Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   electric power steering failure at 560 miles!! (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225187)

Stephen12ZL1 05-20-2012 11:10 AM

electric power steering failure at 560 miles!!
 
Of course I will check the basics of the wires and associated fuses first; however, a trip to the dealer may be necessary. I stopped to get gas and when I restarted the car, the steering felt totally unassisted and then the error message of "service power steering". I pressed the ONStar button and they had no info other than to be careful and they saw the same error message on their diagnostics. Darn it :mad0259:

L99CAMA2011 05-20-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 (Post 4992293)
Of course I will check the basics of the wires and associated fuses first; however, a trip to the dealer may be necessary. I stopped to get gas and when I restarted the car, the steering felt totally unassisted and then the error message of "service power steering". I pressed the ONStar button and they had no info other than to be careful and they saw the same error message on their diagnostics. Darn it :mad0259:

I knew the first ZL-1s were going to have some issue.

ZL1Dave 05-20-2012 11:50 AM

Sucks much!! I'm starting to get paranoid about having a steering problem on my car eventually. Hopefully they will zero in on the issue as your not the first to post about having problems with the electric steering. I would expect a TSB about the steering in these cars to show up soon

2012ZL1 05-20-2012 11:57 AM

Rumor was that that was the qc hold up initially.

SIRLOIN 05-20-2012 12:15 PM

Man i could only hope something like this wouldn't happen taking an off ramp at a quick pase or something. Could be very dangerous... What about at a roadcourse???

Modern07 05-20-2012 12:20 PM

This is the 2nd car on here with the same problem

MikeOD 05-20-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIRLOIN (Post 4992537)
Man i could only hope something like this wouldn't happen taking an off ramp at a quick pase or something. Could be very dangerous... What about at a roadcourse???

If the car is rolling pretty fast, you'd probably barely notice the loss of power assist...it's no big deal having no power steering above 15 mph.

KKreme15 05-20-2012 04:55 PM

inb4Brandonfromcustomerservice

Uneducated Guess 05-20-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KKreme15 (Post 4993427)
inb4Brandonfromcustomerservice

:bellyroll:

mxkx250 05-20-2012 06:39 PM

I got the same message on my Cobalt SS. Took it to the dealer and they found that a mouse had chewed through the wires. Not covered by warranty. Now I have moth balls under all my cars in the garage.

Stephen12ZL1 05-20-2012 06:43 PM

Ok...I removed the underbelly pan (16 bolts and 2 plastic buttons!) and checked the connections to the power steering going to the rack and tapped on the rack with a plastic hammer. Now, it works but I have no idea if this problem will recur. Nothing seemed loose and no weatherpack connectors appeared to have issues. I will have the dealer check it if I loose power steering again.

L99CAMA2011 05-20-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeOD (Post 4993383)
If the car is rolling pretty fast, you'd probably barely notice the loss of power assist...it's no big deal having no power steering above 15 mph.

:confused0068:

Stephen12ZL1 05-20-2012 07:18 PM

disconnect power to the power steering and try it...anything under 10mph was almost impossible to turn. At 70ish mph, it wasn't horrible but still quite an effort. My previous car with power steering failure was much easier to turn (1968 Chevelle).

MikeOD 05-20-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 (Post 4993886)
disconnect power to the power steering and try it...anything under 10mph was almost impossible to turn. At 70ish mph, it wasn't horrible but still quite an effort. My previous car with power steering failure was much easier to turn (1968 Chevelle).

Just shut the engine off in any car with a power steering pump while you're driving, it's easier than disconnecting stuff...yeah it's different, but it's not like you're suddenly going to drive the vehicle into a wall because of it. Electric power steering is just something that's still kinda new so people are afraid of it...just like electronic throttle's...how many people still think Toyota's actually had a problem? Do you think any of them know the "fix" that was done under warranty involved (for most dealer mechanics who found a faster way to do it than using the Toyota tool) a hack saw blade and some tape? Every model of car will have some examples of problems with every piece of that car...until you actually see a TSB for it, it's just 1 or 2 cars having problems, and I'm sure GM will fix them.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.