Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Sealant (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19541)

rforbes 04-22-2009 04:13 PM

Sealant

I have a friend that owns his own vehicle detailing service, and he has a sealant that I am going to have him put on my maro that looks great and is almost bulletproof. I used it on a previous ride I had, and I loved it! No waxing ever necessary! Protects againsts scratches, nicks UC rays, etc..
This is similar to the process the dealers try to sell to you for $700.00 and it costs them about $75.00

69 Hugger 04-22-2009 04:31 PM

Are you talking about Glare ? www.glare.com

Nexus6 04-22-2009 09:52 PM

There are some dangerous products on that site.I mean if you dont know what your doing.I dont mean the products themselves are dangerous,but in the wrong hands the person could really jack up their paint.I hope nobody uses the "Glare zero" that isn't a professional with a high speed buffer.I am interested in seeing some cars polished with this product.

dayvedayve 04-22-2009 10:08 PM

http://gatorbackcoatings.com/protective2/home.htm

I was going to try this. I had my Avalanche cladding done with their product. It worked great. I have heard the same about the paint sealent.

Nexus6 04-22-2009 10:14 PM

I think you guys are making paint sealant out to be more than what it is.It does not last forever.You should do it once a year or if you are about to go to a car show.That is you after washed it and polished it before hand.Every year i polish my car with the Z2 Z6 merry-go-round,and finish it off with the Z8 sealant.It costs 19.95 plus some elbow grease.

fixxer56 05-29-2009 02:48 PM

My dealer is offering this service. Is it worth it or can I do it myself? They're guaranteeing it for 6 years. I'm skeptical.

Moose 05-29-2009 05:27 PM

I may be wrong, but I recall detailing a car for a customer, an early model year Toyota Corolla, and was told it too was treated with a "sealant".

From what I saw, the car didn't have a decent shine, and the paint was "so so" until I treated the paint with a polish.

Personally, unless you absolutey don't want to spend the time and/or effort in polsihing/waxing the car yourself, then go with the sealant. BUt I prefer a good, quality wax/polish.

rdono 05-29-2009 09:24 PM

Paint protect from a pro

As a pro I want to offer this: It is all BS, plain & simple. The sealants (perma-plate being the first and Luster glaze and many others today) are not guaranteed for any length of time. They are guaranteed for "up to" the dollar amount you spent for the product, and then only if you followed the maintained schedule.

Further as someone stated it doesn't last for any length of time unless you reinstate it (eat. re-apply it). These products are designed to be moneymakers for dealers. The cost of the best product we have found to date is about $50-75.00 per vehicle (our cost), application takes an experienced pro about 4 hours (new car) and retails at most dealerships for $500 & up.

As for Clear shields, they are like car bras, which I wrote about, in several major automotive publications back in the early 80's. They can take away some paint issues but can cause others. With a Clear Shield type product you will not get rock chips, but you may get dis-coloration or blistering of your paint if applied over paint that is too fresh. But by time any of us get these cars we should be safe on this issue, but here is the big problem: Say you damage the bumper or nose of the car, when the old shield is removed most times the underlying paint is damaged, causing a major increase in repair costs, then if you donít allow the paint to sit (we wait 5 full days) you may have blistering of the paint as gasses have been trapped under the clear shield and can not escape. I believe 3M suggest either 30 or 90 days, yea right!

I donít want to go on and on, I just want everyone to understand there is no free ride. Your Camaro will be at it's best when you take delivery, from that point is all downhill (paint wise). For the best protection we have never found anything better that good old carnauba paste wax. We use Pro Yellow Wax (professional product now in stores) and Maguire or 3M's (they own them both) new performance finish products. These are designed for base coat- clear coat finishes and are especially good on urethane clears. These are easy on, easy off and offer reasonable protection for about 4-6 weeks (past wax is good for maybe 90 days @ best).

Wash the care regularly, wax or use the Performance Finish often and run the wheels off it. There are no free rides when it comes to protection your finish, just use your elbow grease.

R. Dono

www.cavallinos.com

gofast908z 05-31-2009 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdono (Post 532469)
As a pro I want to offer this: It is all BS, plain & simple. The sealants (perma-plate being the first and Luster glaze and many others today) are not guaranteed for any length of time. They are guaranteed for "up to" the dollar amount you spent for the product, and then only if you followed the maintained schedule.

Further as someone stated it doesn't last for any length of time unless you reinstate it (eat. re-apply it). These products are designed to be moneymakers for dealers. The cost of the best product we have found to date is about $50-75.00 per vehicle (our cost), application takes an experienced pro about 4 hours (new car) and retails at most dealerships for $500 & up.

As for Clear shields, they are like car bras, which I wrote about, in several major automotive publications back in the early 80's. They can take away some paint issues but can cause others. With a Clear Shield type product you will not get rock chips, but you may get dis-coloration or blistering of your paint if applied over paint that is too fresh. But by time any of us get these cars we should be safe on this issue, but here is the big problem: Say you damage the bumper or nose of the car, when the old shield is removed most times the underlying paint is damaged, causing a major increase in repair costs, then if you donít allow the paint to sit (we wait 5 full days) you may have blistering of the paint as gasses have been trapped under the clear shield and can not escape. I believe 3M suggest either 30 or 90 days, yea right!

I donít want to go on and on, I just want everyone to understand there is no free ride. Your Camaro will be at it's best when you take delivery, from that point is all downhill (paint wise). For the best protection we have never found anything better that good old carnauba paste wax. We use Pro Yellow Wax (professional product now in stores) and Maguire or 3M's (they own them both) new performance finish products. These are designed for base coat- clear coat finishes and are especially good on urethane clears. These are easy on, easy off and offer reasonable protection for about 4-6 weeks (past wax is good for maybe 90 days @ best).

Wash the care regularly, wax or use the Performance Finish often and run the wheels off it. There are no free rides when it comes to protection your finish, just use your elbow grease.

R. Dono

www.cavallinos.com

well said.

Road_Warrior85 05-31-2009 09:59 AM

What is the story on this Dupont CARe that the local dealer is trying to show me?
Anybody know?