Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   DRM? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22047)

Burlap 05-08-2009 11:51 PM

DRM?

Does the head unit play DRM (Digital Rights Management) content? DRM mp3's are most commonly downloaded from subscription based services (napster, rhapsody, etc) that expire after a period of time.

It'd be nice to load up a whole thumbstick with music legally and at a reasonable price.

LosXC451 05-10-2009 12:13 AM

hhhmmm, thats a good question

codeman71 05-11-2009 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burlap (Post 471141)
Does the head unit play DRM (Digital Rights Management) content? DRM mp3's are most commonly downloaded from subscription based services (napster, rhapsody, etc) that expire after a period of time.

It'd be nice to load up a whole thumbstick with music legally and at a reasonable price.

Well, the answer is sort of a yes and no. MP3s themselves are not DRM'd, so you wouldn't have problems with pure MP3s. Subscription-based content is I believe WMA, which is DRM'd and will not play properly. If you have a device that plays the subscription music, these songs *may* play on the head unit. Each device is different and some allow the playing of DRM'd material over the USB port and some do not.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help. That's just the nature of DRM, always getting in the way...

Scott@Bjorn3D 05-11-2009 07:54 AM

Napster songs will not play thru USB. Tried on my Creative Zen X-FI, brings up the name but skips the tracks. At least so far I have not been able to get them to play.

My solution is put MP3 player in back cup holder and use AUX Line in. Works ok for me.

Regular CD's songs copied to my Zen work fine.

DavidF 05-11-2009 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D (Post 476095)
Napster songs will not play thru USB. Tried on my Creative Zen X-FI, brings up the name but skips the tracks. At least so far I have not been able to get them to play.

My solution is put MP3 player in back cup holder and use AUX Line in. Works ok for me.

Thanks for that, I was wondering about my Zen/Rhapsody.

Burlap 05-11-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

That was going to be my solution as well, it's just not as, well, clean as just a USB stick. It is what it is, tho. Thanks man.

Crowley 05-11-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

I burn my napster songs to CD and then rip them back to MP3 .. they will then work :)

Crowley