Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Wheels/Tires (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   ZL1 WINTER TESTING TIRES (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196137)

KKreme15 01-17-2012 06:01 PM

ZL1 WINTER TESTING TIRES
 
What tires did they use when they tested the ZL1 at various tracks and proving grounds when the weather was cold? They couldn't have been summer tires, and I'm not sure anyone makes winter tires that would fit out back.

Discuss

rjansen 01-17-2012 07:20 PM

There are Pirelli tires that will fit the ZL1 available from Tire Rack, that I believe can be driven on in lower temps. I didn't compare. But these could be the same as the stock tires on the 2010-11 SS's. However, you'll give up some of the performance by switching. It is also stated that these are "Maximum Performance Summer" range tires, meaning that they are not designed to be driven in snow or on ice (Don't know of anyone dumb enough to do this!). No mention of not driving in temps lower than 40 degrees.

Sizes To Fit Your Vehicle

Click "View matching front and rear pairs". But sit down before you read the pricing!!

The IOM Ninja 01-17-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjansen (Post 4334805)
There are Pirelli tires that will fit the ZL1 available from Tire Rack, that I believe can be driven on in lower temps. I didn't compare. But these could be the same as the stock tires on the 2010-11 SS's. However, you'll give up some of the performance by switching. It is also stated that these are "Maximum Performance Summer" range tires, meaning that they are not designed to be driven in snow or on ice (Don't know of anyone dumb enough to do this!). No mention of not driving in temps lower than 40 degrees.

Sizes To Fit Your Vehicle

Click "View matching front and rear pairs". But sit down before you read the pricing!!

Those are the same tires that come on an SS, just sized to fit the ZL1

grimmace 01-17-2012 08:43 PM

is there an option out there that isn't a max performance summer tire? I won't be driving in the snow but if the weather is good i'd like the option of taking it out....

meb885 01-17-2012 09:57 PM

Can't remember if they were Pirelli Snow and Ice or P-Zero Neros on the CTF ZL1 i saw... Fairly sure Pirelli has a trailer and/or office on GM Tech Center Grounds.... they probably manufactured something specifically for the fleet.

KKreme15 01-18-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meb885 (Post 4335511)
Can't remember if they were Pirelli Snow and Ice or P-Zero Neros on the CTF ZL1 i saw... Fairly sure Pirelli has a trailer and/or office on GM Tech Center Grounds.... they probably manufactured something specifically for the fleet.

So does GM just expect us to board our cars for the winter?

hognutz 01-18-2012 12:47 AM

there are no winter tires in 305's. I think people are reading more into this tire thing but maybe I am wrong.

I run my NT05's on my vette all year, I ran the PS2's before that all year, I ran the F1 supercar g1'a all year.

if these G2's are that bad I will just switch to ps2's.

I mean the grip level goes down but you just have to react to it.

DGthe3 01-18-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KKreme15 (Post 4335989)
So does GM just expect us to board our cars for the winter?

Thats what most people do with high performance cars. Plus, most people that do use winter tires also use a set of winter wheels that are smaller, heavier, and narrower than their summer wheels. This helps them to get better traction in deep snow, and also protects their good rims against spring time potholes.

gbosh 01-19-2012 12:38 PM

As far as how gm ran tests at cold temps it seems to me that the cars where stored in a heated area. After going on the track it would not be any problem keeping the tires warm! Going into many turns around the track would generate lots of heat in the tires due to friction of the road surface and also remember they also would be on the brakes many times and with lots of pressure on the rotors,this would also transfer to the tires so once they start turning corners the tires will stay hot.

EvilZL1 01-19-2012 03:59 PM

Why does one have to stress about the Winter tires for the ZL1 so much? In my opinion, the Winter tires should have been included in the ordering process as a free stock option. We are spending over 50k for a vehicle that only is supported with summer tires and when the winter time rolls around we are screwed. We have to spend a good thousand more for tires that will only be used for 3 months at tops.

DGthe3 01-19-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSSylentZL1 (Post 4345470)
Why does one have to stress about the Winter tires for the ZL1 so much? In my opinion, the Winter tires should have been included in the ordering process as a free stock option. We are spending over 50k for a vehicle that only is supported with summer tires and when the winter time rolls around we are screwed. We have to spend a good thousand more for tires that will only be used for 3 months at tops.

I imagine its because there is a good chance that less than 1% of ZL1 buyers will ever plan on driving their car in cold, snowy, salty, winter conditions. Thats what their truck and/or beater is for.

whistle pig 01-19-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 4345588)
I imagine its because there is a good chance that less than 1% of ZL1 buyers will ever plan on driving their car in cold, snowy, salty, winter conditions. Thats what their truck and/or beater is for.


:word:

The harder you push the level of performance the less room there is for "dual" purpose anything.

I doubt anyone would be happy with winter tires that didnt hook up very well in the summer.

EvilZL1 01-19-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 4345588)
I imagine its because there is a good chance that less than 1% of ZL1 buyers will ever plan on driving their car in cold, snowy, salty, winter conditions. Thats what their truck and/or beater is for.

It seems like we are not going to get the vehicle as early as we want it and as soon as we receive the ZL1 we will need to save up for winter tires. We spend 60k during the summer only to spend another 1-2k on tires

KKreme15 01-19-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSSylentZL1 (Post 4347181)
It seems like we are not going to get the vehicle as early as we want it and as soon as we receive the ZL1 we will need to save up for winter tires. We spend 60k during the summer only to spend another 1-2k on tires

and probably wheels, too.

I don't want to have to ride around on aftermarket wheels just because it's 32 degrees outside :\

EvilZL1 01-19-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KKreme15 (Post 4347287)
and probably wheels, too.

I don't want to have to ride around on aftermarket wheels just because it's 32 degrees outside :\

Exactly my point. If I have to I will ride around with those tires and just lose some grip. There is no sense to spend over 2k every year for something that will be only used 3 months out the year.

DGthe3 01-19-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSSylentZL1 (Post 4347966)
Exactly my point. If I have to I will ride around with those tires and just lose some grip. There is no sense to spend over 2k every year for something that will be only used 3 months out the year.

2 grand? A year?

A quick trip to TireRack.com found some 19" rims that would fit the Camaro for under $200 a pop and tires for $150. So that means an entire set can be had for less than $1,400. And while we're at it, the tires should last at least 3 years. And the wheels? Probably until you get sick of them. Of course, if you want to get high performance winter tires, or something other than cheap cast aluminum rims, it will obviously cost you a lot more.

The alternative is to buy a beater. It should last at least as long as the winter tires for a grand for the same price, if not less. But you don't have to buy the rims and by taking the ZL1 off the road you'll save quite a bit on insurance for 3 months of the year. The resale value also goes up because a) it has fewer miles on it and b) you can advertise it as never having seen a winter, particularly important for those looking to buy a used high performance car.

And keep in mind that its not only the weather that threatens your ZL1 -but all the other cars on the road. Even if you have winter tires on your car, the guy behind you in his 4x4 truck might not. You stop, he doesn't ... truck wins.

EvilZL1 01-20-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 4348160)
2 grand? A year?

A quick trip to TireRack.com found some 19" rims that would fit the Camaro for under $200 a pop and tires for $150. So that means an entire set can be had for less than $1,400. And while we're at it, the tires should last at least 3 years. And the wheels? Probably until you get sick of them. Of course, if you want to get high performance winter tires, or something other than cheap cast aluminum rims, it will obviously cost you a lot more.

The alternative is to buy a beater. It should last at least as long as the winter tires for a grand for the same price, if not less. But you don't have to buy the rims and by taking the ZL1 off the road you'll save quite a bit on insurance for 3 months of the year. The resale value also goes up because a) it has fewer miles on it and b) you can advertise it as never having seen a winter, particularly important for those looking to buy a used high performance car.

And keep in mind that its not only the weather that threatens your ZL1 -but all the other cars on the road. Even if you have winter tires on your car, the guy behind you in his 4x4 truck might not. You stop, he doesn't ... truck wins.

With that being said, no being can prevent another person from hitting them. If it happens it happens, that can happen in the summer as well. Don't plan on buying a beater but I will search a bit more for the tires when the time comes and the ZL1 is on the streets. I plan to not stress on the tires for the ZL1.

DGthe3 01-20-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSSylentZL1 (Post 4348194)
With that being said, no being can prevent another person from hitting them. If it happens it happens, that can happen in the summer as well. Don't plan on buying a beater but I will search a bit more for the tires when the time comes and the ZL1 is on the streets. I plan to not stress on the tires for the ZL1.

Oh, of course not. But the odds of getting into an accident go up substantially when there's snow on the ground. I'm not saying its a sure thing, just trying to point out another reason why some people take their cars off the road for the winter.

If you do go with winter tires, try to get rims that are narrower and a smaller diameter. And for once, a heavy wheel is helpful -cuts through the snow better. Steelies would be best, but I don't think anyone makes steelies big enough to fit a ZL1 right now (I think it would take a 19", since 18's barely fit the SS and not all 18" designs do). Maybe there will be 19" steelies for the Camaro in 9 months, but I doubt it.

EvilZL1 01-20-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 4348219)
Oh, of course not. But the odds of getting into an accident go up substantially when there's snow on the ground. I'm not saying its a sure thing, just trying to point out another reason why some people take their cars off the road for the winter.

I understand what you are saying. I won't say I am not going to drive my ZL1 during because you never know. The chances are that I will, but just rarely and not hard driving. Plan on purchasing a car cover and all

KKreme15 01-20-2012 12:47 AM

I don't even want to drive in the snow, just in cold weather. It has yet to snow a considerable amount here in Maryland. I don't even think they've salted the ground once. I am obviously not stupid enough to take a 580 hp beast out in the snow, and I will have another car to drive. It would just be nice to not have to worry about my tire compound having a negative response to the cold weather.

adamgl 01-20-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 4348160)

The alternative is to buy a beater. It should last at least as long as the winter tires for a grand for the same price, if not less. But you don't have to buy the rims and by taking the ZL1 off the road you'll save quite a bit on insurance for 3 months of the year. The resale value also goes up because a) it has fewer miles on it and b) you can advertise it as never having seen a winter, particularly important for those looking to buy a used high performance car.

Off topic, but how do you guys get insurance discounts for not driving in the winter? I've had state farm and progressive on my Camaro. It's put away for like 4 months in the winter and low mileage per year. They said I can't get a discount without hooking up a tracker that reports mileage, and hard acceleration, deceleration for like a year. Then they could lower it based on driving habits. Who the hell drives a camaro and doesn't accelerate hard??? Lol.

Verbatim 01-20-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamgl (Post 4349091)
Off topic, but how do you guys get insurance discounts for not driving in the winter? I've had state farm and progressive on my Camaro. It's put away for like 4 months in the winter and low mileage per year. They said I can't get a discount without hooking up a tracker that reports mileage, and hard acceleration, deceleration for like a year. Then they could lower it based on driving habits. Who the hell drives a camaro and doesn't accelerate hard??? Lol.

I imagine what they would do is take the collision coverage off the car for the months they're not driving it, and just keep the comprehensive coverage on it in case it gets stolen, or the garage collapses.

IOMZL1 01-20-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamgl (Post 4349091)
Off topic, but how do you guys get insurance discounts for not driving in the winter? I've had state farm and progressive on my Camaro. It's put away for like 4 months in the winter and low mileage per year. They said I can't get a discount without hooking up a tracker that reports mileage, and hard acceleration, deceleration for like a year. Then they could lower it based on driving habits. Who the hell drives a camaro and doesn't accelerate hard??? Lol.

Change the coverage type in the winter to comprehensive coverage only. You'll have to call them if you want to drive it during that time. In the spring change back to full coverage.

KKreme15 01-24-2012 11:21 PM

:thumbup:

SUX2BU 01-25-2012 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSSylentZL1 (Post 4345470)
Why does one have to stress about the Winter tires for the ZL1 so much? In my opinion, the Winter tires should have been included in the ordering process as a free stock option. We are spending over 50k for a vehicle that only is supported with summer tires and when the winter time rolls around we are screwed. We have to spend a good thousand more for tires that will only be used for 3 months at tops.

Name any performance car that gives you a set extra set of wheels/tires for winter.

People need to quit being pansies.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.