Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Any Inside Info? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239383)

dkg11 07-24-2012 09:37 AM

Any Inside Info?
 
So this is my first time roaming around on this part of the forums and wanted to know if anyone had some inside info or hard info from GM about a Z28

Bhobbs 07-24-2012 09:53 AM

I doubt it. From what I've read on here, GM is cracking down on leaks.

Mikes SS 07-24-2012 09:53 AM

Just wating around like the rest of us buddy, sure wish we could get a glimpse of hope after 3 years of production

dkg11 07-24-2012 10:18 AM

As long as they have some type of Z in like 5 years im happy cuz thats probably when ill get a new camaro

PYROLYSIS 07-24-2012 01:28 PM

They could be cracking down on leaks cause they might want to do something special with the Z28. Maybe they will release it without warning and suprise everybody like the way they use to do it. Word would spread quick enough after its release.

Bhobbs 07-24-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS (Post 5337488)
They could be cracking down on leaks cause they might want to do something special with the Z28. Maybe they will release it without warning and suprise everybody like the way they use to do it. Word would spread quick enough after its release.

I'm pretty sure it's with all upcoming releases, not just a possible Z/28.

DGthe3 07-31-2012 12:15 AM

As I like to say ...

anyone who knows, doesn't talk
anyone who talks, doesn't know.

Cam#7 07-31-2012 09:03 AM

I'm back in the camp that believes we'll see the Z/28 in the Gen5. It's already been said the C7 Corvette will arrive first in base form, then Gran Sport, Z06, etc.....

So I think the Gen5 Camaro is leading up to the end of it's life cycle with a Z/28. We just need to wait for this darn Corvette to be announced with the next generation of engines. We got 2 model years left, so we should be seeing the Z/28 next Summer.

toehead93 07-31-2012 01:02 PM

Waiting on the engine and transmission informaiton also. It is the last big piece of the puzzle, we know about the weight based on the ATS. I read a rumor that the ATS may get an 8-speed auto in the future, maybe in time for the 6th gen?

Bhobbs 08-02-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toehead93 (Post 5372477)
Waiting on the engine and transmission informaiton also. It is the last big piece of the puzzle, we know about the weight based on the ATS. I read a rumor that the ATS may get an 8-speed auto in the future, maybe in time for the 6th gen?

Auto trannies don't belong in the Z/28.

JoansDriver 08-02-2012 09:25 PM

I wonder if GM would offer an upgrade option for anyone wanting the z28 package, like they're doing with the 1LE.

_Nick_ 08-02-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoansDriver (Post 5385223)
I wonder if GM would offer an upgrade option for anyone wanting the z28 package, like they're doing with the 1LE.

That'd be like offering an SS upgrade for the LTs and LSs.

JoansDriver 08-03-2012 12:28 AM

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...o-reality.html

Quote:

Designed with Sibal’s talents and a collection of facts and rumors, the Z28 is shaping up to be a tremendous competitor, taking the Camaro to new heights thanks to a supercharged 6.2-liter LSA V8 engine. While it’s sill possible that the Z28 could get the Corvette ZR1′s 638-hp LS9, the LSA is a more likely option, considering recent spy photos showed a 6-speed automatic (currently offered on the LSA-equipped CTS-V). Plus, Chevy isn’t likely to share the iconic Corvette’s powerplant with any other model – Z28 badge or not.
Possibly more exciting is news that the Z28 could boast even more than the 556-hp found in the CTS-V. This is a near-certainty as Chevy is eager to top Ford in the horsepower wars and upping the 2011 GT500′s 550-hp rating by just six ponies isn’t likely to cut it. And if Chevy can be trusted to toss around some impressive numbers, look for a 3.9 second 0-60 mph time.
Design wise, the Z28 will get a more aggressive front end and a larger bulge in the hood to make room for the massive engine.
Recent spy photos have also revealed that the Z28 is likely to get 20-inch wheels and a brake setup similar to that found on the CTS-V, which boasts 6-piston front and 4-piston rear calipers.
Chevy continues to be silent on Camaro Z28 news, but we’d expect such an iconic American car to debut at (where else?) the Detroit Auto Show in January.

Doc 08-03-2012 12:44 AM

I hope it DOESN'T have a supercharged engine; leave that to the ZL1. Get the weight down under 3,700 lbs and go with a high performance n/a engine.

JoansDriver 08-03-2012 03:28 AM

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/che...z28-spy-photos

Quote:

When we first saw these photos, we were pretty sure this Camaro-shaped vehicle was a Chevrolet, but someone managed to deftly tape over the trunklid badge. How could we be sure? Then we noticed the bow tie on the door, and came to the airtight conclusion that this car is indeed a Chevy. But what’s under the hood?
Luckily, in another sticker-related misstep, someone opened the door and revealed one of the most poorly placed communiqués we’ve ever seen: a tag on the dash that confirms that this is a Camaro Z28—a vehicle often rumored but not officially announced. Even better, the sticker reveals that this mule is powered by a supercharged 6.2-liter V-8 backed up by a six-speed automatic transmission. Chances are very good that this is the Cadillac CTS-V’s LSA powerplant, which is rated there for 556 hp and 551 lb-ft of torque, as opposed to the higher-powered LS9 V-8 from the Corvette ZR1. Chances are equally good that the Camaro Z28 also will be offered with the CTS-V’s six-speed manual. So, in a sense, you can think of the Z28 as the bow-tie version of the CTS-V coupe, and the ultimate in attainable Chevy awesome.

Turbosaurus 08-03-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 5386053)
I hope it DOESN'T have a supercharged engine; leave that to the ZL1. Get the weight down under 3,700 lbs and go with a high performance n/a engine.

:word:

toehead93 08-03-2012 07:33 AM

My first thought was the articles are old, the one I opened is as old as my 2010 camaro.

toehead93 08-03-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhobbs (Post 5382132)
Auto trannies don't belong in the Z/28.

Maybe, but it is 2012 not 1969. Unfortunately GM doesn't have a true paddle shift manual trans but they've done a decent job with what they have. At 35 years old I have had 3 knee surgeries, 3 bouts with a partially torn rotator in my shoulder, and i drive in sick south florida traffic. If i had to drive an M6 it would end up in a canal. Really though, the A6 zl1 is holding its own.

LOWDOWN 08-03-2012 12:40 PM

If a 500 hp n/a Camaro with ultimate cornering ability can ONLY be built if offered with an OPTIONAL Automatic, to fully satisfy GM's Business Case, so be it...

Bhobbs 08-03-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOWDOWN (Post 5387680)
If a 500 hp n/a Camaro with ultimate cornering ability can ONLY be built if offered with an OPTIONAL Automatic, to fully satisfy GM's Business Case, so be it...

True. I just don't like auto trannies.

wildpaws 08-03-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toehead93 (Post 5386456)
My first thought was the articles are old, the one I opened is as old as my 2010 camaro.

Those articles are very old news, they were talking about what was to be a Z/28 and later became the new ZL1. Most of the regulars on this forum saw them a real long time ago, you can safely ignore them as the actually refer to the ZL1 and not any future Z/28.
Clyde

toehead93 08-04-2012 10:09 AM

Exactly. I fimd it funny ey still pop up from time to time as "news". What i really find imteresting is the new ATS Cadillac will has an AWD option. Any chnace this happens to the Camaro?

wildpaws 08-04-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toehead93 (Post 5390969)
Exactly. I fimd it funny ey still pop up from time to time as "news". What i really find imteresting is the new ATS Cadillac will has an AWD option. Any chnace this happens to the Camaro?

I think it was discussed just a little bit in one of the threads (now don't ask me which one!) not too long ago. I think the consensus was if they offer it on the 6th gen Camaro, fine, if they don't, no big deal. I don't think it would be a deal breaker either way for most on these forums.
Clyde

JoansDriver 08-04-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildpaws (Post 5388842)
Those articles are very old news, they were talking about what was to be a Z/28 and later became the new ZL1. Most of the regulars on this forum saw them a real long time ago, you can safely ignore them as the actually refer to the ZL1 and not any future Z/28.
Clyde

Ya, I was half asleep 3/4 of the way through a 12 hour shift when I posted those. My bad! :facepalm:

OldScoolCamaro 08-05-2012 12:15 AM

It's all good, I post and cringe often afterwards....:laugh:, but then for me it's drain bamage or early onset of oldage...I'm not quite sure of which one yet....:D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.