300 plus horsepower range is NOT gonna get you cheaper insurance rates........don't believe me? Go do some insurance quotes out there............


CamaroSpike23 09-15-2007 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 23351)
...mmmm, I don't know. It definitely makes a lot of sense to have only one V8. I still think there will be two, but it's financially smart to offer only 1...reduce costs of producing more than one V8 in smaller numbers, than the cheaper method of having 1 large-scale V8...


this is an old post...but still, who better to know, than the almighty Fbodfather?



Which of cousre, he follows up in typical Fbodfather fashion with this...:bonk: ;)




what do you do with your life....? lol just messin thanks for postin that up from the fbodfather. :headbang:

Mr. Wyndham 09-15-2007 01:04 AM

it's 2Am on a Saturday...I do nothing. I do not sleep...much.

:iono: I could always not post these things...;)
Trust me, once school starts picking up, and my new job starts, you'll be seeing much less of me...:cry:

CamaroSpike23 09-15-2007 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 23363)
it's 2Am on a Saturday...I do nothing. I do not sleep...much.

:iono: I could always not post these things...;)
Trust me, once school starts picking up, and my new job starts, you'll be seeing much less of me...:cry:

so you are saying I need to send you some more stuff to p/s before that time?

SSFreak11 09-15-2007 01:19 AM

Here's my $0.02...Having a midrange V-8 would most likely only benefit in the means of gas mileage. The insurance between a 370ish hp V-8 and a 430ish hp V-8 would not differ very much at all. Like Drangon said, it would be cheaper to just have one V-8 with a decent amount of power rather than two. Just think about it, you have your economy V-6 for those who could care less about the performance of the car. You have the HiPo V-6 for those who want good performance and cheaper insurance/better fuel economy and then the 4XXhp V-8 for the for people who want a BADA$$ ride and don't mind the extra expenses that come with owning a muscle car.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.