Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   AAC sidemarker lights.......sealed mine.....Video (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162054)

PQ 07-31-2011 01:34 AM

AAC sidemarker lights.......sealed mine.....Video
 
This is what I did.

The water actually was probably getting in on the corners of the lights and not on the connector more likely. I'd seal them both just in case.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf8XQ8B6QAs

ZNOLMT 07-31-2011 01:47 AM

Is water build-up typical of these side markers? Because I was thinking of getting these.

PQ 07-31-2011 02:10 AM

It's been an issue with some. But AAC has taken good care. Just a pita to have to go through. It's really easy to just run a bean of sealer on them.

GB EB 07-31-2011 09:13 AM

OK... I like it... but.... does it void the warranty......

I've got one being replaced under warranty right now for that exact issue...

If I can save the "pita" of sending the next one in when it fails.... It would make me happy.

(ps... maybe you should put an application in at AAC!)

mikepage0007 07-31-2011 09:28 AM

i have 1 that has multiple burnouts within a month old..aac was quik to send me a warranty claim and i will send back...but i noticed that moisture got inside this 1 and within 24 hrs, led was burned out..could be a coicidnce..but i don,t believe it was...if aac can somehow fix this problem , there time spent handling these claims would dimenish...i have not really looked into where it may leak ..but might pull light today and check out, since its being returned..

The Stig 07-31-2011 09:44 AM

I think its so weird that people keep having issues with these. I've had mine for almost a year and they've been perfect.

GB EB 07-31-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stieger (Post 3545954)
I think its so weird that people keep having issues with these. I've had mine for almost a year and they've been perfect.

buy a lotto ticket:)

CyberDan 07-31-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stieger (Post 3545954)
I think its so weird that people keep having issues with these. I've had mine for almost a year and they've been perfect.

You're just one of the lucky ones... I'm on my third set... And I too noticed the seal around the socket as being the weak link. I plastidipped the back sides of the marker, hopefully that does the trick.

mikepage0007 07-31-2011 11:49 AM

i thought i just had moisture, when removing the 1 , it had at least a spoonful of water in it.. def leaking around the seams...reason i say this ....with bulb still in i could shake /flick light assy in my hand and would get 3-4 drops from corner of light...not from bulb area...did this for 5 minutes and water still came out from same area...not back of light assy where bulb installs..that was dry as bone... imo.. but will seal everything on the next one.

PQ 07-31-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011 2SS/RS (Post 3545850)
OK... I like it... but.... does it void the warranty......

:iono: I didn't think about it. I don't see why it should.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikepage0007 (Post 3546347)
i thought i just had moisture, when removing the 1 , it had at least a spoonful of water in it.. def leaking around the seams...reason i say this ....with bulb still in i could shake /flick light assy in my hand and would get 3-4 drops from corner of light...not from bulb area...did this for 5 minutes and water still came out from same area...not back of light assy where bulb installs..that was dry as bone... imo.. but will seal everything on the next one.

I did notice that the very corner had little to no sealant. Could swear I could see all the way into the inner chamber. I ran a bead all the way around.

CamaroDreams07 07-31-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011 2SS/RS (Post 3545850)
OK... I like it... but.... does it void the warranty......

I've got one being replaced under warranty right now for that exact issue...

If I can save the "pita" of sending the next one in when it fails.... It would make me happy.

(ps... maybe you should put an application in at AAC!)

:sm0: Epic. I don't know, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I just don't see why the consumer should have to jerry-rig a $$top dollar$$ product just to make it functional. AAC should re-market these as color-matched sea monkey tanks. Badly painted, bubbly sea monkey tanks.

PQ 07-31-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 (Post 3547116)
:sm0: Epic. I don't know, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I just don't see why the consumer should have to jerry-rig a $$top dollar$$ product just to make it functional. AAC should re-market these as color-matched sea monkey tanks. Badly painted, bubbly sea monkey tanks.

I won't argue with that.

And, Mike, I just looked REALLY closely at the two bad lights and they both have voids straight to the indside. Both had a ton of water in them. The very corners are where they were not sealed that well.

mikepage0007 07-31-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 3547149)
I won't argue with that.

And, Mike, I just looked REALLY closely at the two bad lights and they both have voids straight to the indside. Both had a ton of water in them. The very corners are where they were not sealed that well.

thats what i was thinking...some clear non latex silicon would be the best sealant..i would use some blue painters tape and tape out light real good just to make sure it don,t get on finished area

PQ 07-31-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikepage0007 (Post 3547368)
thats what i was thinking...some clear non latex silicon would be the best sealant..i would use some blue painters tape and tape out light real good just to make sure it don,t get on finished area

Damn. Non-Latex? :(

Crap. Do I need to peel it off and redo it?

steeleshark2 07-31-2011 06:21 PM

Be careful taking out the front ones to seal them. I broke my tabs and now have to send them back for new ones. I followed the directions to the letter. So now I have my old ones back on the front of the car. They didn't break when I took them out!!:mad0259:

The Stig 07-31-2011 06:23 PM

No you should be fine. Non-latex is usually used out doors as its more durable. But you should be fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

PQ 07-31-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeleshark2 (Post 3547546)
Be careful taking out the front ones to seal them. I broke my tabs and now have to send them back for new ones. I followed the directions to the letter. So now I have my old ones back on the front of the car. They didn't break when I took them out!!:mad0259:

I've been lucky. They've come right out so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stieger (Post 3547552)
No you should be fine. Non-latex is usually used out doors as its more durable. But you should be fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

Cool.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 07-31-2011 08:11 PM

So you guys know its not the LED's that Burn out but the resisters in the back, Ask me how i know. :)

PQ 07-31-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSRS (Post 3547910)
So you guys know its not the LED's that Burn out but the resisters in the back, Ask me how i know. :)

:popcorn:

2SSRS@Gen5diy 07-31-2011 08:25 PM

Had to fix to many of them for members and friends, Buy the way the best way to seal them is with RTV Clear Silicone, do it 2 times to get the best seal.

vafinest25 07-31-2011 08:28 PM

I'm having the same issues with the water and burned out bulbs. I'm on my second pair. Jonathan has been good at getting me new ones out. http://tapatalk.com/mu/a6898ccd-ff92-55bf.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/a6898ccd-ffaa-d10f.jpg
On the second one you can see brown stuff inside of it, and condensation on the right side. I did what you did PQ and put some sealant around the connector housing and this is the only one that has an issue.

2010SSRSM6 08-01-2011 10:52 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. Getting ready to pull the trigger on these and now I can seal them prior to installing. :thumbsup:

CyberDan 08-01-2011 11:58 AM

I said it once, I'll say it again.... This is alot of money to spend on a product with a defect, lifetime warranty or not.

PQ 08-01-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberDan (Post 3550576)
I said it once, I'll say it again.... This is alot of money to spend on a product with a defect, lifetime warranty or not.

I agree with you. Believe me I do.

That just shows you how much I REALLY like this product. :laugh:

It's a real easy fix to run a bead of sylicon around it.

But, there's no doubt. You should be able to install and enjoy.

I just look at it, now, as part of the install. :sm0:

garcmol 08-01-2011 12:33 PM

I've been lucky so far! But I have the clear silicone if it becomes a problem. Thanks Randy ~ nice how-to


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.