Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Front End Clunk Noise Recording (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253979)

blackswan 10-05-2012 08:45 PM

Front End Clunk Noise Recording
 
Frustrated about the replacement of struts, mounts, bumpers, sway bar end links and bushing being replaced and now I actually have more noise. Some have referred to it as a popping noise http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49036 and there are other noises some are complaining about that i don't think are the same. So I recorded it best I can, hope this is useful to see if there's a commonality and we can get together potentially for a joint approach to GM on this issue. My dealer has tried their best, but I'm starting to think it's a parts issue.

See attachment for the sound - is it what you hear?

http://www.mediafire.com/?s94853d359d3kg5

JusticePete 10-05-2012 08:48 PM

That tink?

Angrybird 12 10-05-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackswan (Post 5659685)
Frustrated about the replacement of struts, mounts, bumpers, sway bar end links and bushing being replaced and now I actually have more noise. Some have referred to it as a popping noise http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49036 and there are other noises some are complaining about that i don't think are the same. So I recorded it best I can, hope this is useful to see if there's a commonality and we can get together potentially for a joint approach to GM on this issue. My dealer has tried their best, but I'm starting to think it's a parts issue.

See attachment for the sound - is it what you hear?

My 2010 V6 Coupe had a clunk or thump when going over bumps. My 2012 convertible is solid and quiet. The noise on the 10 started almost from the time I drove off the lot. My 12 now has almost 6,000 miles and is still solid. When did yours first started clunking?

JusticePete 10-05-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 5659708)
My 2010 V6 Coupe had a clunk or thump when going over bumps. My 2012 convertible is solid and quiet. The noise on the 10 started almost from the time I drove off the lot. My 12 now has almost 6,000 miles and is still solid. When did yours first started clunking?

Noise threads tend to get cluttered. If you have already listened to his MP3 file with the noise, can you confirm that what you heard on the MP3 is the same as your clunk?

blackswan 10-05-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 5659700)
That tink?

No, those are my keys :) I ran the audio through a noise filter, but was unable to get rid of that tink without losing some of the awesome lumber sound. If you aren't hearing it (it's throughout most of the audio) then you may not have enough bass from your computer's speakers. It mostly comes out of my subwoofer on my computer and seems to be in the 100-300hz range. Decent headphones might let you hear it.

blackswan 10-05-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 (Post 5659708)
My 2010 V6 Coupe had a clunk or thump when going over bumps. My 2012 convertible is solid and quiet. The noise on the 10 started almost from the time I drove off the lot. My 12 now has almost 6,000 miles and is still solid. When did yours first started clunking?

Mine was very quiet until about 800 miles on it. It got progressively worse over time.

I had a shop disconnect the front sway bar end links and secure the bar. I went for a drive and it was quiet again. So dealer replaced end links and sway bar bushing and gave it back to me. Noise was back. I told them thanks for trying, and they gave it one more shot by replacing the struts, mounts and bumpers. Was quiet for about 50 miles and now, about 300 miles later, it's REALLY bad. Makes the noise on highway joints and such.

This weekend I'm going to check fasteners all around, again. Also going to disconnect end links, again. I'm curious if it's just the sway bar.

There is one oddity - when it goes to the dealer and they put it on the lift, it appears that the noise is substantially reduced for the drive home. Next day, it's back. Unsure if it's some exotic thing with the strut innards, spring positioning/settling... WHO KNOWS!

If it does not do it in the convertible, perhaps the strut brace helps here. I'm willing to try, but tempted just to trade on a 2013 and pick up MyLink, quad exhaust, etc. Thing is, if the new one makes this noise I will be bumm'n. BUT, then I would be willing to take her to Pedders!

Angrybird 12 10-05-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 5659760)
Noise threads tend to get cluttered. If you have already listened to his MP3 file with the noise, can you confirm that what you heard on the MP3 is the same as your clunk?

Well I can't hear it on my iPod speaker. I don't have my earphones. I was just guessing since he described it as a clunk.

JusticePete 10-05-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackswan (Post 5659763)
No, those are my keys :) I ran the audio through a noise filter, but was unable to get rid of that tink without losing some of the awesome lumber sound. If you aren't hearing it (it's throughout most of the audio) then you may not have enough bass from your computer's speakers. It mostly comes out of my subwoofer on my computer and seems to be in the 100-300hz range. Decent headphones might let you hear it.

Laptop speakers aren't going t cut it. Monday at the office.

blackswan 10-05-2012 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, try this version, filtered a little more. Again, it's mostly in the low frequency. I am going to try to capture it again tomorrow, including putting the recorder on the a-arm and sway bar.

What you're listening to is me driving 30mph over some evenly spaced cracks in a local road.

blackswan 10-05-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 5659816)
Laptop speakers aren't going t cut it. Monday at the office.

Yeah, I just played in on my laptop and you won't hear it all on those. Perhaps load it onto iPod/Phone/mp3player and play in the car. I might do that just to see if I"m close on the sound LOL!

AdamEL 10-06-2012 02:09 AM

Hey Blackswan, for some reason I can't get your .zip file to work on my pc. But without hearing it myself, have you looked into the anti-lock brakes? When the car first takes off, the anti-lock brakes perform a self-test which is heard as a "clunking" sound that comes from under the car. Sometimes you can even feel the brake pedal move very slightly at the same time the clunk happens. It's only supposed to do this once, but I will occasionally hear mine twice. From what I can tell from what you've written, it seems like it's more of a repetitious thing instead of a once or twice kind of thing with yours, but maybe the anti-lock brakes are performing that test multiple times and are malfunctioning. I could be, am probably am, way off base with this, but I figured it's at least worth throwing out there. Maybe have your dealer check that out next time around.

Renegade 10-06-2012 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackswan (Post 5659908)
Yeah, I just played in on my laptop and you won't hear it all on those. Perhaps load it onto iPod/Phone/mp3player and play in the car. I might do that just to see if I"m close on the sound LOL!

That sounds like the best way to go get some beats headphones and listen to it on your ipod :thumbsup:

CWI 10-06-2012 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade (Post 5660508)
That sounds like the best way to go get some beats headphones and listen to it on your ipod :thumbsup:

Why not use the earphones on the laptop? Should sound just as good as Ipod. :iono:

blackswan 10-06-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamEL (Post 5660499)
Hey Blackswan, for some reason I can't get your .zip file to work on my pc. But without hearing it myself, have you looked into the anti-lock brakes? When the car first takes off, the anti-lock brakes perform a self-test which is heard as a "clunking" sound that comes from under the car. Sometimes you can even feel the brake pedal move very slightly at the same time the clunk happens. It's only supposed to do this once, but I will occasionally hear mine twice. From what I can tell from what you've written, it seems like it's more of a repetitious thing instead of a once or twice kind of thing with yours, but maybe the anti-lock brakes are performing that test multiple times and are malfunctioning. I could be, am probably am, way off base with this, but I figured it's at least worth throwing out there. Maybe have your dealer check that out next time around.

Hi, appreciate the tip, it's a good one but not applicable to my situation. I only wish it was just the ABS testing noise I am hearing. It happens all the time over rough/washboard type roads going 20-40 MPH.

Noises are such a bummer to diagnose/describe and/or fix. For instance, I mentioned to Chevy customer service that I can reproduce it easily by going over a rumble strip. They look up "rumble strip" and come up with a TSB about the torque converter and note my records.

The noise has been duplicated by dealer, they know exactly what I'm talking about, yet a proper fix alludes us. They have been trying, I can't imagine what else could be replaced/tightened at this point other than control arms, tie rod and steering rack. I doubt they'll do much more at this point.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.