Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   1LE Horsepower (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213518)

RECOUPED 04-01-2012 07:50 PM

1LE Horsepower
 
I Love what Chevy has done with the new Camaro, I've been waiting for the Z/28

I don't see the point to the 1LE, especially if there is no horsepower increase after going to electric power steering. How does that happen?

Milk 1027 04-01-2012 07:51 PM

no one said there wouldn't be a horespower increase. We still haven't seen the actual stats

ShnOmac 04-01-2012 07:53 PM

No need for a HP bump if you think you can match/beat the competition without it!

Apex Motorsports 04-01-2012 07:57 PM

The LS3 is SAE certified at 426 hp but there is a long tradition of not completely showing your hand in the muscle car wars. With the suspension and gearing improvements alone it will feel like a significantly faster car. The swap from 3.45 gears in the SS to 3.91 will give an equivalent torque gain somewhere in the neighborhood of 15% or 60 lb-ft. That is going to make a big difference.

Milk 1027 04-01-2012 07:59 PM

I'm thinking it'll be closer to the Corvette's 436 with the small upgrades.

2cnd chance 04-01-2012 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShnOmac (Post 4740212)
No need for a HP bump if you think you can match/beat the competition without it!

Personally I find there's almost always a need for an HP bump. :D

2cnd chance 04-01-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RECOUPED (Post 4740200)
I Love what Chevy has done with the new Camaro, I've been waiting for the Z/28

I don't see the point to the 1LE, especially if there is no horsepower increase after going to electric power steering. How does that happen?



RWHP should show an increase.

PYROLYSIS 04-01-2012 08:39 PM

The specs shown show no increase so far. I would also think the active exhaust should bump the HP a little bit. Maybe they don't want to change the numbers so they can under rate it a little bit.

Milk 1027 04-01-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS (Post 4740388)
The specs shown show no increase so far. I would also think the active exhaust should bump the HP a little bit. Maybe they don't want to change the numbers so they can under rate it a little bit.

I'm sure it still needs to be re-validated. We just have to wait and see if it does.

ShnOmac 04-01-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cnd chance (Post 4740363)
Personally I find there's almost always a need for an HP bump. :D

I agree..... :laugh:

2cnd chance 04-01-2012 09:48 PM

I knew you would. :drinking:

OldScoolCamaro 04-01-2012 10:00 PM

Well, they certified the 6 cylinder engine from one MY to another and showed a increase in HP, with no actual change to the motor. Advertising, a short cut.., perhaps. This potentialy could be done with the addition of the electric power steering and the dual mode exhaust. A claim in LS3 HP increase could be made, with no real substance to it. If one compares the Boss to the 1LE performance wise on the track, and it very well may hold it's ground as it was stated with the existing output of the LS3 with the suspension improvements, I am of the school of thought that overwhelming HP superiority in conjunction with suspension improvements make it more likely one will prevail by a margin over and above making it competitive. The 1LE is a nice step forward, but I trust the engine room is making plans for full speed ahead.

RLHMARINES 04-02-2012 02:33 PM

It could be that with the upgrades to the drive train on 1LE, the Camaro team could have just relaxed some of or even all of the torque management restriction's that comes on the LS3/L99 in the SS models. If I remember correctly, a LS3 crate engine is rated at 485 hp @flywheel thru GMPP. This maybe due to no accessories installed on the crate LS3 but I'm not sure. Besides, GM is not going to tip their hands fully at this time on future production models to ford or whoever the target market is. Like the Fbodfather said, they did not plan to release this info as early as it leaked to us the public, which is good for us but is bad for a competitive edge in this day and era of one-upmanship.

GEEo 04-02-2012 02:35 PM

I'm hopping to see upwards off 450hp.

The Boss has 440hp and a much much lighter car. for the 1LE to compete GM should bump up the power and drop some weight. just like what ford did to the Boss.

Power Seats, Nav, Premium Sound, etc... are just unnecessary if GM wants the 1LE to perform at the track. without all those things thats about a 15-20lbs of the car already.

I personally think that GM should make the 1LE as light as possible. the 1LE should be something like the GT3 RS a stripped down street legal race car.

boxmonkeyracing 04-02-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEEo (Post 4743788)
I'm hopping to see upwards off 450hp.

The Boss has 440hp and a much much lighter car. for the 1LE to compete GM should bump up the power and drop some weight. just like what ford did to the Boss.

Power Seats, Nav, Premium Sound, etc... are just unnecessary if GM wants the 1LE to perform at the track. without all those things thats about a 15-20lbs of the car already.

I personally think that GM should make the 1LE as light as possible. the 1LE should be something like the GT3 RS a stripped down street legal race car.


Even if their is a power increase this goes to show why IRS is better than a SRA. It's planted and eats up corners better then any SRA. If done right. and it sounds like that's what they did. I'm sure there are other areas in the suspension department that could be done, but from the factory this is great. and if what I've heard correct the 1LE has beat the boss already on one of their favorite tracks, VIR.

but if you haven't looked NAV and all that is optional with it. I'm with you 1LE should be limited in content and more like a race care. hell the LE stands for Limited Equipment, or at least use to.

2cnd chance 04-02-2012 04:26 PM

Why limit content? Have the base model with the options available. Remember GM is looking to make a buck or two.

Milk 1027 04-02-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEEo (Post 4743788)
I'm hopping to see upwards off 450hp.

The Boss has 440hp and a much much lighter car. for the 1LE to compete GM should bump up the power and drop some weight. just like what ford did to the Boss.

Power Seats, Nav, Premium Sound, etc... are just unnecessary if GM wants the 1LE to perform at the track. without all those things thats about a 15-20lbs of the car already.

I personally think that GM should make the 1LE as light as possible. the 1LE should be something like the GT3 RS a stripped down street legal race car.

Suspension is 10x better than the Boss's

cbass 04-02-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

RWHP should show an increase.
Exactly. You should get more rwhp. Whatever the electric power steering is good for, but that doesn't give you anymore at the engine, which is where Chevy rates it. I think you should also get a bump in fuel economy. I think electric power steering is typically good for 1 extra mpg.

JX2B.Graham 04-02-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbass (Post 4744794)
Exactly. You should get more rwhp. Whatever the electric power steering is good for, but that doesn't give you anymore at the engine, which is where Chevy rates it. I think you should also get a bump in fuel economy. I think electric power steering is typically good for 1 extra mpg.

Not with 3.91 gears, you will see a drop in MPG I would imagine.

GEEo 04-02-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk 1027 (Post 4744663)
Suspension is 10x better than the Boss's

I agree with that.

I'm just saying that the 1LE should be a stripped down street legal race car. something like the GT3 RS and the Scuderia F430.

I know the suspension is superior compared to its rivals but also GM should've focused some more on weight loss.

The SS its self is a great sports car (I can only imagine the purposely tuned track car) but its weight is whats holding it back.

cbass 04-02-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Not with 3.91 gears, you will see a drop in MPG I would imagine.
Not really. Yes it has 3.91 final drive, but it also has different ratios inside the transmission. There are only a few gears that are lower. The rest if you drive in fuel sipper mode should retain the same fuel economy. Here is the calculations I did in another thread. Assuming my math is right.

By the way, in the last thread it was mentioned that 278 mph was not possible. That is correct. That is the theoretical top speed in the gear at the camaro's redline. The camaro does not have the horspower and aerodynamics to achieve it. That and those two gears are overdrive gears which aren't typically used for acceleration, but fuel economy. So although it seems wrong it's actually not.

Quote:

have also taken a look at the new final ratio and gear ratios and I am not a speed calculating expert, but here is what I got using this calculator. Can someone tell me if this is accurate or if I should go back to math class?

http://www.apexgarage.com/tech/gear_ratios.shtml

I used 27.8544 for the tire diameter, 6,600 for the rpm.

So with the 3.45 Final and the transmission gearing listed for the SS I get max speeds of

1st: 53 mph
2nd: 77 mph
3rd: 111 mph
4th: 159 mph
5th: 189 mph
6th: 278 mph

With the new 3.91 Final and the transmission gearing listed for the 1LE I get max speeds of

1st: 53 mph
2nd: 79 mph
3rd: 108mph
4th: 140 mph
5th: 189 mph
6th: 280 mph

It looks like first gear comes out to exactly the same.

Second gear is actually slightly taller on the 1LE, but very minimal (around 100 rpm)

Third gear is a little shorter on the 1LE, but not much again (around 100 rpm)

Now 4th gear is where you notice the shorter gearing of the 1LE.

The overdrives are pretty much exactly the same as well so it looks like you can still sip fuel in granny mode. Very nice. It looks like this is still a great daily driver.

Of course, that's if my calculations are correct???

2cnd chance 04-02-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEEo (Post 4744925)
I agree with that.

I'm just saying that the 1LE should be a stripped down street legal race car. something like the GT3 RS and the Scuderia F430.

I know the suspension is superior compared to its rivals but also GM should've focused some more on weight loss.

The SS its self is a great sports car (I can only imagine the purposely tuned track car) but its weight is whats holding it back.



Wayyyyyyyyyy to expensive to do for GM.

I'm replacing the seats, exhaust, rotors, etc., when I get my Camaro.

2cnd chance 04-02-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbass (Post 4744954)
Not really. Yes it has 3.91 final drive, but it also has different ratios inside the transmission. There are only a few gears that are lower. The rest if you drive in fuel sipper mode should retain the same fuel economy. Here is the calculations I did in another thread. Assuming my math is right.

By the way, in the last thread it was mentioned that 278 mph was not possible. That is correct. That is the theoretical top speed in the gear at the camaro's redline. The camaro does not have the horspower and aerodynamics to achieve it. That and those two gears are overdrive gears which aren't typically used for acceleration, but fuel economy. So although it seems wrong it's actually not.

Good job you beat me to it. :thumbsup:

cbass 04-02-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

I agree with that.

I'm just saying that the 1LE should be a stripped down street legal race car. something like the GT3 RS and the Scuderia F430.

I know the suspension is superior compared to its rivals but also GM should've focused some more on weight loss.
If you start seriously using it for the track, then why not strip it down yourself? Who needs back seats for a track car? Who needs a passenger seat? It's not that hard to just start unbolting things. Easier to take apart than install.

Quote:

Good job you beat me to it.
Now I really hope my math is right because if it isn't, then I may have started some crazy rumor that IDK if I want to take responsibility for. Although in my opinion for a street/track car GM did the right thing changing the ratios to work out that way. It really gives you the best of both worlds.

wildpaws 04-02-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEEo (Post 4744925)
I agree with that.

I'm just saying that the 1LE should be a stripped down street legal race car. something like the GT3 RS and the Scuderia F430.

I know the suspension is superior compared to its rivals but also GM should've focused some more on weight loss.

The SS its self is a great sports car (I can only imagine the purposely tuned track car) but its weight is whats holding it back.

At this point there is not a whole lot that can be done for weight reduction without re-engineering and costly and/or exotic materials. It is what it is, the weight of the 5th gen Camaro cannot be radically altered at this point in time unless buyers are willing to pay a very substantial premium.
Clyde


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.