Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Tire talk (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255023)

MrBowTi3 10-11-2012 06:00 PM

Tire talk
 
I know there is alot of talk about everyone's plans on how they are going to handle they're tire situation seeing how most of us are getting our 1LE's during the colder-cold months and the stock tires are for warmer conditions I was just starting this thread so people like me who try to search around the ZL1 threads have a 1LE thread of our own to talk about they're tire plans and how the tires treat them in the coming months

toehead93 10-11-2012 06:30 PM

??? scratching my head??? but why the need to change tires for winter. Just migrate down to south Florida with the rest of the snow birds.

snickerdoodle 10-11-2012 06:37 PM

I'm gonna be running blizzaks. Expensive, but you can still drive like a hooligan in the cold =]

scubadoo7 10-11-2012 08:29 PM

I hope everyone knows, this is not a "snowtire" issue. Goodyear has stressed these tires can, or will crack or worse if driven in temps 40 degees or lower. This means, i will arrive at the dealer equiped with another set of all season tires, mounted on 19 in wheels (not sure what type yet) just to drive home, and keep on the car at least 6 months out the year. Put my stock stickys on, when the weather is warm. Btw, Goodyear goes on to suggest storing your stickys in a warm envroment...like your basement.

Zorns 10-12-2012 08:40 AM

Will 19" wheels fit with the brakes on the 1LE? Thought I saw in some other posts (not sure where) that there was a problem with 19's clearing the brakes.

MarkSS 10-12-2012 12:43 PM

What about the fact that it is soon to be (or already is) below freezing in Canada. Won't cars sit and be shipped in temps below what has been mentioned here?

x1sniper3x 10-12-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSS (Post 5685652)
What about the fact that it is soon to be (or already is) below freezing in Canada. Won't cars sit and be shipped in temps below what has been mentioned here?

:word: I've thought about this myself. I'm sure they had to take some sort of measure to prevent the ZL1 tires from cracking last winter (at least I hope they did...:yikes:). So I'd have to think that they'd do the same for the 1LE. I doubt GM would look very good sending 1LE's and ZL1's to customers with cracked tires.

x1sniper3x 10-12-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorns (Post 5684802)
Will 19" wheels fit with the brakes on the 1LE? Thought I saw in some other posts (not sure where) that there was a problem with 19's clearing the brakes.

I don't see why there'd be an issue. They're the same brakes as the SS and I'm pretty sure I've seen people on this forum with 19" and even 18" wheels on an SS.

MrBowTi3 10-12-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toehead93 (Post 5682860)
??? scratching my head??? but why the need to change tires for winter. Just migrate down to south Florida with the rest of the snow birds.

:sm0: If only it were so simple.........the roads down there are so much better than here in GA and AL

scubadoo7 10-12-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSS (Post 5685652)
What about the fact that it is soon to be (or already is) below freezing in Canada. Won't cars sit and be shipped in temps below what has been mentioned here?

Another concern is the dealer prep on your car. Will they know not to drive your car in cold temps...ruining the tires.

Mgizzle 10-13-2012 10:30 PM

Scuba, where did you find information about Good Year stating the tires can not be in conditions under 40 degrees? I am planing on garaging my 1LE all winter in Michigan but my garage is not heated. I was going to put it on jack stands but now I might consider taking the tire/rims off and storing them in my basement (mancave).

However, I must admit I am a bit sceptical that GM would allow tires on a car that could crack in 40 deg weather when cars are being built and shipped in Canada during the winter.

DanSS24 10-14-2012 03:42 AM

Man I wish there were more Camaro enthusiasts in Hawaii. The 1LE would be perfect here year round. We just need a race track.

Mgizzle 10-14-2012 10:22 AM

I wish I was in Hawaii, wouldnt need a car at all and would still be happy. However, a life goal of mine, bucket list item, is to go back to Maui and tear up an exotic car uo the vulcano drive..... Aaaaaaah, one day.

scubadoo7 10-14-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgizzle (Post 5690959)
Scuba, where did you find information about Good Year stating the tires can not be in conditions under 40 degrees? I am planing on garaging my 1LE all winter in Michigan but my garage is not heated. I was going to put it on jack stands but now I might consider taking the tire/rims off and storing them in my basement (mancave).

However, I must admit I am a bit sceptical that GM would allow tires on a car that could crack in 40 deg weather when cars are being built and shipped in Canada during the winter.

It's on the Zl1 site.

x1sniper3x 10-14-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgizzle (Post 5690959)
Scuba, where did you find information about Good Year stating the tires can not be in conditions under 40 degrees? I am planing on garaging my 1LE all winter in Michigan but my garage is not heated. I was going to put it on jack stands but now I might consider taking the tire/rims off and storing them in my basement (mancave).

However, I must admit I am a bit sceptical that GM would allow tires on a car that could crack in 40 deg weather when cars are being built and shipped in Canada during the winter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubadoo7 (Post 5692446)
It's on the Zl1 site.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187045

Cooley 11-13-2012 12:51 PM

:bump:

Dueclaws 11-13-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanSS24 (Post 5691660)
Man I wish there were more Camaro enthusiasts in Hawaii. The 1LE would be perfect here year round. We just need a race track.

+1

Are you in Oahu?

LRJet35 11-13-2012 01:24 PM

Wow, I had heard about issues with loss of traction etc with these tires under 40 degrees, and have had high performance summer tires on my cars for years. I've never been aware of any cracking issues. That picture on that bulletin is pretty alarming. My car will most likely (hopefully) be delivered sometime in jan or feb, and it raises questions about the dealership doing their mechanical drive test, etc.

Soulr˙che 11-13-2012 01:48 PM

Hi all ! so any decent tires for a non track use? recommended tires? i'll probably try to ebay them when i first get them. just wondering what a decent replacement might be.

(i am so getting a 1le package. i told her and waited for it... she smiled. )

thanks!

POS Dakota 11-19-2012 06:59 PM

I can't see the tires having a problem if one uses better judgement in the cold.

I'd like to know the truth as to how those tires cracked like that....I'm sure it would go a little something like this:

"I was just pooting along at 45mph in my zl1, because that's what zl1 owners do, and they just all cracked!!! I swear!!!" ...:laugh:


In my eyes if I REALLY can't drive 400 dollar a pop tires because of cold, then they simply arent worth the money...and this is not to forget they sure dont last very long in the summer either, even if you're the human equivalent of veal behind the wheel.

I love the 1le car and I really want to order it soon. But this tire story may ruin it for me and make me order a 2ss and get it right on my own. Chevy should offer an ASR alternative even if it isnt as good on a track.

ST1LE 11-19-2012 08:49 PM

A member here took delivery in Detroit and he reports after driving them in weather between 31 and 37 degrees he has seen no problems so far. Not sure how cold people are trying to push these tires, but seems another vehicle should be chosen is thats the case.

Mgizzle 11-19-2012 11:37 PM

That member was me. I have 750 miles on the car now and again, drove mostly in cold weather without issues. However, my attached garage is in the 40s when it is really cold outside, and i let them warm up a bit before i push the car a little. A week ago I drove in 28F and there were small snow flakes droppin! Lol, i was a bit nervous.

POS Dakota 11-20-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgizzle (Post 5826434)
That member was me. I have 750 miles on the car now and again, drove mostly in cold weather without issues. However, my attached garage is in the 40s when it is really cold outside, and i let them warm up a bit before i push the car a little. A week ago I drove in 28F and there were small snow flakes droppin! Lol, i was a bit nervous.

I'd be nervous too if I saw a picture of tires I have on my car cracked from being 10 degrees warmer...even if I'm not sure I buy it. ha!
I dont blame you.

bpdcop100 11-24-2012 03:37 PM

I have had the 1LE for 19 days, with 1300 miles on it. This morning it was 31 degrees out. As I pulled out of steet onto the main highway the rear tires broke loose under normal acceration. This is my 4th gen 5 camaro all stick shifts. Non had this problem with the P Zero tires. I went to my grandsons saturay class and the car sat for about 1 hour. When I left there I was on an incline and the outside timp was 36. The car spun the tire and would not move from the hill even when the traction control kicked in. I driven on the street with Michelin cups with better cold traction.

right to travel 11-27-2012 05:58 PM

so i think i found the best source out there for tires. good old wally world has the best prices ive seen n the net so far.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.