Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Onstar and XM Delete...? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16235)

lrc250 03-21-2009 11:49 PM

Onstar and XM Delete...?

1 Attachment(s)
Per fastball's request I am posting this question. There has been several members question whether you could get rid of OnStar and XM especially the shark fin. Does anyone have an answer with the order code to delete? I know from the window sticker on #38 that is headed to Puerto Rico the XM and OnStar both were deleted, or unavailable as the sticker reads. So the big question is since XM and OnStar aren't available on this one is there a shark fin antenna there? See below....

JMAN311 03-22-2009 12:30 AM

my .02 cents is that the shark fin will still be there but because of their location they can't get the actual subscription based service for either. From what I've heard the shark fin will be on every car coming out of the factory.

CommandoSS 03-22-2009 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrc250 (Post 354806)
Per fastball's request I am posting this question. There has been several members question whether you could get rid of OnStar and XM especially the shark fin. Does anyone have an answer with the order code to delete? I know from the window sticker on #38 that is headed to Puerto Rico the XM and OnStar both were deleted, or unavailable as the sticker reads. So the big question is since XM and OnStar aren't available on this one is there a shark fin antenna there? See below....

My Guess: Shark fin will still be there

Reason why they are saying service is unavailable: Car is going to Puerto Rico. XM and Onstar only cover the continental US as far as I know.

Rollin Thunder 03-22-2009 01:24 AM

Isnt the shark fin a quad band antenna, meaning it not only picks up onstar and XM it gets the regualr am/fm signal too??? I know my Yukon and corvette are like that. I have this little antenna over my head in the yukon (black and ugly) and this body color antenna on the trunk of the corvette.

Alaska Chony69 03-22-2009 02:13 AM

Alaska

OnStar available in AK but XM is not...

OUR72GTO 03-22-2009 03:11 AM

AM /FM is in the rear glass.

fastball 03-22-2009 08:31 AM

Thanks Irc250.

And for everyone else's reference, the fin is only for satellite communications. The AM/FM radio antenna is imprinted into the rear window.

99b4c 03-23-2009 10:13 AM

If all the cars are built "standard" with Onstar and XM then why the deduction off the sticker? I just hope we can get rid of that useless to me antenna on the roof with RPO UE0, the AM/FM in the rear glass is all I need. :chevy:

CamaroScotty 03-23-2009 10:56 AM

There is no delete code listed in autobook for the Camaro.

cam2fst4u 03-23-2009 11:01 AM

:thumbup:when in doubt ask scotty! he knows all

mdky2kss 03-23-2009 11:15 AM

I had a customer that backed out at the last minute because you can't delete OnStar and XM at this time if the vehicle is built for the US. Maybe if they come out with a B4C package down the road.

Tango16 03-23-2009 11:18 AM

All models heading to Puerto Rico will have the shark fin replaced by a a small Puerto Rican flag.

Robin Lawrence 03-23-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroScotty (Post 357295)
There is no delete code listed in autobook for the Camaro.

Yep, I asked my dealer if I could get them deleted. He said unless it's export or a fleet purchase there was no way.

I also asked to delete

Air Bags
Anti Lock Brakes
Power Windows
Air Conditioning
Rear Seat
Radio

He looked at me like I was crazy.....go figure.

Robin

Rogue Leader 03-23-2009 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdky2kss (Post 357343)
I had a customer that backed out at the last minute because you can't delete OnStar and XM at this time if the vehicle is built for the US. Maybe if they come out with a B4C package down the road.

I seriously doubt the B4C (Police) package would delete those features (or at least the shark fin antenna) as I have seen plenty of Police equipped GM products with XM/Onstar antennas. My friend is a mechanic for the county PD and confirms this as well.

The days of option deletes and things like that are a dinosaur. Why do you think almost every option now is either in a package or something that can easily be bolted on or removed (wheels)? Its cheaper, its how the Japanese and Germans do it. Those holding their breath for Onstar/XM delete are going to pass out and die.

35th02ss 03-23-2009 12:16 PM

No I doubt it. The shark fin is there. Now GM or an aftermarket company might come out with a cover to match your car.

CamaroScotty 03-23-2009 12:46 PM

Not even for a fleet - - there is no delete option.

fastball 03-23-2009 04:28 PM

Well, I guess that means I'll be contacting by local body shop very shortly after I buy the car. Since paint fades over time becomes more and more difficult to blend a color the older a car gets - when it's new, you should just be able to patch the hole, paint, clearcoat, and be done.

99b4c 03-26-2009 03:49 PM

Its cheaper, its how the Japanese and Germans do it. Those holding their breath for Onstar/XM delete are going to pass out and die.[/QUOTE]

They should have no options, take it or leave it. Might work for GM, give the customer what they want with Japanese and German influence. :chevy:

99b4c 03-26-2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroScotty (Post 357535)
Not even for a fleet - - there is no delete option.

Thanks Scotty, hope we see a delete code on the future 5th gens. I just dont see the reasoning behind making a "service" standard built into the car, not everyone wants Onstar service like A/C and power windows.

Now I can wait for a used 1SS since I cant order the car the way I want it.

fastball 03-26-2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99b4c (Post 364947)
Thanks Scotty, hope we see a delete code on the future 5th gens. I just dont see the reasoning behind making a "service" standard built into the car, not everyone wants Onstar service like A/C and power windows.

Now I can wait for a used 1SS since I cant order the car the way I want it.

OnStar is a marketing scheme designed to make more money for GM, that's all it is.

Within a month after I buy my 1SS, the sharkfin is comming off and the hole sealed, and the rear view mirror is getting removed for an auto dimming with built in homelink. Since neither of those come with the 1SS, I'll kill 3 birds with one stone: get rid of the mirror with onstar buttons, get the auto dim function, and get the Homelink.

Shaggy 03-27-2009 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rollin Thunder (Post 354889)
Isnt the shark fin a quad band antenna, meaning it not only picks up onstar and XM it gets the regualr am/fm signal too??? I know my Yukon and corvette are like that. I have this little antenna over my head in the yukon (black and ugly) and this body color antenna on the trunk of the corvette.

In your yukon, your radio antenna is in the rear right glass. You can see the wires in the glass..

Boogie832 03-27-2009 05:39 AM

I've heard stories where police had the onstar system activated to trace the whereabouts of someone. Now, those someone's may or may have not have created a crime. Might just be other reasons. I bet too that the person with the car never thought about being traced due to onstar which they weren't using or paying for. My point is for all of you (and me) buying this car (or any other car with onstar), if anything, ANYTHING, down lifes road happens to happen..... on well....you will be traced down, hunted down and found. Not everyone that decides to disapear is a criminal! Maybe, before you decide to run, maybe take a hammer to the anntena and hope signal doesn't still get out. On another note: that system might just save your life one day! Think about it!! I'm keeping mine!

fastball 03-27-2009 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boogie832 (Post 366254)
I've heard stories where police had the onstar system activated to trace the whereabouts of someone. Now, those someone's may or may have not have created a crime. Might just be other reasons. I bet too that the person with the car never thought about being traced due to onstar which they weren't using or paying for. My point is for all of you (and me) buying this car (or any other car with onstar), if anything, ANYTHING, down lifes road happens to happen..... on well....you will be traced down, hunted down and found. Not everyone that decides to disapear is a criminal! Maybe, before you decide to run, maybe take a hammer to the anntena and hope signal doesn't still get out. On another note: that system might just save your life one day! Think about it!! I'm keeping mine!

I'm cutting my antenna off and having a reputable body shop weld in a piece of steel in the hole, and then smooth, paint, and finish it so you could never tell there was anything there.

I'm also removing the stock rear view mirror with all the onstar buttons and installing an auto dimming mirror with homelink built in (since I'm getting a 1SS).

Rogue Leader 03-27-2009 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by interrex (Post 366250)
XM has turned into a right wing left wing yell fest. The "rock" stations are not worth the money. AND THEY HAVE COMMERCIALS YOU PAY FOR.

Umm... I listen to all the music stations which have no commercials, Howard Stern does have commercials because thats the only way he can pull off a 4 hour + show and they can afford to have him there, they are very short anyway. I don't know what you are listening to....

Rogue Leader 03-27-2009 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boogie832 (Post 366254)

Id hope none of us get into that situation, however a Coffee can can easily disable your Onstar antenna. Literally, put a Coffee can over it and you're good to go.