Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   DIY Change Radio LEDs (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180009)

anglwngss 11-02-2011 12:02 AM

DIY Change Radio LEDs
 
Sorry for the wait everyone. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions, though I can't guarantee I'll be able to answer them all! lol

Anyway, onward to the DIY.


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...adio/Step1.jpg


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...adio/Step2.jpg



http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...adio/Step3.jpg


There are 4 different sizes of screws to this thing. Unfortunately, I did not mark what went where, sorry about that.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...dio/Screws.jpg


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...adio/Step4.jpg


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...adio/Step5.jpg


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...adio/Step6.jpg


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...adio/Step7.jpg

Somewhere around here, I skipped a step. The larger circuit board is connected to the black housing by a white connector plug. You will need to disconnect the circuit board from the black housing. I don't have a picture of this, sorry.

Do NOT attempt to remove the screen from the metal housing bracket. It is not required in order to get to the circuit board. Most likely, if you do this, you will end up damaging the LCD screen.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...adio/Step8.jpg

Do NOT attempt to remove the screen from the metal housing bracket. It is not required in order to get to the circuit board. Most likely, if you do this, you will end up damaging the LCD screen.


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...adio/Step9.jpg


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...dio/Step10.jpg


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...dio/Step11.jpg


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...dio/Step12.jpg

The LEDs used in the picture below were 1206s.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...dio/Step13.jpg


To put back together, Follow in reverse order... Here are some tips to keep in mind and hopefully, help out as well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../Together1.jpg


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../Together2.jpg


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../Together3.jpg


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../Together4.jpg


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../Together5.jpg


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../Together6.jpg


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../Together7.jpg


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Together75.jpg


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../Together8.jpg


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Together85.jpg


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../Together9.jpg


My final products
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...rstAttempt.jpg


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ondAttempt.jpg


The_cartoonist_88 11-02-2011 12:06 AM

Awesome job, you going to do one one the gauges as well?

anglwngss 11-02-2011 12:08 AM

Speed/Tach gauges? Already done:http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162226

572HP 11-03-2011 11:56 AM

Angel,
Awesome job as usual! I wish I would have found this thread before doing my radio. It would have saved my LCD!!!

FYI...white backlight looks amazing. I'll post some pics showing my damaged LCD also.

anglwngss 11-03-2011 12:30 PM

Thanks, I'd love to see the pics. Are you doing all the LED mods to both cars, or only one?

572HP 11-03-2011 12:40 PM

Only the convertible. I'm not doing any mods to the coupe. Trying to sell it.

572HP 11-03-2011 04:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Pics in the dark are difficult! :D

Here is everything completed (less changing out the LCD panel when I can find a replacement and the HUD when I find time).
  • Backlight of Speedo and Radio changed to white.
  • Halos on speedo changed to red.
  • Numbers on Speedo and 4-pack gauges changed to white.
  • Shifter LED (5mm) changed to white.
  • Headlight,HUD,Convertible top,window switches changed to white.
  • Traction Control changed to red.
  • Steering Wheel changed to red (white did not match others due to light filters).

CaryE1 11-14-2011 12:37 PM

I also posted this in the "What did you do to your Camaro today" thread, but heres what I did to my radio this weekend:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6058/...a7e3db88_b.jpg

And here's the whole dash, now:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6118/...f1e69353_b.jpg

In this pic, the letters look orange - but the display is actually a deep red and looks much better IRL. I shorted the board on one light, but it's difficult to see where unless I point it out. Also, I had planned to change out all the controls, but I really like the contrast with the blue/red, and am thinking I will just keep this as is. Now just need to tackle the switches in the steering wheel, and the interior is about done :)

anglwngss 11-14-2011 01:30 PM

That looks kinda neat. Good job!

wylde1 11-17-2011 10:00 AM

.
 
1 Attachment(s)
.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by 572HP (Post 3965937)
Pics in the dark are difficult! :D

Here is everything completed (less changing out the LCD panel when I can find a replacement and the HUD when I find time).
  • Backlight of Speedo and Radio changed to white.
  • Halos on speedo changed to red.
  • Numbers on Speedo and 4-pack gauges changed to white.
  • Shifter LED (5mm) changed to white.
  • Headlight,HUD,Convertible top,window switches changed to white.
  • Traction Control changed to red.
  • Steering Wheel changed to red (white did not match others due to light filters).


CamaroVision 11-18-2011 03:04 PM

So how did he get the Blue circle blue, but the snowflake and the nearest hash mark to be white if your greens ones bled thru to the others?

anglwngss 11-18-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroVision (Post 4041910)
So how did he get the Blue circle blue, but the snowflake and the nearest hash mark to be white if your greens ones bled thru to the others?

Because the blue and red circles ARE actually blue and red. So any LEDs behind that will slightly alter the color of the circles. White LEDs make them more, ah, vibrant?, while the green behind the blue makes it more of a greenish color.

572HP 11-22-2011 04:12 PM

After posting a "Wanted to Buy" thread for a dash unit and being patient, I was finally able to purchase a unit from a member who swapped theirs for a Metra dash kit. I received it in the mail about an hour ago, and was able to swap the LCD.

I wish I would have seen this thread before venturing out on my own...cause I would have been warned about not removing the metal plate on the LCD.

anglwngss 11-22-2011 06:44 PM

I wish you would've seen it too, but I am glad you got it back together and looking good!

572HP 11-22-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anglwngss (Post 4062939)
I wish you would've seen it too, but I am glad you got it back together and looking good!

No harm done! I still very much appreciate you starting these threads. Without the speedo thread, I would haven't taken this on.

Fyi...if anyone (now or future) needs anything else on the dash control...I now have an extra functioning unit but the LCD is missing some rows, and there is a thin scratch on the front cover over the LCD.

Kangmaro 12-02-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaryE1 (Post 4013950)
I also posted this in the "What did you do to your Camaro today" thread, but heres what I did to my radio this weekend:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6058/...a7e3db88_b.jpg

And here's the whole dash, now:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6118/...f1e69353_b.jpg

In this pic, the letters look orange - but the display is actually a deep red and looks much better IRL. I shorted the board on one light, but it's difficult to see where unless I point it out. Also, I had planned to change out all the controls, but I really like the contrast with the blue/red, and am thinking I will just keep this as is. Now just need to tackle the switches in the steering wheel, and the interior is about done :)




Shut the hell up!? The RED looks AWESOME Cary!! :bow:
Great job on that install... wish I can do that to mine!? I really miss that about my '01 Friebird I traded for my RS, it's the all RED dash lighting :cry:

Bill F 12-15-2011 01:55 PM

Has anyone figured out how to change the color of the rings on the radio and a/c knobs? I'd like to make mine blue if I could.

anglwngss 12-15-2011 01:57 PM

not unless you can find someone to make that interior ring a different color. See picture in first post, 5th up from the bottom.

Bill F 12-15-2011 02:05 PM

Yeah I figured that was the case. Wasn't sure if there was a scrape and paint method like for the gauge needles or if the rings were red plastic. I'll keep thinking about it! Thanks.

anglwngss 12-15-2011 02:19 PM

They're red f*&%$$# plastic!! (which I absolutely HATE-can you tell??) But if you do find something, let us know!!

SSTREETKING 12-15-2011 02:39 PM

This is awesome!

BadillosRs 02-20-2012 08:16 PM

Wish i knew how to do that

JookeTheSnooke 08-19-2012 09:14 PM

How many of each type of LEDs r needed for the radio. Are only 1206s used or can I use 0805s

anglwngss 08-20-2012 12:01 AM

Exactly how many LEDs you need are going to depend on which LEDs you're wanting to change.

JookeTheSnooke 08-20-2012 10:56 AM

i just want change all the aqua leds to dark blue


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.