Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Minor Problem With My Window Indexing (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25050)

roadie2991 05-31-2009 12:06 AM

Minor Problem With My Window Indexing
 
I had a relatively minor problem with my window indexing this evening and I thought I would share what I learned from this. As my wife and I were leaving a party, I noticed "Open, Then Close Passenger Window" displayed on the DIC. I was aware that if your battery was disconnected...then you had to do this to reprogram the window indexing. However, my battery had not been disconnected. So, when I tried to lower the window...it would not open at all. I pulled over and walked around to the passenger side...opened the door. The window did not index as it is supposed to. As I gently attempted to close the door, the glass blocked it from closing. At this point I decided to consult the owner's manual. On page 1-15, I found this "If the vehicle loses power or the window freezes, this feature (window indexing) may not work. From outside the vehicle, close the door and push the window inward so that the glass goes under the molding". In actuality, you must gently push the door closed until you get resistance on the window, then apply pressure to the very top of the glass until it slides under the molding...then push the door until it latches. When I got back in, the warning was still on the DIC and the window still would not lower. So I drove to my next destination, turned off the engine....and restarted it....still nothing! So then I turn it off again....waited about 3 minutes...started it and the window then worked (but not the express open). I lowered the window all the way and then back up. I checked the window indexing and express open...still nothing. I then lowered the window all the way down....waited a few seconds, then raised it back up. At that point the express open and window indexing began functioning normally again.

I certainly don't want this thread to become a "what kind of crap are they putting out" discussion. Let me be clear...I love this car and it was only a minor inconvenience. Now that I know what to do should it ever happen again, this it will be even less of an inconvenience. I just wanted to pass this information on, in case it ever happens to any of you...to save you a little time.
:thumbsup:

Vash 05-31-2009 12:10 AM

Take it to the shop. There was some kind of similar issue with the CTF that they fixed I think. They might be able to fix it by reprogramming or reflashing the main controller.

But the dealer has the tools for that so.

Good Luck on it, no biggie it will get fixed.

Jamie Mac 05-31-2009 12:13 AM

OMG EVERYONE PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then again lets not. If it continues to be a problem, then I'm sure some software engineers will be on it. How about we just wait and see and if its a problem, wait on the fix and then go get the fix. Or we can all just FREAK THE F*&# OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can we do a poll on whether to freak out or not?

BTW, thanks for the info. Hopefully it will not continue and if so, an easy and quick fix.

tbss1 05-31-2009 12:14 AM

thanks for the heads up

FiLTHy PHiL SS/RS 05-31-2009 12:15 AM

I know on my 02 vet there is a code sequence through the dash functions to set how hard the windows go up and down. there is no indexing on my vet.
but my 05 stang has it. and i set that by holding down all the way and hold a few secs, sets down. same for up all way hold few secs and its indexed.
Hope that helps a little as well.
hated to use mustang example... sorry

KJS 05-31-2009 10:27 AM

I had a glitch with mine...
 
drivers side window would not go up fully. Tried a few times then it worked ok. Haven't had problems since then.
Chalking it up to just one of those things. As you probably saw on page 1-16 of the owners manual how to re-program the indexing. If I have problems again, I'll try that. If it continues I'll see the dealer. I really don't want anyone removing the the door panel if I can avoid it.

Number_9 05-31-2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJS (Post 536285)
...As you probably saw on page 1-16 of the owners manual how to re-program the indexing...

Seriously, sixteen pages to explain reprogramming the window indexing? Wow.

bballr4567 05-31-2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number_9 (Post 536297)
Seriously, sixteen pages to explain reprogramming the window indexing? Wow.

:sm0:

No. GM uses certain sections to explain stuff. Section 1 is usually the stuff you can program or change. I think section 4 is the safety stuff and section 6 is the mechanical information.

Window indexing is in section 1 and on page 16 in THAT section. They restart the page numbers over again in each section.

UCF w00t 05-31-2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number_9 (Post 536297)
Seriously, sixteen pages to explain reprogramming the window indexing? Wow.

Not pages "1 through 16" but "section 1 page 16"

SSOOCH 05-31-2009 11:09 AM

WOW, what kind of crap is GM putting out! j/k :;):

Supermans 05-31-2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Mac (Post 535679)
OMG EVERYONE PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then again lets not. If it continues to be a problem, then I'm sure some software engineers will be on it. How about we just wait and see and if its a problem, wait on the fix and then go get the fix. Or we can all just FREAK THE F*&# OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can we do a poll on whether to freak out or not?

BTW, thanks for the info. Hopefully it will not continue and if so, an easy and quick fix.

You're the only one so far who is panicking..lol..

Number_9 05-31-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballr4567 (Post 536347)
:sm0:

No. GM uses certain sections to explain stuff. Section 1 is usually the stuff you can program or change. I think section 4 is the safety stuff and section 6 is the mechanical information.

Window indexing is in section 1 and on page 16 in THAT section. They restart the page numbers over again in each section.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCF w00t (Post 536349)
Not pages "1 through 16" but "section 1 page 16"

Sorry, forgot to add a LOL or something to the end, to indicate I was kidding. :sm0:

Emher 05-31-2009 11:31 AM

Irony and sarcasm is apparantly hard to understand on the Internet.

bballr4567 05-31-2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number_9 (Post 536386)
Sorry, forgot to add a LOL or something to the end, to indicate I was kidding. :sm0:

HAHAHAH Its all good. I figured you were but some people dont pick up on it so might as well give an explantion of GMs stupid manual listings.

Number_9 05-31-2009 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emher (Post 536391)
Irony and sarcasm is apparantly hard to understand on the Internet.

Yeah, I usually do a better job of stressing those things. :)

Getting back on track.. to me, the Window Indexing thing appears to be more of a sporadic thing impacting a small number of cars more than an actual issue with all of them.

Main 05-31-2009 11:39 AM

I have an '06 G6 GT coupe that also uses the window indexing. Since we get pretty decent winter, I was concerned about problems with it, but in the long run it's been fine. I have had to run through the reset steps 2 or 3 times and once or twice they have been so frozen that it was difficult to open doors since they wouldn't index. Start the car with the remote starter, let them warm up, and it was fine.

It's odd for them to just need a reset - I think I only had to do it once after service to my alternator/battery...

Vash 05-31-2009 11:41 AM

Some things are just best old school. Up and down lol..

This is something that needs to be KISSafied.

Bell040 05-31-2009 12:22 PM

notice that post 1 and 6 are both V6 cars (2LT)

UCF w00t 05-31-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vash (Post 536407)
Some things are just best old school. Up and down lol..

This is something that needs to be KISSafied.

Window indexing is necessary on frameless windows in order to keep them from making noise at higher speeds and to ensure a tight seal.

sabrescamaro 05-31-2009 01:02 PM

Good thing I'm taking out my windows and putting in those nets so I can jump in.

BlemsBumble 05-31-2009 01:15 PM

Never heard of indexing until I started researching this car. I don't want any problems, I've had my share of power window issues in the past.

UCF w00t 05-31-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlemsBumble (Post 536557)
Never heard of indexing until I started researching this car. I don't want any problems, I've had my share of power window issues in the past.

Most other current cars with frameless windows do it.

MikeZ28 06-01-2009 03:32 PM

I'd rather have a window that has a little wind noise than something that seems so prone to have problems (not just on Camaro, it's common problem area on BMW 135, Corvette, etc.) I agree with the "KISS" comment.

Shadowmind 06-01-2009 06:08 PM

What would happen if your 9 year old slammed the door shut, when the windows was not indexing correctly? We talking broken window?

UCF w00t 06-01-2009 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeZ28 (Post 540123)
I'd rather have a window that has a little wind noise than something that seems so prone to have problems (not just on Camaro, it's common problem area on BMW 135, Corvette, etc.) I agree with the "KISS" comment.

For what it's worth, I'm watching an episode of SuperCars Exposed and he's driving the Pagani Zonda F and I noticed the window index when he closed the door.

I really don't think this is going to be a consistent problem. I'm not worried about it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.