Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - California (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   CA Yellow on Black Plates in 2013 (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252979)

Camaro Fred 09-30-2012 11:40 AM

CA Yellow on Black Plates in 2013
 
For those interested in obtaining 1960's color style CA License plate (yellow on black) or the 1950's colors (black on yellow), Gov. Brown just signed an Assembly Bill AB 1658 that will bring these colors back (for an annual fee of course:thumbdown:). There needs to be 7,500 applicants between Jan 2013 and Jan 2014 to make it happen. Read about it at:

http://enewschannels.com/2012/09/28/enc15402_200241.php

TripleB 09-30-2012 02:52 PM

Hey that's cool!!

Now, which one should I get? lol..I'm thinking black with yellow.

Obzen 09-30-2012 07:31 PM

Finally. They should offer new colors as well. Not that yellow will match anything on my car but I'd love a black plate. Now we wait til January........

ss eleanor 09-30-2012 09:00 PM

Oh man , I'm gonna check this out. Thanks for the heads up

Synerbee 09-30-2012 09:55 PM

If only they opened it up to different colors. Maybe we can get rid of the CARB laws on car parts if Governor Brown is a car guy :laugh:

TripleB 09-30-2012 10:53 PM

Wonder what the fee will be.

Obzen 10-01-2012 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleB (Post 5639517)
Wonder what the fee will be.

I read somewhere it was 50 start plus 40 annual. Which is in line with what a "custom" plate is right now.

TripleB 10-01-2012 12:09 PM

Yeah, custom plate now is $49 and $30-something for renewal. I'm sure this will be on top of those fees if you have a personalized one.

90503 10-01-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro Fred (Post 5637609)
For those interested in obtaining 1960's color style CA License plate (yellow on black) or the 1950's colors (black on yellow), Gov. Brown just signed an Assembly Bill AB 1658 that will bring these colors back (for an annual fee of course:thumbdown:). There needs to be 7,500 applicants between Jan 2013 and Jan 2014 to make it happen. Read about it at:

http://enewschannels.com/2012/09/28/enc15402_200241.php

I'd say this will happen for sure...Won't be a shortage of applicants at all...It's a great idea...Can't remember what year was the last for those before they started using the blue plates...

Mr. iNCREDIBLE 10-01-2012 12:19 PM

if it comes in a disabled person flavor, black/yellow, then I'm in.. else I'll stick with my ugly ass reflective white and blue.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE 10-01-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 5640972)
I'd say this will happen for sure...Won't be a shortage of applicants at all...It's a great idea...Can't remember what year was the last for those before they started using the blue plates...


1969 was first year of blue/yellow.

90503 10-01-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE (Post 5640990)
1969 was first year of blue/yellow.

Cool...thanks...got a '67 International Scout...lol...gotta have the right plate!...lol

Mr. iNCREDIBLE 10-01-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90503 (Post 5641005)
Cool...thanks...got a '67 International Scout...lol...gotta have the right plate!...lol

you have always been able to use YOM (year of manufacture) plates in CA, if you can find a black/yellow (ebay or some other source) that is currently NOT in use and you have a vehicle in the same YOM, then all you have to do is take the plate to the DMV and have them register it to your vehilce, my HR manager has a 1962 Eldorado her and her husband bought and restored 2 years ago and that's how they did it..


CA-Vehilce Code:

5004.1. (a) (1) ( )1 An owner of a vehicle that is a 1969 or older model-year vehicle or the owner of a commercial vehicle or a pickup truck that is a 1972 or older model-year may, after the requirements for the registration of the vehicle are complied with and with the approval of the department, utilize license plates of this state with the date of year corresponding to the model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured, if the model-year date license plate is legible and serviceable, as determined by the department, in lieu of the license plates otherwise required by this code.(2) The department may consult with an organization of old car hobbyists in determining whether the date of year of the license plate corresponds to the model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured.
(b) A fee of forty-five dollars ($45) shall be charged for the application for the use of the special plates.

(c) In addition to the regular renewal fee for the vehicle for which the plates are authorized, the applicant for a renewal of the plates shall be charged an additional fee of ten dollars ($10). ( )2 If payment of a regular vehicle renewal fee is not required by this code, the holder of license plates with a date corresponding to the model-year may retain the plates upon payment of an annual fee of twenty dollars($20)( )3 that shall be due at the expiration of the registration year of the vehicle to which the plates were last assigned under this section.

(d) ( )4 If a person who is authorized to utilize the special license plates applies to the department for transfer of the plates to another vehicle, a transfer fee of twelve dollars ($12) shall be charged in addition to all other appropriate fees.

-----



personally I would go this route for your car, as this new program is issuing plates with the current numbering sequence, which won't properly match your car..


* edit * also this guy will make you a black/yellow replacement if you find some on ebay that are kinda trashed, http://www.cr8-one.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=212

however you must already have them registered on the vehicle and show proof, all he is doing is making you a new plate in the style/design of the old plate that is trashed, he cannot make you a plate that you don't already own that is not in the proper numbering sequence (in other words he cannot make your 2012 plate a 1965 look a like)

90503 10-01-2012 01:26 PM

Good tip...thanks again for the heads up...I'll check into it....

ss eleanor 10-01-2012 05:42 PM

So does anyone know how much the plates are, does it matter what color you get?

Mr. iNCREDIBLE 10-01-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ss eleanor (Post 5642167)
So does anyone know how much the plates are, does it matter what color you get?


hasn't passed yet, but expect it to be similar to the personal plate fee. $40/ year.

personal and the colored = $80/yr OVER regular fees.

ss eleanor 10-01-2012 08:39 PM

Oh wow, I have personal plates already. But I was thinking to paint mine black& yellow so will see I guess

Mr. iNCREDIBLE 10-01-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ss eleanor (Post 5642885)
Oh wow, I have personal plates already. But I was thinking to paint mine black& yellow so will see I guess


not legal, that is a penal code (not vehicle code) violation for defacing/damaging state property and it is a HEAVY fine.

SPCBA 10-01-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE (Post 5643007)
not legal, that is a penal code (not vehicle code) violation for defacing/damaging state property and it is a HEAVY fine.

What he said. don't paint your plates it is very bad juju

ss eleanor 10-01-2012 09:56 PM

Thanks, I kno we seen people do it and that's what I said but no one ever said that its a big no no. Thanks for the info

Mr. iNCREDIBLE 10-01-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ss eleanor (Post 5643246)
Thanks, I kno we seen people do it and that's what I said but no one ever said that its a big no no. Thanks for the info


something in the neighborhood of $3,000 fine and a criminal charge if the LEO feels like being a jerk about it.

Camaro Fred 10-02-2012 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE (Post 5641163)
you have always been able to use YOM (year of manufacture) plates in CA, if you can find a black/yellow (ebay or some other source) that is currently NOT in use and you have a vehicle in the same YOM, then all you have to do is take the plate to the DMV and have them register it to your vehilce, my HR manager has a 1962 Eldorado her and her husband bought and restored 2 years ago and that's how they did it..


CA-Vehilce Code:

5004.1. (a) (1) ( )1 An owner of a vehicle that is a 1969 or older model-year vehicle or the owner of a commercial vehicle or a pickup truck that is a 1972 or older model-year may, after the requirements for the registration of the vehicle are complied with and with the approval of the department, utilize license plates of this state with the date of year corresponding to the model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured, if the model-year date license plate is legible and serviceable, as determined by the department, in lieu of the license plates otherwise required by this code.(2) The department may consult with an organization of old car hobbyists in determining whether the date of year of the license plate corresponds to the model-year date when the vehicle was manufactured.
(b) A fee of forty-five dollars ($45) shall be charged for the application for the use of the special plates.

(c) In addition to the regular renewal fee for the vehicle for which the plates are authorized, the applicant for a renewal of the plates shall be charged an additional fee of ten dollars ($10). ( )2 If payment of a regular vehicle renewal fee is not required by this code, the holder of license plates with a date corresponding to the model-year may retain the plates upon payment of an annual fee of twenty dollars($20)( )3 that shall be due at the expiration of the registration year of the vehicle to which the plates were last assigned under this section.

(d) ( )4 If a person who is authorized to utilize the special license plates applies to the department for transfer of the plates to another vehicle, a transfer fee of twelve dollars ($12) shall be charged in addition to all other appropriate fees.

-----



personally I would go this route for your car, as this new program is issuing plates with the current numbering sequence, which won't properly match your car..


* edit * also this guy will make you a black/yellow replacement if you find some on ebay that are kinda trashed, http://www.cr8-one.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=212

however you must already have them registered on the vehicle and show proof, all he is doing is making you a new plate in the style/design of the old plate that is trashed, he cannot make you a plate that you don't already own that is not in the proper numbering sequence (in other words he cannot make your 2012 plate a 1965 look a like)

So if I get a black and yellow plate made by "this guy" using the custom plate numbers assigned to my registered 2012 ZL1, will cops be able to tell I am not paying the additional $50/yr for the black and yellow plates? I want to get my custom plates made in black and yellow and avoid paying the additional annual costs for retro colored plates. What do you all think? Technically I would not be defacing any plates - ie no $3K fine.

JewelSS 10-02-2012 01:31 AM

Me like alot, not sure how it will look on my car but some others will look pretty clean....:w00t:

Obzen 10-02-2012 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro Fred (Post 5643883)
So if I get a black and yellow plate made by "this guy" using the custom plate numbers assigned to my registered 2012 ZL1, will cops be able to tell I am not paying the additional $50/yr for the black and yellow plates? I want to get my custom plates made in black and yellow and avoid paying the additional annual costs for retro colored plates. What do you all think? Technically I would not be defacing any plates - ie no $3K fine.



It'll be like $40 a year. Just pay the fee. I know this state sucks but show them some love for finally doing something we've all been wanting for a long time. Plus, if you get caught somehow, it will cost you more than the lifetime of renewing your plate anyways.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE 10-02-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro Fred (Post 5643883)
So if I get a black and yellow plate made by "this guy" using the custom plate numbers assigned to my registered 2012 ZL1, will cops be able to tell I am not paying the additional $50/yr for the black and yellow plates? I want to get my custom plates made in black and yellow and avoid paying the additional annual costs for retro colored plates. What do you all think? Technically I would not be defacing any plates - ie no $3K fine.

not something I can answer, but as of now he will not make anything except the pre 1960s numbering sequence plates, so he won't make your current 2012 plates in black and yellow.


as I stated, you must own a pre 1969 plate that is legally registered to a pre-1969 car and then he will make you a replacement for a damaged or worn out pre-1969 plate that you legally own, he will not make random plates or custom plates, he is authorized by CA to make replacement plates for verified registered vehicles only.


Seeing as this Assembly Bill has not yet passed, or even been voted on, everything up to that point is pure speculation..

I emailed Assemblyman Mike Gatto as he is my area's rep and asked some specific questions on the bill and for him to send me a copy of the actual bill being submitted (seeing as most sites only have parts of it posted).

When I get a reply I will post it up for everyone.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.