Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Flooded Car (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247285)

tramtwo 08-30-2012 04:43 PM

Flooded Car
 
Nope not from Issac from a local dealership. :facepalm:

What concerns should I have with standing water inside of a closed Camaro for three weeks in the heat of the summer? Where can mold grow and what can be done to clean and disinfect the car completely if anything? What effect on the wiring and electronic equipment if any is there? The water that is visible is in the back foot wheel area.

https://p.twimg.com/A1K6Sl4CMAEweS4.jpg

EDIT:: These trim pieces were left off.

https://p.twimg.com/A1K5qdACAAEBXlM.jpg

BowtieBelle 08-30-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tramtwo (Post 5514479)
Nope not from Issac from a local dealership. :facepalm:

What concerns should I have with standing water inside of a closed Camaro for three weeks in the heat of the summer? Where can mold grow and what can be done to clean and disinfect the car completely if anything? What effect on the wiring and electronic equipment if any is there? The water that is visible is in the back foot wheel area.

https://p.twimg.com/A1K6Sl4CMAEweS4.jpg

May want to check with bossbunny. Her Camaro's floor got flooded. Usually the insurance will just total them because of the wiring issue but hers was deemed to be okay and there was a process to replace the carpet and whatnot.

toesuf94 08-30-2012 04:54 PM

That freaking sucks. Demand they replace the interior. Mold can and will grow ANYWHERE there was water or the moisture that accumulated in the hot car. Go to a pick a part and check out cars that have been there a little while to see what water does to everything. I would be pissed. I am glad I went with the hardtop...the top woes I read on here REALLY SCARE ME.

I hope this gets resolved PROPERLY.

strych9 08-30-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tramtwo (Post 5514479)
Nope not from Issac from a local dealership. :facepalm:

What concerns should I have with standing water inside of a closed Camaro for three weeks in the heat of the summer? Where can mold grow and what can be done to clean and disinfect the car completely if anything? What effect on the wiring and electronic equipment if any is there? The water that is visible is in the back foot wheel area.

https://p.twimg.com/A1K6Sl4CMAEweS4.jpg

I assume that the water level made it above the center of the wheels? If so, you have wheel bearings, differential, and other components to consider in addition to your interior problems.

Electronic modules could be damaged, etc. If you want to quantify the damage and/or mold growth, take out the seats, console and carpet. Only then will you really be able to gauge the damage.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE 08-30-2012 04:56 PM

if you didn't get mud in the vehicle you can usually save it by stripping out the interior, using a wet dry vac and getting as much and you can out..

then put some big ass fans in the vehicle to dry it out, and coat everything with this stuff:

http://www.waxco.net/product_images/...pray-550ml.jpg


it will prevent the wires and connectors from rusting..

the deal is to get on it ASAP, the longer you wait the worse it will be..

it is a lot of work, but we have saved a few cars from the totalling fate this way, we also treat our boats with it because we dunk them in salt water more than fresh water out here.

RollaMo 08-30-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowtieBelle (Post 5514491)
May want to check with bossbunny. Her Camaro's floor got flooded. Usually the insurance will just total them because of the wiring issue but hers was deemed to be okay and there was a process to replace the carpet and whatnot.

I agree, you need to have someone (besides that dealer) look at it.

If it was just a an inch or two of water in the floor board, then you might just need a good cleaning (worst case, carpet replaced).

The wires in your picture being exposed are not too bad to worry about.
But if water got into any connections, then it could get bad.
Was the water deep enough to get into the electric seat motors?

I would be rather firm with the dealer that you want all carpet and padding replaced.

How did the water get in there? Someone leave the windows down, or is there a leak?

tramtwo 08-30-2012 06:16 PM

The car's top has a leak and it was stored outside by the dealer while waiting on parts for three weeks now. Can there be mold in the AC system?

cam62 08-30-2012 06:25 PM

Tramtwo,
I'm assuming yours leaked the way mine did. Water management bag drain tubes not seated properly? If so, doubtful there is any air conditioning damage. The water drains to the floorboard between the interior quarterpanel wall adn the exterior. There is a lot of insulation at the bottom there so that's probably completely soaked.

I don't remember if you're going the buy back route, but if you decide to let (I say let, because this should not be on your dime to fix) them fix it, it's painful to go look at.

The carpet is one piece. All seats, console, cushions etc need to come out. I thought about using that opportunity to run better speaker wires but gm bought the car back instead.

Anyway, your question was about AC. Like I said, doubtful. If it leaks where I assume it does, there aren't any ac vents in that space between the interior and external quarterpanel.

tramtwo 08-30-2012 06:31 PM

Thanks. I am asking about the AC because the car has had a lot of standing water in it for weeks in extreme heat of the summer. Surely some of those vapors condensed... the smell is unbelievable.

Russell James 08-30-2012 06:45 PM

Basically, it's totalled.

It can be fixed right. Completely stripped, disinfected, scrubbed, all soft part interior parts replaced.... there is a procedure to disinfect the HVAC ducting.... but realistically do you think a dealer is going to do that? You will never get that smell out of that car. It can be done, I've seen it done... but I highly doubt flat rate dealer techs are going to take the time and care it takes to do it right. Strip car, clean everything, replace anthing fabric/foam, reassemble car.... notgonnahappen.com. What will happen... Dealer throws new carpet in, sprays a little lysol in the HVAC... then months from now you will still be dealing with rank odors that just keep getting worse.

I'd tell them two words. New car.

01pewterz28 08-30-2012 06:46 PM

They will need to do an entire interior replacement

-Seats
-Carpet
-Head liner
-Maybe electrical items
-Dash will need to be removed
-All vents will need to be replaced
-complete disinfect of car

Insurance might total it depending on the cost my estimate is $15k

Russell James 08-30-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tramtwo (Post 5514903)
Thanks. I am asking about the AC because the car has had a lot of standing water in it for weeks in extreme heat of the summer. Surely some of those vapors condensed... the smell is unbelievable.

The key is right there.... "the smell is unbelievable".

Water leak cars can easily be fixed if caught before they go funky. Let it sit out in the sun for weeks like these assholes apparently did... and that car is ruined. Been there, done that, it's fuct.

It's not just the AC, it's the entire interior. Smells attach to everything. Hard surfaces can be cleaned and disinfected, anything soft/porous is ruined.

Here is how you can tell if they actually fixed it when all is said and done. When they say the car is fixed, take it out back in the sun and lock it up. Take the keys. Tell them you'll be back in one week to open the car up with the Service Manager and Owner of the dealership standing there as it opens. If after one week closed up in the sun, it smells fine... be on your way and thank them for a great repair. If it smells like a bum's nutsack, those idiots better be starting the paperwork on a new car.

1SSFever 08-30-2012 07:42 PM

Oops!

Did ya check the trunk? There's probably a pool in the spare tire well.

Wantconvertible 08-30-2012 07:48 PM

You would think they would place an car cover on it while waiting on parts , I'm sure the dealer has a few,dum mother f****'s

rmyers 08-30-2012 08:01 PM

I'd be a bit upset that they took my car apart without having the parts to fix it. Just doesn't make sense to me. I would not be happy about this at all. Good luck!

Ringo64 08-30-2012 08:05 PM

Honestly if this happened to me I would settle for nothing less of a new Camaro from the dealer. There is no excuse for stupidity like that. You may be able to replace the interior but I don't think you'll be able to get all the mold and for someone like me with allergies that is hell.

1SSFever 08-30-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmyers (Post 5515358)
I'd be a bit upset that they took my car apart without having the parts to fix it. Just doesn't make sense to me. I would not be happy about this at all. Good luck!

Well they had to figure out what was wrong with it. What I hate is when they slap it back together and send you back out, still with the problem, so you can drive around for 3 weeks until the parts come in.

babytiger 08-30-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tramtwo (Post 5514903)
Thanks. I am asking about the AC because the car has had a lot of standing water in it for weeks in extreme heat of the summer. Surely some of those vapors condensed... the smell is unbelievable.

Imagine how good the smell of the new Camaro their insurance company buys you will be.

tramtwo 08-30-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringo64 (Post 5515392)
Honestly if this happened to me I would settle for nothing less of a new Camaro from the dealer. There is no excuse for stupidity like that. You may be able to replace the interior but I don't think you'll be able to get all the mold and for someone like me with allergies that is hell.

I was contacted yesterday by GM after a BBB claim and basically they stand behind their cars not their dealers. :facepalm: The GM rep says from what he sees a buyback is not in order. :iono: Car has been to dealer at least ten times for about 45 days and counting. They still have to replace the water managmnet system and the carpet and whatever else having a moldy car requires. :cry:

Angrybird 12 08-30-2012 08:18 PM

To me this is all on the dealer. They have a responsibility while the car is under their care not to incur further damage from their negligence. You may have to get a lawyer and sue the dealership for negligence, loss of use of the vehicle, and maybe for your aggravation. GM probably will not replace the car themselves but for customer relations they might. So I would continue to persue both avenues and see which one leads somewhere.
Good luck.

2xSSRS 08-30-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tramtwo (Post 5515447)
I was contacted yesterday by GM after a BBB claim and basically they stand behind their cars not their dealers. :facepalm: The GM rep says from what he sees a buyback is not in order. :iono: Car has been to dealer at least ten times for about 45 days and counting. They still have to replace the water managmnet system and the carpet and whatever else having a moldy car requires. :cry:

I would go absolutely postal! :mad0260:

babytiger 08-30-2012 08:26 PM

That smell is probably in the fabric top as well. It sucks tram, sorry this is happening to you.

Russell James 08-30-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tramtwo (Post 5515447)
I was contacted yesterday by GM after a BBB claim and basically they stand behind their cars not their dealers. :facepalm: The GM rep says from what he sees a buyback is not in order. :iono: Car has been to dealer at least ten times for about 45 days and counting. They still have to replace the water managmnet system and the carpet and whatever else having a moldy car requires. :cry:

100% Bullshit.

The dealer is an agent of GM. One cannot separate themselves from the other. A dealer ****s up is GM ****ing up. Period, ask any attorney.

Let them fix it, stick it in the sun for a week and see if it still smells like ass.

BBB is the first step, lemon law next if still not resolved. What was the BBB ruling? Sounds like you have met a rep that wont help until ordered to. Some are helpfull and grasp the concept of customer satisfaction. Some are assholes that need a judge to tell them how the situation should be handled.

Ringo64 08-30-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 5515469)
To me this is all on the dealer. They have a responsibility while the car is under their care not to incur further damage from their negligence. You may have to get a lawyer and sue the dealership for negligence, loss of use of the vehicle, and maybe for your aggravation. GM probably will not replace the car themselves but for customer relations they might. So I would continue to persue both avenues and see which one leads somewhere.
Good luck.

Agreed, sadly who you should focus on is the dealer. GM may step in but the fault is solely on the dealer due to they are the ones who did it.

I would try every avenue possible to get this resolved to you having a new Camaro

AirManFL 08-30-2012 08:36 PM

Have you called your insurance company? Perhaps they can either give you some advice or depending on your policy you may be able to file a claim and they would in turn go after the dealers insurance.

Just a thought.

Rob


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.