Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   3,400 Lb Z/28? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194285)

ShnOmac 01-08-2012 02:19 PM

3,400 Lb Z/28?
 
If this is true it could make for a very intriguing 2016 Z/28....


"Cadillac claims a less than 3,400-pound curb weight on the ATS will be one of the lowest in the segment along with nearly 50/50 weight balance."

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...roit-auto-show






EDIT: The weight is true :confused0068:

"All-new, lightweight, rear-wheel-drive architecture with one of the lowest curb weights in the segment – less than 3,400 pounds"

Post 16... Thanks Fen. :thumbsup:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...23#post4277923

ShnOmac 01-08-2012 02:30 PM

3400 lb's and a DI V8 please.....

Mr Twisty 01-08-2012 02:31 PM

:popcorn:

Imagine a 5th gen V8 in that little squirt!


.... you beat me... BMTA :D

ShnOmac 01-08-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 (Post 4277966)
:popcorn:

Imagine a 5th gen V8 in that little squirt!

:word:

As much as I want a 5th Gen Z/28 I can see them waiting to use the name plate on this platform.

Mr Twisty 01-08-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShnOmac (Post 4277974)
:word:

As much as I want a 5th Gen Z/28 I can see them waiting to use the name plate on this platform.

Would probably be heavier, but still... that's a nice diet

Mr Twisty 01-08-2012 02:35 PM

Might see our first TT V6 Z/28 :laugh:

:scared0016:

ShnOmac 01-08-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 (Post 4277981)
Might see our first TT V6 Z/28 :laugh:

:scared0016:

:paddle:



Buit it made me Lol.... :laugh:

htron50 01-08-2012 03:02 PM

OMG... seats getting smaller and smaller. Can't say it fits the avg American profile!

OldScoolCamaro 01-08-2012 03:07 PM

Well looks like all those clamoring for a lightened Camaro will have it!. And significantly I might add compared to Gen5. The upcoming Caddy and Camaro are based on the same architecture, so expect the weights to be very similar between them. Gen6 Camaro, as it looks now, will be back at the curb weight of the last of the F bodies in 2002. Well played GM, well played....:clap:

So, as Mac says...resurrect the Z-28 then for Gen6, and I propose they make a 1LE track pack version < aka Z-28, but not named as so> now for the last of the Gen5. :)

ShnOmac 01-08-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro (Post 4278069)

So, as Mac says...resurrect the Z-28 then for Gen6, and I propose they make a 1LE track pack version < aka Z-28, but not named as so> now for the last of the Gen5. :)

I am really torn.... I would really love to have a 5th Gen Z/28 but a 3400 pound Z/28 would be even better.

zogster 01-08-2012 04:36 PM

Great news, for all Camaro's, not just the Z/28.

htron50 01-08-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShnOmac (Post 4278325)
I am really torn.... I would really love to have a 5th Gen Z/28 but a 3400 pound Z/28 would be even better.

It truly would be Shock&Awesome... talk about GM Momentum..

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro (Post 4278069)
Well looks like all those clamoring for a lightened Camaro will have it!. And significantly I might add compared to Gen5. The upcoming Caddy and Camaro are based on the same architecture, so expect the weights to be very similar between them. Gen6 Camaro, as it looks now, will be back at the curb weight of the last of the F bodies in 2002. Well played GM, well played....:clap:

:word:

So, as Mac says...resurrect the Z-28 then for Gen6, and I propose they make a 1LE track pack version < aka Z-28, but not named as so> now for the last of the Gen5. :)

They've as much as made the 1LE a reality .... it would be a great filler til Gen6.

:word: :thumbsup:

Blue Maro Demon 01-08-2012 06:14 PM

Wow thats all im gonna say! Would looooove to have a new Orange or white Camaro Z28 or even better a light to medium Blue in 2016

fielderLS3 01-08-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShnOmac (Post 4277927)
If this is true it could make for a very intriguing 2016 Z/28....

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShnOmac (Post 4277965)
3400 lb's and a DI V8 please.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 (Post 4277966)
Imagine a 5th gen V8 in that little squirt!

Guys, I wouldn't hold my breath on that. From the article, it sounds like the ATS will START at 3400 pounds, for the N/A Ecotec 4-cyl version (an appalling choice to offer in a Cadillac by the way...reading that gives me instant flashbacks of the Cimmeron).

A 5th gen V8 Camaro would likely be closer to 3600+ lbs on the same platform. The only way you get a Z/28 Camaro at 3400 lbs will either be if it is a 4-cylinder, or if it turns out to be a "stripper" model, similar to what Porche does with certain models, where leather, power seats, air conditioning, a radio, most of the sound insulation, and possibly the back seats are deleted in an all out effort to reduce weight, or, some combination of both.

Mr Twisty 01-08-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro (Post 4278069)
Well looks like all those clamoring for a lightened Camaro will have it!. And significantly I might add compared to Gen5. The upcoming Caddy and Camaro are based on the same architecture, so expect the weights to be very similar between them. Gen6 Camaro, as it looks now, will be back at the curb weight of the last of the F bodies in 2002. Well played GM, well played....:clap:

So, as Mac says...resurrect the Z-28 then for Gen6, and I propose they make a 1LE track pack version < aka Z-28, but not named as so> now for the last of the Gen5. :)

You realize GM never called anything "track pack"
... actually, I think it's a chrysler thing. Gives me the heebyjeebies when ya'll use it.
...almost bad as calling a "wheel", a "rim". :mad0259:

nothing personal, just FYI

zogster 01-08-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fielderLS3 (Post 4278691)
Guys, I wouldn't hold my breath on that. From the article, it sounds like the ATS will START at 3400 pounds, for the N/A Ecotec 4-cyl version (an appalling choice to offer in a Cadillac by the way...reading that gives me instant flashbacks of the Cimmeron).

A 5th gen V8 Camaro would likely be closer to 3600+ lbs on the same platform. The only way you get a Z/28 Camaro at 3400 lbs will either be if it is a 4-cylinder, or if it turns out to be a "stripper" model, similar to what Porche does with certain models, where leather, power seats, air conditioning, a radio, most of the sound insulation, and possibly the back seats are deleted in an all out effort to reduce weight, or, some combination of both.

You are partially right, in that I am sure the V8 will weigh more than the I4 in the ATS, however the ATS will have a lot of features as standard equipment that will be options on the Camaro. For all we know, a "stripper" model of an ATS could weigh in at 3200lbs, but since it is a Cadillac and not a Chevy (meaning you can't order it as a stripper model) we will never know.

ATS also will have more glass and two more doors on it. I would imagine doors add weight and I know glass does.

That said, I doubt the aluminum hood would make it on the Camaro, and the magnesium engine mount brackets might not either.

What can be said, with pretty good certainty, is that the next Camaro will be significantly lighter than the current one.

One other thing to think about is how big the Camaro will be compared to the ATS. Same platform, but what about overall length? ATS is about 6 inches shorter than the Gen5, does that mean the Gen6 Camaro will be smaller than the current car? That could add weight as well.

FenwickHockey65 01-08-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fielderLS3 (Post 4278691)
Guys, I wouldn't hold my breath on that. From the article, it sounds like the ATS will START at 3400 pounds, for the N/A Ecotec 4-cyl version (an appalling choice to offer in a Cadillac by the way...reading that gives me instant flashbacks of the Cimmeron).

A 5th gen V8 Camaro would likely be closer to 3600+ lbs on the same platform. The only way you get a Z/28 Camaro at 3400 lbs will either be if it is a 4-cylinder, or if it turns out to be a "stripper" model, similar to what Porche does with certain models, where leather, power seats, air conditioning, a radio, most of the sound insulation, and possibly the back seats are deleted in an all out effort to reduce weight, or, some combination of both.

Actually...GM just issued another press release regarding the ATS's engines.

Quote:

With the 3.6L V-6, for example, there is 1 horsepower for every 10.8 pounds of vehicle weight.
The 3.6L is rated at 315 HP. 315 HP * 10.8 lb = 3402 lbs.

Perhaps my math is wrong...but this may just be a VERY light car.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.