Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Camaro/Winter (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2464)

Matt0319 01-05-2008 04:16 AM

Camaro/Winter
 
Hey everyone, i'm new here, and i think this site is pretty cool. I just have a question for anyone who cares to answer. Basically I want a new camaro as bad as most others here on the site... But I live in Michigan where we get some harsh winters/snowfall and such. Obviously you dont want to treck through snow in a Camaro, which leads me to my question? Is it worth the purchase to store this car during winters, and drive a "beater" car during the winter? I currently have a 97 grand prix with about 105,000 miles which i suppose if it makes it till 09 (which it certainly should, barring a car wreck...knock on wood..) I could use that as a winter car... or just say maybe not and get an all purpose/trusty winter car etc... Anyone else have a situation like this?? thanks for the input in advance!

jmsjags 01-05-2008 04:22 AM

I live in Virginia and drive my Camaro year-round without any problems, but I know you guys up north get a lot worse weather than I do down here. If I were you I would do like you said and keep the Grand Prix around as a beater as long as the insurance wasn't too bad on it.

JaysonAych 01-05-2008 05:27 AM

I'm kinda facing the same dilemma. My current car has been absolutely bulletproof since I bought it, so I really don't want to get rid of it, but it is racking up the miles so who knows how it will be later. It's front wheel drive so it'll probably tackle snowy and icy roads better, another reason to keep it around. Trading it in would make the Camaro purchase no problem, but keeping it is going to require a lot of financial finagling.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with traction control systems, but once needed to rent a car when my previous car needed maintenance, and I got a free upgrade from a Cavalier to a Town Car. The TCS and ABS together on that vehicle made it handle and brake very well in the ice, despite the rear wheel drive. So if I do have to go with just one car when the Camaro comes out, I'll definitely be looking into traction control and ABS to be sure it can handle wintry conditions.

KILLER74Z28 01-05-2008 09:36 AM

Store it and drive your winter beater… You should already know that being a Michigander… There is nothing funnier than watching a retard try to drive his/her Vette/Fbody through the snow… :bellyroll:

Moose 01-05-2008 10:34 AM

First. BY ALL MEANS...you should get a new Camaro! A life w/o a Camaro in it is definately lacking IMO. :thumbsup:

If you can afford a 2nd car as a daily driver, do it. ;)

I park the SS usually in late Oct., and don't drive it regularly until April. (I will, on occassion, take it out to "warm him up" between Oct. & April weather/roads permitting.)

Its always a sad time putting him away, but that first ride in the Spring is.....:happyanim:

For the Winter, I detail the SS one more time, fill the tank, change the oil/filter, and use a battery tender when necessary. :thumbsup:

(I have to go out to the garage now and look at "him". This thread is making me miss "him". :( :D )

garfin 01-05-2008 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt0319 (Post 37586)
Hey everyone, i'm new here, and i think this site is pretty cool. I just have a question for anyone who cares to answer. Basically I want a new camaro as bad as most others here on the site... But I live in Michigan where we get some harsh winters/snowfall and such. Obviously you dont want to treck through snow in a Camaro, which leads me to my question? Is it worth the purchase to store this car during winters, and drive a "beater" car during the winter? I currently have a 97 grand prix with about 105,000 miles which i suppose if it makes it till 09 (which it certainly should, barring a car wreck...knock on wood..) I could use that as a winter car... or just say maybe not and get an all purpose/trusty winter car etc... Anyone else have a situation like this?? thanks for the input in advance!

This will end up being a personal choice for many buyers of the car.
Don't think for a second that GM isn't tuned into the needs of those customers who for whatever reason, are only going to have the new Camaro as their only vehicle. GM wants to sell as many of these cars as they can to the younger crowd - not just to the dyed-in-the-wool enthusiasts - and you can be sure they have addressed this issue and will see to it that this will be a practical car to drive in the winter. GM does not want to lose sales to FWD coupes because people might perceive the vehicle as not performing well in the snow.
I learned to drive in an era when there was no such thing as FWD, traction control or radial tires. Operating a RWD car in snow is pretty easy with the right tires, a little bit of common sense/know-how and some experience.
A very good friend of mine (who also learned to drive around the same time as I did) has a 98 T/A as his only car. He drives it every day, all year round and has over 300,000 km on it. He works in Ottawa and commutes back and forth to Toronto on weekends. He's also an avid skier and takes the T/A up north to ski country a few times each winter. He's certainly had problems with visibility during storms in the past, but never encountered a problem driving the car in the snow and ice in the almost 10 years that he's had it.

Best regardSS,

Elie

Matt0319 01-05-2008 12:58 PM

Cool, thanks for the replies. My Grand Prix has been paid off for a while too, so if it can be a reliable car for years to come that would also benefit if i can store the Camaro during winters, take the insurance off and save money/pay off the Camaro easier.

Splicerguy 01-05-2008 05:20 PM

I had a '97 Z-28 and drove it year round in PA. I had a second set of wheels with GOOD snow tires on them. With the snow tires, it drove pretty well and I made it to work with no problems.

DGthe3 01-05-2008 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt0319 (Post 37626)
Cool, thanks for the replies. My Grand Prix has been paid off for a while too, so if it can be a reliable car for years to come that would also benefit if i can store the Camaro during winters, take the insurance off and save money/pay off the Camaro easier.

I was thinking about buying a grand prix and using it as a daily driver, then as a winter car once I get a new Camaro

z28camaro2471 01-05-2008 08:26 PM

Get or keep a beater for the winter. It's not an issue, for me at least of driving a RWD vehicle in the snow. I've done it plenty of winters with no problems. If you had to you could always put snow tires on it. My guess is that the new Camaro will have traction control too.

The problem I have with winter is the corrosive, rust inducing, car destroying salt they use to melt the snow up here. I've never driven any of my "toys" in the winter. Even when it meant spending the last $200 I had to buy a POS in the fall, transferring plates, insurance, etc and then dumping the POS in the spring and transferring plates, insurance, etc back again. I did that for almost 8 years.

alleykt123 01-05-2008 09:07 PM

I am SO glad that I don't have to worry about Winter driving conditions! It would just about kill me to have to garage the beast! :moon:

WillInThe04Ranger 01-06-2008 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose (Post 37613)
First. BY ALL MEANS...you should get a new Camaro! A life w/o a Camaro in it is definately lacking IMO. :thumbsup:

If you can afford a 2nd car as a daily driver, do it. ;)

I park the SS usually in late Oct., and don't drive it regularly until April. (I will, on occassion, take it out to "warm him up" between Oct. & April weather/roads permitting.)

Its always a sad time putting him away, but that first ride in the Spring is.....:happyanim:

For the Winter, I detail the SS one more time, fill the tank, change the oil/filter, and use a battery tender when necessary. :thumbsup:

(I have to go out to the garage now and look at "him". This thread is making me miss "him". :( :D )

So true :bellyroll:

TFord 01-06-2008 04:03 AM

Ive driven my Camaro year round, but I dont have a choice. Depending on how much life is left in my 4th gen, my 5th wont see the snow. If that cant happen I wont have a prob driving my 5th rain, sleet, hail, or snow.

69copo 01-06-2008 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When I got my first camaro in 1992 I had a few bucks saved up. I was working as general labor for granfathers construction company. When winter came I thought that I would drive it. My grandfather being the wise man and car collector that he is suggested that I get a beater. I went out and for 800 bucks got my self a Chevette. What a piece of crap! The engine blew smoke the rear hatch didn't stay up the alternator kept burning out and there was no hood release inside the car. Did I mention that there was no reverse gear.It worked though and was a good idea. A pain in the ass but better than risking damange to the Camaro. If ANYONE can drive a beater in the frigid northeast do it. As a point of interest when storing the camaro (or any car) for an extended period of time please and a fuel stabilizer. There nothing worse than trying to start car with a full tank of maple syrup, and if you can remove the tires and put the car on stands. This will prevent any flat spots on the tires. Silica gell is also a good idea. It helps to keep the moisture down in the interior and reduce mold. A battery tender is a must! I've grown up since then and have gotten myself a better "beater". It may seem like overkill but trust me if we get 12in I bring this out and still have fun. Attachment 3335

z28camaro2471 01-06-2008 09:14 PM

Your beater cost more new than my house. :)

Matt0319 01-06-2008 09:41 PM

haha nice beater....

TAG UR IT 01-07-2008 12:40 AM

Very nice...love the interior on those. They sure as hell took their time making sure everything was perfect in the cabin. At least...the one I sat in at the auto show was jaw dropping.

DGthe3 01-07-2008 12:43 AM

If I ever owned an H1 I would make sure that the thing is covered in mud! That would show up nicely against the yellow . . .

69copo 01-07-2008 09:39 AM

I bought used @ Central Hummer/Cadillac in Beechwood Ohio. I paid under 40K. Still costly but alot less than the 130K new. It's not a bad investment, diesel engine 4-wheel drive fully indepenent suspension and built like a brick s**t house. I doesn't hurt that everyone gets out of your way when you come down the road. And at $3.15 a gal. Having dual 30 gallon tanks (aftermarket) let's me go a long ways.

CBR9Seadoo 01-09-2008 01:30 PM

I store my 88 camaro and 02 vette in Oct and drive other things durning them dar winters up here in MN.

Pencil.Fight 01-09-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose (Post 37613)
A life w/o a Camaro in it is definately lacking IMO. :thumbsup:

Way to make me feel bad. I've failed at life. :cry:

DGthe3 01-09-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pencil.Fight (Post 38263)
Way to make me feel bad. I've failed at life. :cry:

That can be fixed in about a year or so

Pencil.Fight 01-09-2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 38266)
That can be fixed in about a year or so

Woot! DG's buying me a Camaro! :happyanim:

DGthe3 01-09-2008 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pencil.Fight (Post 38267)
Woot! DG's buying me a Camaro! :happyanim:

I'll give you one as soon as someone gives me two

Moose 01-09-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pencil.Fight (Post 38263)
Way to make me feel bad. I've failed at life. :cry:

:( I'm sorry. :(


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.