Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Everyone keeps wishing for a new Z28? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243995)

Kdogg 08-14-2012 07:17 PM

Everyone keeps wishing for a new Z28?

I noticed a lot of people are wishing for the return of the Z28. The ZL1 has 500+ HP and theirs the Panther option that's 600+ HP,what would the Z28 have? How different will it look? How much? Just wondering what you all would think a modern Z28 would be like?

slick rick 08-14-2012 07:19 PM

Start reading this section http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136

SEVEN-OH JOE 08-14-2012 07:23 PM

And this thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149090

skipinminn 08-14-2012 07:46 PM

z28 should be the V6 with twinturbo's,425hp and 28mpg :) I'd buy one for sure :)

All the Juice and no seed's! Yehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

JoansDriver 08-14-2012 07:48 PM

A v6 z28? Oh god no.

Kdogg 08-14-2012 08:01 PM

Guess i'am late to the party? My thoughts are that the ZL1 should have carried the Z28 badge. More people know the Z28 name than the ZL1. It should have its own exterior and interior colors and special graffics and wheels.

slick rick 08-14-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kdogg (Post 5442888)
My thoughts are that the ZL1 should have carried the Z28 badge. More people know the Z28 name than the ZL1.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128453
Quote:

[Comment From Ironhead Ironhead: ]
just logged on, am I reading this correctly? ZL1 is what all who have been waiting for the arrival of the Z28 is called ZL1? or will there be another model called Z28

John Fitz - Camaro Marketing Mgr:
Ironhead... We continue to work on evolving Camaro. Regarding Z28, all I can say is stay tuned...

[Comment From Tyler Tyler: ]
Was Z28 ever considered as the name or was it ZL1 from the get go?

John Fitz - Camaro Marketing Mgr:
Tyler... We considered all kinds of names for this beast -- but ZL1 rose to the top as the best fit

cmb74656 08-14-2012 08:10 PM

I'm still waiting for the return of the Berlinetta. :rolleyes:

Kdogg 08-14-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmb74656 (Post 5442961)
I'm still waiting for the return of the Berlinetta. :rolleyes:

Wow, haven't heard that name in a while! Wasn't that the luxury model?

JimE 08-14-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kdogg (Post 5443303)
Wow, haven't heard that name in a while! Wasn't that the luxury model?

LOL...yeah, if you can call it that. The ones that I've seen were V6 Camaro models with "luxury" interior items (ie: special seats, stereo, etc.).

liquidsmoke 08-14-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoansDriver (Post 5442778)
A v6 z28? Oh god no.

At this point in time that's the only thing that makes since.

The SS is 400+
ZL1 is 500+
Tuner cars are 6,7,8
Then there is the copo also

Really can't see them making another v8 model. What would be special about it that would make anyone choose it over the existing options? It can't be just looks as those won't stray too far from what exist now and they definately won't make it look better than the ZL1.

But twin turbos on a 6 pushing 400+ and decent gas milage will peak the interest of a lot of people. Obviously not the people who focus on cylinder count.

slick rick 08-14-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liquidsmoke (Post 5443734)
Really can't see them making another v8 model.

LS7 Z28 :popcorn:

11 Camaro IBM 08-14-2012 10:22 PM

ls9 z28 with pdk tranny haha

1BADLS3 08-14-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liquidsmoke (Post 5443734)
At this point in time that's the only thing that makes since.

The SS is 400+
ZL1 is 500+
Tuner cars are 6,7,8
Then there is the copo also

Really can't see them making another v8 model. What would be special about it that would make anyone choose it over the existing options? It can't be just looks as those won't stray too far from what exist now and they definately won't make it look better than the ZL1.

But twin turbos on a 6 pushing 400+ and decent gas milage will peak the interest of a lot of people. Obviously not the people who focus on cylinder count.

It only makes sense from the perspective that turbo and supercharged V6's are likely going to make it into more pedestrian GM models, and there is great cost savings by sharing common motors and architecture. I could see GM phasing out V8's in future generations especially as the truck market starts adopting smaller forced-induction motors (read: Success of the turbo V6 Ford F150). But I think that transition is at least into the 6th generation or maybe even 7th generation Camaro--if GM continues to produce the car. That's always an 'IF'.

Besides cylinder count and sound, pushrod V8's are beautifully simple and easy to maintain, which makes them a great option in these cars. You can get power and speed...I can't imagine they cost MORE to manufacture than a forced induction 6, so it helps keep the cost of the vehicle relatively low.

But before we see ANY of this happen, first we need to watch the evolution of the SIDI 3.6 motor and also see what's in store for the new generation of LS motors.

Doc 08-14-2012 11:21 PM

They're not going to put a V6 of any kind in a car with the name Z/28 on it; these guys are car enthusiasts, not corporate suits from accounting. They know what the Z/28 was and they know what it needs to be.

The Z/28 was never about horsepower; it wasn't a drag racer. It was a Can-Am challenger to take on the Boss 302 on the great road courses of the day. The 1LE option on an SS gives you a clue of the direction they're going to go in with the next Z/28. They're learning on the models they've already released. The ZL1 is a suspension wonder-car; it shows what can be done with handling using that magnetic suspension technology, but it's too heavy to be a Z/28 which is probably why they didn't give it that name. The 1LE shows how they're looking at the drivetrain; not just the suspension. They're learning; studying; developing; experimenting. You can see it with these special releases. Look at what the COPO Camaro can do right out of the box.

The car they actually feel is worth being called a Z/28 is going to be a game changer. Can't wait to see what they come up with.

Obzen 08-14-2012 11:25 PM

So IF a Z28 comes out. Will everyone sweep the 4th Gen Z28 under the rug? I hear all this talk about what a Z28 was always meant to be and how legendary the name tag is. but wasn't the 4th Gen just the "run of the mill" V8 Camaro? For that matter wasn't it the same way for the 3rd gen?

J-ROD-210 08-14-2012 11:31 PM

I just don't know why people are so hung up with the Z28 name. GM not making Z's period. There was a time when they were Z-ing everything. Cavalier Z,Beretta Z ,Lumina Z and Silverado Z. Big freaking deal! I forgot all the numbers.Z-24,Z-26,Z-34 and Z-71 and yes Z-28....so what?

1BADLS3 08-14-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 5444111)
They're not going to put a V6 of any kind in a car with the name Z/28 on it; these guys are car enthusiasts, not corporate suits from accounting. They know what the Z/28 was and they know what it needs to be.

GM is capable of a lot of things. The Impala SS was once a front-wheel drive, supercharged V6, not too long ago.

I don't mean for that to discredit your point. Companies sometimes do what's right for the consumer, sometimes they do what's right for their books, sometimes they do what's right for their profits. It's hard to tell the direction the Camaro is going to take...hopefully it continues in a good one along the same lines it's been going.

But the 'need' for a mid-level Camaro is very slim. There's 323hp, 400-426hp, and then 500+ with the ZL1 and 'insane' with the COPO cars. They've basically covered the market from entry level at $23k all the way to $40k for optioned SS, and beyond to $55k+ with the ZL1. I don't know where a Z28 would fit in the lineup or how much market share they could reasonably expect to gain with Z28 sales, especially just having come out with the 1LE.

And it may be that 'Z28' never returns. 'Z24' disappeared with the Cavalier and it was always regarded as the junior Z, lots of performance in a small car. But, GM dropped that moniker entirely and went with the SS designation for the Cobalt, and then the RS designation for the Cruze.

Point is...I see really slim chances of there being a 5th gen Z28.

slick rick 08-14-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 (Post 5444189)

With the weight of the Zeta platform, I think most Z28 hopefuls are waiting for it to come out on the Alpha (6th gen) :popcorn:

Doc 08-14-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-ROD-210 (Post 5444166)
I just don't know why people are so hung up with the Z28 name. GM not making Z's period. There was a time when they were Z-ing everything. Cavalier Z,Beretta Z ,Lumina Z and Silverado Z. Big freaking deal! I forgot all the numbers.Z-24,Z-26,Z-34 and Z-71 and yes Z-28....so what?

It was attached to the legendary racing team of Roger Penske and Mark Donohue. It was a high-profile winner. Chevy specifically built it to compete in the Can-Am; it wasn't a regular street car that somebody took and started racing with it. They built the street legal versions so they could claim it was a production model and thus be qualified to run in the Can-Am.

It was a very special model for a very special purpose; one that brought Chevy racing prestige and glory; it put the bow tie in the winner's circle in a very tough and competitive series. When you saw a Camaro on the street with Z/28 on the side it had instant respect... so much so in fact that adding a "Z" to a name became fashionable to try and grab some of that glory and respect.

If you aren't old enough to remember or know, then you probably wouldn't understand. Just take it from those of us who are old enough; it's a big deal.

Doc 08-15-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 (Post 5444189)
GM is capable of a lot of things. The Impala SS was once a front-wheel drive, supercharged V6, not too long ago.

I don't mean for that to discredit your point. Companies sometimes do what's right for the consumer, sometimes they do what's right for their books, sometimes they do what's right for their profits. It's hard to tell the direction the Camaro is going to take...hopefully it continues in a good one along the same lines it's been going.

But the 'need' for a mid-level Camaro is very slim. There's 323hp, 400-426hp, and then 500+ with the ZL1 and 'insane' with the COPO cars. They've basically covered the market from entry level at $23k all the way to $40k for optioned SS, and beyond to $55k+ with the ZL1. I don't know where a Z28 would fit in the lineup or how much market share they could reasonably expect to gain with Z28 sales, especially just having come out with the 1LE.

And it may be that 'Z28' never returns. 'Z24' disappeared with the Cavalier and it was always regarded as the junior Z, lots of performance in a small car. But, GM dropped that moniker entirely and went with the SS designation for the Cobalt, and then the RS designation for the Cruze.

I agree there probably isn't much chance of a 5th gen Z and I'm glad to be honest; the 5th gen is just too heavy a car. I can however easily see the Z/28 being the "show car" to grab the spotlight as the star of the new 6th gen Camaro.

There isn't going to be a Transformer's movie to showcase and promote the 6th gen the way it did the 5th gen so they need more than just "the next generation Camaro" for marketing. If I was in charge I'd be in talks with Ford and Dodge to resurrect the old Can-Am series and use that as a collective showcase for the "new" muscle cars of American manufacturers. Nascar has completely lost touch with it's grass roots and I think it would be great to have a new racing series with street cars like the ones you can buy and drive.

If it was a joint marketing/sponsoring effort between the big 3 muscle car companies I think it would be very popular and boost the sales of those cars a lot.

I'm just dreaming about a new Can-Am series lol but I wouldn't at all be surprised if the 6th gen Camaro is debuted with a new Z/28.

J-ROD-210 08-15-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 5444233)
It was attached to the legendary racing team of Roger Penske and Mark Donohue. It was a high-profile winner. Chevy specifically built it to compete in the Can-Am; it wasn't a regular street car that somebody took and started racing with it. They built the street legal versions so they could claim it was a production model and thus be qualified to run in the Can-Am.

It was a very special model for a very special purpose; one that brought Chevy racing prestige and glory; it put the bow tie in the winner's circle in a very tough and competitive series. When you saw a Camaro on the street with Z/28 on the side it had instant respect... so much so in fact that adding a "Z" to a name became fashionable to try and grab some of that glory and respect.

If you aren't old enough to remember or know, then you probably wouldn't understand. Just take it from those of us who are old enough; it's a big deal.

Yup.Your right ,never heard of the Can-Am. I meant for the 5th gen though,I don't see it happening like everyone else says,no room with SS,ZL1 and 1LE,but what if ,like I posted before 427N/A,LS7.Expensive but I think people would buy.Anyway didn't mean any disrespect to everyone who is planning to race in the Can-Am when they do make a Z/28:bellyroll:

STuRTzz 08-15-2012 12:47 AM

what will be more expensive: z28 or 1le?

Doc 08-15-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STuRTzz (Post 5444375)
what will be more expensive: z28 or 1le?

Z/28. The 1LE package is something you can order with an SS; the Z/28 is going to be a separate, and special model. Price-wise I'm guessing somewhere between a 1LE and a ZL1.

A 6th gen Z/28 will probably out-perform the 5th gen ZL1 on the track which would be a great marketing point for the 6th gen series. They'll have to up the ante on the ZL1 though if they want to keep it at the top which they probably will just for horsepower bragging rights.

The Z/28 should (hopefully) be n/a so it won't have as much power as the ZL1 but be lighter and have fantastic handling and brakes for the track. Gonna be interesting to see what they do for the bodywork too as the Z/28 should have functional brake cooling. It would be great if you could get it with 5-point safety belts and safety bar as an option from the factory. Oh and include removable factory tow hooks.

I can't wait to see what they come up with. :D

sprtplt 08-15-2012 01:12 PM

Actually, the 1LE probably should have been called Z-28. Z-28 was a handling package as much as anything. That there is still no Z-28 moniker defies all logic, so, makes perfect sense for GM today.