Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Custom Rear Seat Delete (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178229)

BaylorCamaro 10-23-2011 02:44 PM

Custom Rear Seat Delete
 
**I do NOT have measurements or a template for this. Everything was done on the fly, I took rough measurements, cut out the plywood and test fit cutting where necessary**

Taking out the rear seats is super easy, just five bolts and then lift it out. I've had my rear seats out for about two weeks and saw a rear seat delete kit online for $250 :yikes: There was no way I was going to pay that much. So I decided to try and make one myself. It was actually pretty easy, despite using unorthodox methods of measuring..

http://i54.tinypic.com/2gv3dsj.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/2r4lsle.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/oput7o.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/2el6rzc.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/ih4j2f.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/eiq0l.jpg

And the rear seat delete installed in the car

http://i56.tinypic.com/2jbjgc8.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/c6lwj.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/6eooau.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/25jfcz4.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/9zu9vs.jpg

Due to the battery cable I had to make a U shaped cut here to allow the board to lay flat.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2eqf0ap.jpg

metthem 10-23-2011 02:53 PM

whats the purpose?

SC2150 10-23-2011 03:00 PM

Nice!!! Purpose? Wieght reduction. Every 100# is a tenth in the 1/4 mile and not sure in a road race course, but every pound matters. :thumbsup:

BaylorCamaro 10-23-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metthem (Post 3918630)
whats the purpose?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC2150 (Post 3918645)
Nice!!! Purpose? Wieght reduction. Every 100# is a tenth in the 1/4 mile and not sure in a road race course, but every pound matters. :thumbsup:

Multiple things, weight reduction what I made weights about 4-5lbs. I'm tired of dragging all of my friends around (roommate has a Corvette so he never drives), and I'm a college student with a lot of time on the weekends :laugh:

Squintz Palladoris 10-23-2011 03:56 PM

Nice work:w00t:, I planned to do this myself as well. The "kit" for 250 looks great but definately not worth the coin. The back seat in these cars is more for looks anyways lol.

What material did you use? Looks like wood in the 1st photo. Thickness?

BTW you can take more weight out by removing the rear seat belts ;)

Thanks,
Brad

BaylorCamaro 10-23-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squintz Palladoris (Post 3918796)
What material did you use? Looks like wood in the 1st photo. Thickness?

It was about 1/4 inch of wood. I picked up the carpet at a place right by my house it matches the OEM carpet almost perfectly. I'm really happy I was able to match it so closely. The 1/4 inch wood is really strong, but I wouldn't sit on it. I had my lap top, helmet and a few other things sitting on it when I went to the drag strip and it stayed in place perfectly. I really couldn't be happier with the results.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squintz Palladoris (Post 3918796)
BTW you can take more weight out by removing the rear seat belts ;)

Yeah that's true, I can't imagine they weight that much though, could they? I haven't looked into how to remove them yet however..

BaylorCamaro 10-23-2011 08:02 PM

For anyone who is interested in more information check out my blog..

http://baylorcamaro.blogspot.com/

DietCoke 10-23-2011 11:55 PM

You should produce these. I'll probably end up buying one. My cutting and interior work always looks hack.

BaylorCamaro 10-23-2011 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DietCoke (Post 3920419)
You should produce these. I'll probably end up buying one. My cutting and interior work always looks hack.

Haha, I would if enough people were interested. The way I have to purchase the carpet / board its enough for about 2 or so. I estimated the cost it would take if you were to make it with just enough material. In reality it cost me more like $110-120, which is still far cheaper than buy a "professional" kit..

Squintz Palladoris 10-25-2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaylorAirForce (Post 3918834)
It was about 1/4 inch of wood. I picked up the carpet at a place right by my house it matches the OEM carpet almost perfectly. I'm really happy I was able to match it so closely. The 1/4 inch wood is really strong, but I wouldn't sit on it. I had my lap top, helmet and a few other things sitting on it when I went to the drag strip and it stayed in place perfectly. I really couldn't be happier with the results.



Yeah that's true, I can't imagine they weight that much though, could they? I haven't looked into how to remove them yet however..

They may not weigh much but if you arent using them you are still carrying them around. It all adds up when shaving weight off the car.

tony1 11-13-2011 10:47 AM

I'd like to see a delete kit come out that comes straight out to the back of the fronts seats.. like the trunk space extends all the way to the back and the kit don't look like a seat or that one was ever there. Like the Vette,350Z etc... like every car that's a 2 seater.... if this is even possible and will look good.

Madness11 11-13-2011 01:42 PM

That is pretty awesome Ohio Speed. That would look good in my car.

HufferSS 11-13-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro (Post 3920424)
Haha, I would if enough people were interested. The way I have to purchase the carpet / board its enough for about 2 or so. I estimated the cost it would take if you were to make it with just enough material. In reality it cost me more like $110-120, which is still far cheaper than buy a "professional" kit..

I'd be in for 1.

hcoll003 10-11-2012 06:20 PM

Has anyone else done a rear seat delete?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.