Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bumleb's Camaro battery cable issue is almost Fixed, Issue Solved (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20287)

Bumleb 04-27-2009 10:05 PM

Bumleb's Camaro battery cable issue is almost Fixed, Issue Solved
 
Original thread stating problem with car -- http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20125

First and foremost I want to THANK EVERYONE who responded with great ideas and suggestions. I'm so thankful to all that lended their experiences and wise knowledge. I joined this forum because I googled my car and found it on this website. Wild it was my car that brought me here. Also, I want those that thought I was kidding or lying to know that I simply posted what I did for information purposes. I hope that my experience could only be heard by others and maybe prevent or help someone else. I understand that this car is new and the first one in a long time, I know there will be bumps, this is why I wish to share and be shared with. Knowledge is power afterall. I will not pretend to know a lot about my car, for I am a girl... Just kidding. ;) I have already learned so much from this website.:thumbup:

To all that said the Decepticons had a hand in it. I concur. That was absolutely my first thought.

So without further ado. We heard from the dealership, not but 3 hours after they opened and get this.... the battery cable that is routed from the trunk was routed near the starter and rubbed against it. The insulation wore through and the cable shorted out the starter causing a chain reaction, shutting the car down. They have not replaced the battery, and don't plan to. They are going to test it though. I sure do hope it's ok. I don't want to think about my battery being compromised. It's covered though, right? A new battery cable is reordered and should be installed Wednesday morning. They have also rerouted the cable. I should have my baby back Wednesday. I'm so so thankful.

So to all new camaro owners :chevy:, hopefully my incident is isolated and I am one of few, rather one of one! But, if for any reason your new camaro should just shut down, check the battery cable near the starter.:D

Again, thank you all for the wonderful responses. I'm so grateful to have joined such a wonderful forum. Glad I became a member, wish I would have joined years ago, or whenever it was started. I will be sure to hold a photo session when I get my car back and I will post for all to see.

Speechlessly Gracious,
S. OR BUMLEB:thumbsup:

bbody ss 04-27-2009 10:08 PM

Easy fix and glad it wasnt nothing major, probaly a lazy factory worker.

GothamCamaro 04-27-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumleb (Post 438914)
First and foremost I want to THANK EVERYONE who responded with great ideas and suggestions. I'm so thankful to all that lended their experiences and wise knowledge. I joined this forum because I googled my car and found it on this website. Wild it was my car that brought me here. Also, I want those that thought I was kidding or lying to know that I simply posted what I did for information purposes. I hope that my experience could only be heard by others and maybe prevent or help someone else. I understand that this car is new and the first one in a long time, I know there will be bumps, this is why I wish to share and be shared with. Knowledge is power afterall. I will not pretend to know a lot about my car, for I am a girl... Just kidding. ;) I have already learned so much from this website.:thumbup:

To all that said the Decepticons had a hand in it. I concur. That was absolutely my first thought.

So without further ado. We heard from the dealership, not but 3 hours after they opened and get this.... the battery cable that is routed from the trunk was routed near the starter and rubbed against it. The insulation wore through and the cable shorted out the starter causing a chain reaction, shutting the car down. They have not replaced the battery, and don't plan to. They are going to test it though. I sure do hope it's ok. I don't want to think about my battery being compromised. It's covered though, right? A new battery cable is reordered and should be installed Wednesday morning. They have also rerouted the cable. I should have my baby back Wednesday. I'm so so thankful.

So to all new camaro owners :chevy:, hopefully my incident is isolated and I am one of few, rather one of one! But, if for any reason your new camaro should just shut down, check the battery cable near the starter.:D

Again, thank you all for the wonderful responses. I'm so grateful to have joined such a wonderful forum. Glad I became a member, wish I would have joined years ago, or whenever it was started. I will be sure to hold a photo session when I get my car back and I will post for all to see.

Speechlessly Gracious,
S. OR BUMLEB:thumbsup:

Good to hear! I was reading your post earlier today and was hoping for a fast fix. Awesome! :happyanim:

Bumleb 04-27-2009 10:13 PM

Gosh I hope not.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbody ss (Post 438927)
Easy fix and glad it wasnt nothing major, probaly a lazy factory worker.


I'm sure they are all on their toes. Just a simple mistake, hopefully.

69er 04-27-2009 10:14 PM

I will keep this fix for future reference. I gonna see if there is a routing problem on my car similar to yours. I wonder if they are all routed where there is a chance of chafing or if yours was just routed incorrectly?

Also, who can explain why/how the key can't be removed if there is no power? Doesn't make sense.:iono:

fazm 04-27-2009 10:15 PM

glad its an easy fix for you. whats scary about this though is its a problem that could effect more than 1

CWI 04-27-2009 10:17 PM

Great to hear it was something simple. Sounds like the protection circuits did their job. Hopefully this did not create any other electronic issues with your car. I'll forward this thread to my dealer so they can check mine during PDI. Thanks for making us all aware of this issue right away and welcome to Camaro5.

Panther67 04-27-2009 10:20 PM

Happy to hear that
 
Very happy to hear that it was not something major to deal with, thank you for sharing your ordeal experience that didnt turn out to be a serious headache this is the reason for the forum so every one of us can lend a helping hand in case something comes up,KUDOS to you Bumleb from the people at Camaro5 happy trails......:chevy:......:thumbsup:......:w00t:... ...:cool:......:respekt:

DkknightX 04-27-2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbody ss (Post 438927)
Easy fix and glad it wasnt nothing major, probaly a lazy factory worker.

I think The Mole thought it was my car. :facepalm:

catmaster1 04-27-2009 10:23 PM

I will be checking this issue along with any other that may pop up on my car when it arrives.

TomServo 04-27-2009 10:28 PM

I've lurked on this, did the car just DIE w/o warning?? If so I'd hate to have that happen at freeway speeds or in a turn. And I hope it was just "your" cable that was "mis-routed" and not a design flaw. That would most likely spell our first RECALL.

PewterPhil 04-27-2009 10:31 PM

Whatever normally holds that cable in place must have come loose giving the cable enough slack to rub on the starter or what ever it was rubbing on. Also must have been doing it for a while because it is not super easy to rub off the insulation that quickly unless there is some semi-violent bouncing around of the cable itself. How many miles on the car when you got it?

This (to me at least) is wierd. I have worked on cars all my life and all I can think is that someone on the line was having a bad day that day. Something was not secured correctly from the start. Hopefully it is isolated. You should ask them to show you the worn cable so you can get a pic of it and post it here. I would love to see it as I'm sure everyone else would as well.

Glad your car is fixed though. I hope that this is the last problem you ever have. Good luck.

Bumleb 04-27-2009 10:35 PM

Gosh, I know.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TomServo (Post 438992)
I've lurked on this, did the car just DIE w/o warning?? If so I'd hate to have that happen at freeway speeds or in a turn. And I hope it was just "your" cable that was "mis-routed" and not a design flaw. That would most likely spell our first RECALL.

That was my husbands first thoughts. What if we were on a mountain road passing, with minimal shoulder space. Not even a thought I want to think about.

So thankful it happened going only a few miles per hour and thankfully the car didn't catch fire. Not even a thought I want in my head. "out, out, out"....

Bumleb 04-27-2009 10:38 PM

Less than 40
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PewterPhil (Post 439001)
Whatever normally holds that cable in place must have come loose giving the cable enough slack to rub on the starter or what ever it was rubbing on. Also must have been doing it for a while because it is not super easy to rub off the insulation that quickly unless there is some semi-violent bouncing around of the cable itself. How many miles on the car when you got it?

This (to me at least) is wierd. I have worked on cars all my life and all I can think is that someone on the line was having a bad day that day. Something was not secured correctly from the start. Hopefully it is isolated. You should ask them to show you the worn cable so you can get a pic of it and post it here. I would love to see it as I'm sure everyone else would as well.

Glad your car is fixed though. I hope that this is the last problem you ever have. Good luck.


Less than 40 miles. There were 3 miles when it got off the delivery truck. And other 20 put on my the dealership. Before I drove it home there were either 22 or 24 miles on it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.