Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Wheels/Tires (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Spare tire delete? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184567)

2012ZL1 11-26-2011 10:02 AM

Spare tire delete?
 
SGC - Spare Tire Delete

Never heard of this option. Do they just supply car with no spare tire? do you get a credit, or what is the reason for deleting the spare tire?:iono:

oldfriend 11-26-2011 10:05 AM

The other option is they supply the spare tire and you get the car from someone else !

midnighter 11-26-2011 10:05 AM

:iono: too heavy?

oldfriend 11-26-2011 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnighter (Post 4079524)
:iono: too heavy?

Man , you move quite a lot :headbang:

midnighter 11-26-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldfriend (Post 4079530)
Man , you move quite a lot :headbang:

Yep

2012ZL1 11-26-2011 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldfriend (Post 4079523)
The other option is they supply the spare tire and you get the car from someone else !

lol....I guess my wording opened me up for that....

slick rick 11-26-2011 10:43 AM

Most likely the same reason it's deleted on the SS :popcorn: The spare doesn't fit over the brakes and a full size tire won't fit in the spare tire well in the trunk.

htron50 11-26-2011 10:44 AM

Are ZL1 Tires Run Flat?
 
I don't know much about tires. I know I usually would not drive anywhere without one. The last thing I want to do is leave my car stranded somewhere while I try to get a flat fixed somewhere, or try to locate a tire repair shop some Sunday afternoon.

I insist on insuring I will not be stranded. Any education on this appreciated. A pretty good idea for this thread by the way! An area not really covered yet. Thanks

JoshBobGuptaMarley 11-26-2011 10:49 AM

I took the tire and jack out and I've had AAA for 10 years. They will hook me up, I also have a friend who owns a cab service and I'll just call, have him or one of his guys bring me my tire.

slick rick 11-26-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htron50 (Post 4079659)
I don't know much about tires. I know I usually would not drive anywhere without one. The last thing I want to do is leave my car stranded somewhere while I try to get a flat fixed somewhere, or try to locate a tire repair shop some Sunday afternoon.

I insist on insuring I will not be stranded. Any education on this appreciated. A pretty good idea for this thread by the way! An area not really covered yet. Thanks

Here's what some SS guys are doing http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126448

htron50 11-26-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slick rick (Post 4079702)

Thanks slick! Very informative. Recommend to all to check out that thread.
:thumbsup:

gmgdave 11-26-2011 11:27 AM

The battery is where the spare would be....and the tires are not run flats

htron50 11-26-2011 11:58 AM

Here is a link to possible wheel adaptor to allow smaller rims/donuts to fit over new calipers.... not sure! But worth checking
http://www.ezaccessory.com/Hub_Centr...475-5475hv.htm

1BADZL1 11-26-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmgdave (Post 4079808)
....and the tires are not run flats

That is funny you mentioned that as my dealer was pointing out differences between a vette and a camaro...
One being you can run the vette on a flat tire for 60 miles or so...
The camaro you cant... :rolleyes:

1BADZL1 11-26-2011 03:39 PM

someone post a link where we can buy this kit on ebay as the other one in the other thread is not available anymore.
This would be the first thing id buy for the ZL1 for sure..
How much is the complete kit with wheel tire, hub and jack anyone know?

Pappa Joe 11-26-2011 05:18 PM

Me thinks your spare tire is a can of foam!

HDRDTD 11-26-2011 05:26 PM

This has been debated long on other Camaro forums here.
basically, if you have an SS with the bigger brembo brakes, then the wheels that will clear the larger calipers won't fit in the usual spare tire well.
To offset that, they give you a small air compressor and a can of fix-a-flat type stuff.
In addition, you always have either your own insurance company coverage, or at the least, most of us have OnStar that we can call in the case of a flat tire.

Speechsteve 11-26-2011 05:34 PM

Not that I have been shopping around but....GT500s have the spare tire delete as well and leave the dealership with an air pump and integrated can of fix a flat. The system attaches to the existing spare tire hold down in the trunk.

Maybe Chevy has a similar plan.

Mr. Wyndham 11-26-2011 05:41 PM

Easy answer: To save weight. :thumbsup:

suplex 11-26-2011 05:43 PM

I made sure I got a spare tire on purpose. I keep it in the trunk. I love rotating my tires myself when it's time to, and I don't see the possibility with no spare.

Mr. Wyndham 11-26-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suplex (Post 4080836)
I made sure I got a spare tire on purpose. I keep it in the trunk. I love rotating my tires myself when it's time to, and I don't see the possibility with no spare.

Just curious....did you order a ZL1? If so - the tires cannot be rotated.

suplex 11-26-2011 05:49 PM

:yikes:OMG, I am so sorry. I didn't realize that this was the ZL1 section of the forum. I got a spare for my 1LT.

I won't make that mistake again. Sorry everyone. :facepalm:

adamgl 11-26-2011 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 4080826)
Easy answer: To save weight. :thumbsup:

+1

Cell phone is a lot lighter than a spare tire, lol.

fielderLS3 11-26-2011 06:00 PM

Probably several reasons. To save weight. To cut cots. The spare won't fit over the brakes, etc...

I'm betting you have a little can of sealant + 12 volt inflater in the spare tire well in the trunk. That's what my car has.

Besides, for most people, the spare tire is useless anyway. It would probably be flat in your trunk the one time you need it. Seriously, how many people check their spare?

Mr. Wyndham 11-26-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suplex (Post 4080867)
:yikes:OMG, I am so sorry. I didn't realize that this was the ZL1 section of the forum. I got a spare for my 1LT.

I won't make that mistake again. Sorry everyone. :facepalm:

No, you're good! :)

I just wanted to make sure, in case...:laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamgl (Post 4080886)
+1

Cell phone is a lot lighter than a spare tire, lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fielderLS3 (Post 4080919)
Besides, for most people, the spare tire is useless anyway. It would probably be flat in your trunk the one time you need it. Seriously, how many people check their spare?

I check it on the Cobalt...but I can't say I'd actually use it, to be honest. Like adamgl says...cell phone is lighter...and in some cases quicker...almost all cases safer. ;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.