Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Not impressed with the Boston Acoustics Sound (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243777)

Mil 08-13-2012 05:47 PM

Not impressed with the Boston Acoustics Sound

hey ZL1 folks,

I'm disappointed with the sound quality of the stereo .. although I did purchase this car because of its performance attributes; but i would have expected the stereo to have sounded better for a car in the 60k's . Just wondering what you guys think of the boston acoustic sound system?

jimmy5 08-13-2012 05:51 PM

I like the package, I didn't opt to get the system because it is WAY over priced and you could build a much better system for the same money.
The system definately lacks bass, but I think a couple of 10" subs in the back will fix that and not rattle it so much it sounds like a tin can.

Nailn it 08-13-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mil (Post 5436388)
hey ZL1 folks,

I'm disappointed with the sound quality of the stereo .. although I did purchase this car because of its performance attributes; but i would have expected the stereo to have sounded better for a car in the 60k's . Just wondering what you guys think of the boston acoustic sound system?

Yeah, system stinks. Put a new pioneer touch screen with navigation system, all new speakers, couple amps and a JL 12 subwoofer in a box that bolts in the trunk in the rear fender. No rattles, sounds sweet! The mounting plate looks better than stock and the controls are easier to work than those dials.

snapp32e 08-13-2012 06:07 PM

I agree. I installed a JL Audio 12" HO ported sub enclosure with their XD 700/5 amp. Made a huge difference in sound quality, everything still functions from the factory head unit and now it sounds amazing.

The IOM Ninja 08-13-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy5 (Post 5436410)
I like the package, I didn't opt to get the system because it is WAY over priced and you could build a much better system for the same money.
The system definately lacks bass, but I think a couple of 10" subs in the back will fix that and not rattle it so much it sounds like a tin can.

The ZL1 comes with the Boston Acoustics Sound System :sm0:

It's the subwoofer that is extra lol, you don't get to choose any options with the ZL1 it's fully loaded + a few things minor things like a sunroof or extra plastic fibers in the interior (alcantara as it is also known….) lol

It's also well known that the Boston Acoustics sound system falls quite short quality wise, but that can be attributed to the head unit...

jimmy5 08-13-2012 06:52 PM

I think you misinterpreted my post. By system I meant the subwoofer and amp. I thought the rest of the post illustrated that. To each their own. :chevy:

SS ORANGE CRUSH SS 08-13-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

hey ZL1 folks,

Great in my 2SS/RS with performance!!!! and sound!!!!

Pappa Joe 08-13-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

hey ZL1 folks,

Compared to my Charger system its like night and day and yes, needs bass bad! :(

Zee-Ell-One 08-14-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pappa Joe (Post 5438254)
Compared to my Charger system its like night and day and yes, needs bass bad! :(

I won't be listening to the radio much. The bass I will be listening to will come from the pipes.:popcorn:

J666 08-14-2012 01:39 AM

When I got my car in 2009, the system sounded incredible. After a couple of months, GM issued a recall and changed the system. My 300c's Boston sound system blows this one away. It's quite embarrassing hearing the tin-can rattle in the rear.

DRKS1D3 08-14-2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zee-Ell-One (Post 5438351)
I won't be listening to the radio much. The bass I will be listening to will come from the pipes.:popcorn:

+1 If I wanted a car for its thumping stereo, I would've bought a '64 Impala and replaced the headrests, dash and rear seat with 18" subwoofers and mounted a 20,000 watt amp in the trunk "1992 Style". I'm happy with the stock Boston set-up. :thumbsup:

FINALLYSATISFIED 08-14-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

hey ZL1 folks,

You never know, they may change sound systems similiar to what Chrysler has done. Even the new Challengers come equip with 2 10's(SRT8 model).

PNYSLAR 08-14-2012 06:53 AM

I'm sooo happy to hear others have the same opinon about the stereo in the Z's. I have a 2010 SS/RS and the "Same" system has much better sound quality and Bass boost than the Z. I too will begin looking for a after market system to replace the existing stock version:thumbdown:

Z4me 08-14-2012 07:22 AM

Yeah the stereo system in the car needs some help esp in the bass. I'll get around to getting this fixed in the coming months. Gotta be able to listen to my tunes the way they should sound.

tonyfred 08-14-2012 07:46 AM

The new MyLink system has a slightly better sound than the radios from earlier years. (I had a 2010). I think it is because of the graphic equalizer and the ability to turn the bass up. But it is still not impressive.
I had two 12 inch Kicker subs and a Rockford amp in my 2010 but left them in it when I traded it in. That was overkill. I think one 10 inch sub would be a better choice.

hognutz 08-14-2012 12:37 PM

my next little project will be to try a couple things.

1. buy the subthump harness and see if replacing the factory amp cleans up the sound

2. if not try aftermaket speakers and the facotry amp.

2. if not replace all.

there are amps the fit right in where the facory amp goes. I have all the stuff from my 300c that I just pulled out laying around.

I am thinking longterm alpine or JL 5 channel. 1 12 possibly new speakers. all of this can be done for 1k easy without adding to much wieght or taking up too much space.

DangerZL1 08-14-2012 02:30 PM

I'm looking at adding the Subthump FARK harness and a JL Audio XD700 5 channel amp in the factory location to see how much it improves. Apparently, the amp is the weakest link in the system and a must change before changing speakers. If I think it needs further improvement I'll add a single 10 inch sub in a driver's side rear enclosure.

Russell James 08-14-2012 06:29 PM

If you have a '12 BA, try setting your EQ at 2 0 2. Keeping the equalizer low, lets you crank the volume with no distortion. My '12 sounds great compared to my '10. I think they tweaked an improvement in the '12's balance. The center speaker is no longer overpowering. I've been in peoples cars that sounded horrible, and then checked the settings - they had the equalizer cranked way up.

Mil 08-14-2012 08:26 PM

I just want to say the problem with the stereo set up in the Z's are the following:

The tweeters aren't tweetN, and the bass just aint thumping...

I feel like i'm listening to music in a can with the bass rattling.

The volkswagens with the monsoon hd unit and 8spkrs in a GLX passat sounded alot better.

snapp32e 08-14-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerZL1 (Post 5440874)
I'm looking at adding the Subthump FARK harness and a JL Audio XD700 5 channel amp in the factory location to see how much it improves. Apparently, the amp is the weakest link in the system and a must change before changing speakers. If I think it needs further improvement I'll add a single 10 inch sub in a driver's side rear enclosure.

I added that amp with a sub, cut out the center channel and left the rest of the speakers factory. It improved the system 10 fold. Sounds great now and has plenty of thump. JL's XD and HD 5ch amps fit in perfectly where the factory amp is.

RoketRdr 08-14-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja (Post 5436645)
It's also well known that the Boston Acoustics sound system falls quite short quality wise, but that can be attributed to the head unit...

Its the amplifier that's the issue. The head unit puts out an extremely clean signal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snapp32e (Post 5443360)
I added that amp with a sub, cut out the center channel and left the rest of the speakers factory. It improved the system 10 fold. Sounds great now and has plenty of thump. JL's XD and HD 5ch amps fit in perfectly where the factory amp is.

What he said. Swap out the stock amp and this system really lights up and the sound quality radically improves.

Optimus 08-14-2012 10:29 PM

I added a 10" Boston Acoustics Sub and a Boston Acoustics Amp and it made all the difference in the world. The rest of the system is stock and it now very good. The whole system just needed some bass. Also, the better the source, the better the sound. CDs and good recordings on the ipod really help.

Supermaro585HP 08-14-2012 10:36 PM

I have a MTX sub box that I bought through Chevy for $1000.00. It has 2 10" subs and a built in amp. It is perfect if you want to boost your stock stereo to get more bass without vibrating your car apart. I have a buddy that just opened up a shop and he talked me into putting a complete new set up in my Camaro for nothing if he could use it as advertising. If your interested in the MTX sub box make me a offer. PM me..

Nightspore68 08-14-2012 10:36 PM

I'm unimpressed with it too. I wish they would've had at least the option for a better stereo.

Nightspore68 08-14-2012 10:38 PM

By the way, it sounds the same as the one in my former SS. Which is to say, lackluster.