Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   550 WHP N/A (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180669)

rstawara 11-05-2011 08:05 AM

550 WHP N/A

Any opinions or tips for reaching this number on a 100% N/A build?

brantley847 11-05-2011 08:16 AM

http://blog.timesunion.com/farmlife/...on-dollars.jpg

nycoupe11 11-05-2011 08:23 AM

lol well said reaper ...On another note...aggresive cam, ported heads.. wont be very streetable i dont believe..and 550 is hard to hit

Blueclyde 11-05-2011 08:36 AM

Cubic inches and money...

rstawara 11-05-2011 08:37 AM

What would a more realistic figure be? JRE 470 cam on the way. Then looking to do about all the bolt ons for now.

IROCanSS 11-05-2011 08:44 AM

Most cars I've seen with agressive cam, heads, full bolt ons get to right around 500 on the stock short block.

Can I ask you this... Why? Are you just chasing a number so you can wave your dyno sheet and say look at me... look at me, I dynoed over 500 NA... I cant drive the car but it makes mad power!!! Sounds dumb. If you want high HP and torque, slap a blower on it otherwise a streetable build is going to be in the 420 rwhp range without a cam, up to about 460 with agressive cam and no head work... If you work the heads and intake but don't stroke it, you'll get close to 500. 550 is a pipe dream on a stock short block without stroking it or blower.

rstawara 11-05-2011 08:50 AM

Unfortunately my head is not quite that big. No just a figure i set, to see if it was within reach. With your input it is clear that i wont reach that. I was considering Stroking it also. My idea was to get some feedback on parts and ideas of others who know more than i do. 550 out the the question..... :(

Blueclyde 11-05-2011 09:02 AM

I make 482 with about all you can do to an LS3 with bolt ons. The car is still drivable and sounds unreal. 550 is not achievable on a stock block.

JANNETTYRACING 11-05-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueclyde (Post 3973086)
Cubic inches and money...

Ditto!

Being that 93 octane is the Limiter, 470-480 is the most realistic numbers you can expect out of a 376 Cubic inch Daily Driver.

There is No substitute for Cubic inches, You can expect about 1.2 more RWHP Per Cubic Inch Added All other things being Equal up to the Point of utilizing all the head flow available.

Once you max out the heads Max HP just moves to a lower RPM with more Cubic inches.

The 376 has a Hard Time Maxing out the LS3 Head because it is soo Good!

I hope this didn't confuse anyone.

IROCanSS 11-05-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING (Post 3973208)
Ditto!

Being that 93 octane is the Limiter, 470-480 is the most realistic numbers you can expect out of a 376 Cubic inch Daily Driver.

There is No substitute for Cubic inches, You can expect about 1.2 more RWHP Per Cubic Inch Added All other things being Equal up to the Point of utilizing all the head flow available.

Once you max out the heads Max HP just moves to a lower RPM with more Cubic inches.

The 376 has a Hard Time Maxing out the LS3 Head because it is soo Good!

I hope this didn't confuse anyone.

I read this as 376 cu. in. is not enough to max out the LS3 heads??? Correct?

To the OP.... I wasn't trying to be a jerk about the waving the dyno sheet comment... it just seems that far too many times people chase a number and don't really know why.

Trust me when I say this...

Full bolt ons (intake, headers, exhaust), agressive cam, tune and the JRE (LPE 3.91) gears...

PLUS:

Springs/sways, bushings and a few other tweaks... The car is a totally different beast!

I have 4 things left on my list but they are all costly:
-1 piece aluminum driveshaft ~$900
-agressive but blower friendly cam package ~$1600
-JRE/LPE 3.91 gears ~$2300
-blower.... (way down the road) ~lots of $$$$ :facepalm: but worth it.

JANNETTYRACING 11-05-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IROCanSS (Post 3973228)
I read this as 376 cu. in. is not enough to max out the LS3 heads??? Correct?

To the OP.... I wasn't trying to be a jerk about the waving the dyno sheet comment... it just seems that far too many times people chase a number and don't really know why.

Trust me when I say this...

Full bolt ons (intake, headers, exhaust), agressive cam, tune and the JRE (LPE 3.91) gears...

PLUS:

Springs/sways, bushings and a few other tweaks... The car is a totally different beast!

I have 4 things left on my list but they are all costly:
-1 piece aluminum driveshaft ~$900
-agressive but blower friendly cam package ~$1600
-JRE/LPE 3.91 gears ~$2300
-blower.... (way down the road) ~lots of $$$$ :facepalm: but worth it.

That would Be correct and it really shows it's colors when you add a blower, the numbers are Previously Unheard of out of Production heads.

I absolutely agree, The Numbers game can run away from us 470 RWHP is a REALLY FAST CAR.

Ted.

CC Performance 11-05-2011 10:02 AM

heads cam and a lot rpms with your current engine...

An Ls3 427 would hit the mark nicely

The LS3 head is ok.. it flows decent enough but the valves are big and placement isn't the greatest...
Don't know if you seen the vid of the 427 we did recently... 547hp and 520 tq at the rear tires... small to medium sized cam using tfs 235 heads.... a bigger cam and TFS 245's would hit 550 not an issue.

Using your block and stroking it to a 427 and massaging the heads would net the same.. would cost about 9500 by the time its done. It would be 100% more reliable than stuffing a s/c on your current engine that is not built for it.

The problem with camming it only is you move the rpm range up the scale unless your adding a smaller cam than stock.. say you made 400 hp at 6000 rpms... now you would make 430 hp at 6700 rpms... just a quick example.. cams are good for a little bit of HP but move things a bit and require more rpms to make power.. they also take away a little bit from the low end hp and grunt.... they do add power though.. but the car is not light.. taking power off the bottom end to increase to top end has its nuances... the car is quicker making more power but it only comes on when your at the correct rpm...
cam and heads is a better but again the car is strapped by the weight of the car... Its a balance that needs to be achieved... unless your drag racing where you leave the line at a hi enough rpm that it doesn't matter.. but on the streets its can be somewhat doggish until you get to your powerband..... with heavy cars bigger cubes are the only way to go IMO.. Cams are good for small gains. The power is made in the heads

Sack Rat 2SS 11-05-2011 10:56 AM

I am NA on a mild street cam and 427 CI. I could easily get a higher peak rwhp with a cam change but would give up some streetability. :chevy:

CC Performance 11-05-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sack Rat 2SS (Post 3973506)
I am NA on a mild street cam and 427 CI. I could easily get a higher peak rwhp with a cam change but would give up some streetability. :chevy:

Are those your numbers??
Thats grossly underpowerd for a 427, not trying to insult you either.. just amazed that your only putting down 500

We made 500 with a head a cam 346 and our 383 makes about 40 more hp than that at the tires as well. You should be able to make more hp than that and not lose tq. Something is not right there... unless you have a stock cam in it?