Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   550hp Camaro has to be coming!!! (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2561)

Aries 01-14-2008 09:09 AM

550hp Camaro has to be coming!!!

Ok, after GM released the ZR1, having 620hp supercharged 6.2L V8. I said to myself, that motor has to be going into the HiPo Camaro in a detuned state. Now I read this and I really think it's gonna happen:
http://jalopnik.com/342341/detroit-a...aks-officially

Same HP as the rumored Camaro, and it's production starts the same as the Camaro. I really hope this motor makes it into the Camaro from the start!!!!

Outrun 01-14-2008 09:15 AM

We call all hope. :)

radz28 01-14-2008 09:33 AM

That is exactly what I thought when I read another article a few days ago. I think that makes the changes of an FI Camaro a pretty good chance. Too bad the blower is the smaller one, but I just like the thought. It'll be easy to make a lot of power with an intake, exhaust, pulley, and tune.

I can't wait!!!

Mr. Wyndham 01-14-2008 02:07 PM

The LeftLane news article that explained some of the FI engines that GM will be putting out DID mention the Camaro.

They said that the ZR1 would get a 600+hp LS9. (true)

They said that the CTS-V would get a 500+hp LS! (true)

And they have the Top-of-the-line Zeta cars (Camaro) getting the LS8, and 475-500hp FI motor. (yet to be seen).

So :iono: "hope" I think, is a good word to use in this situation.

GTAHVIT 01-14-2008 02:19 PM

I'm hoping for the CTS-V LSA. That would be so nice.

Dan 01-14-2008 03:33 PM

Everything I have read says the LSA is Caddy only. If the Camaro gets one it will be the LS8.

GTAHVIT 01-14-2008 04:23 PM

I found this article on LeftLaneNews. It makes a best guess on the LS line up for the future.

They agree it will be the LS8 for the Camaro.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/a-detail...tor-plans.html

I couldn't find it here, hopefully not a repost.

Edit: NO!!! not a repost just a whole entire thread, and a link in the first post here... Sorry gang. I really did search.

LSxcellent 01-14-2008 04:47 PM

Yeah, it wouldn't make sense from a product-structure point of view to use the same engine in the caddy and the camaro... the caddy engine is supposed to be quiet, smooth, and powerful.

The Camaro engine?.. eh, not so much with the quiet and smooth.

My guess is that they'll detune it further and make 450hp and lose some more cost out of it... Which would make good sense.

The LS8 would certainly need to be less expensive and probably a little more tolerant of abuse so maybe it will have a lower rev limit or something to protect the internals.

Of course they _could_ just leave the LS3 alone, tune it up a bit, and make 450hp and call it a day (which is certainly possible).

Anyone know when we might find out more?

~LSx

GTAHVIT 01-14-2008 04:58 PM

I just don't want the caddy to be faster than the Camaro. Childish I know...

2010_5thgen 01-14-2008 05:28 PM

i would be the happiest guy in the world, knowing that right off the bat,i had the option of having the "de-tuned" version of the zr-1. i would take it in a heartbeat.

Aries 01-14-2008 06:22 PM

If they put the LS8 motor in the HiPo Camaro at 475-500hp it wouldn't make sense for the base V8 to be the LS3. The LS3 is rumored to have 430hp so that only makes a 45-70hp difference between the two, hardley worth the extra money.

LSxcellent 01-14-2008 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries (Post 39539)
If they put the LS8 motor in the HiPo Camaro at 475-500hp it wouldn't make sense for the base V8 to be the LS3. The LS3 is rumored to have 430hp so that only makes a 45-70hp difference between the two, hardley worth the extra money.

The LS3 is dead... so its pretty darn sure not coming as the base V8. I'd wager a good donut that the L76 is our base V8.

The LS8 is going to come in the 'Shelby GT500 Fighter' Z28... probably a big money car for sure... but there is that pesky rumour of the 5th gen LS engine waiting in the wings (the DOHC engine listed in the GM documents to the auto workers union). This COULD be our 'regular' high-po V8... but it seems unlikely.

I'll be curious to see what comes of this since the base Camaro engine MIGHT be the Pontiac G8 GXP engine (450hp-475hp sounds about right).

Oh, and the fact that we're all tossing these kinds of HP numbers around?! Bitchin'. :headbang:

~LSx

2010_5thgen 01-14-2008 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries (Post 39539)

what??? from 430 in the ls3 to 550 in the s/c version. that isnt 45-75 hp difference. that looks like a 120 hp difference which definately would be worth it. plus it would only be limited$ to get that puppy close to 600+hp at the wheels.

EllwynX 01-14-2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSxcellent (Post 39546)
The LS3 is dead... so its pretty darn sure not coming as the base V8. I'd wager a good donut that the L76 is our base V8.

Don't you mean the LS2 is dead? Or have I missed something?

IMO any less than 400hp in the base V8 is going to disappoint a lot of people.

Mr. Wyndham 01-14-2008 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllwynX (Post 39563)

I've heard two things that, together, 'encourage' me as to what we'll get as far as engines.

It being stated (not in any documents, but rather, just talking out loud) that the Concept vehicles would be the Hi-Po Camaro.

ALSO remember that they probably aren't building a GT500 fighter to be ready for launch. Okay? It's would still be a Camaro, sure; but as I keep saying - it's not a mainstream Camaro, not one for the masses. So it's relatively safe to assume that when they said "you're looking at the Top-end model", they weren't talking about the GT-500 fighter.

And the second thing is putting an LS2 in the Concept. with 400 hp, EllwynX has a point, anything less than that 400 will be a let-down.

So, take my logic as you will, I guess.:iono:

Splicerguy 01-14-2008 10:02 PM

The CTS-V article also mentioned a new 6 speed automatic with paddle shift is available. It says it's exclusive to the CTS-v, but it seems kind of silly to develop a whole new transmission for such a limited volume production car as the CTS-V. I think that transmission would be right at home in the new Camaro!

Aries 01-14-2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen (Post 39556)
what??? from 430 in the ls3 to 550 in the s/c version. that isnt 45-75 hp difference. that looks like a 120 hp difference which definately would be worth it. plus it would only be limited$ to get that puppy close to 600+hp at the wheels.

The LSA motor in the caddy has 550hp, the LS8 motor they say slated for the Camaro is rumored to have 475-500hp.

willisit 01-15-2008 02:32 AM

Whatever Ford do, GM will combat - so if there's a GT500 mustang, I expect we'll see something similar from the factory.
We're a year from showrooms now - so the engine, whatever it is, must exist by now. The LS3 seems a good bet as the Corvette will have had that exclusively for some time - and the GTO got the LS2 so I can't see why the Camaro wouldn't. Something blown will have to come later on...

Dan 01-15-2008 08:40 AM

The Camaro wont get the LS2 because that engine is history by 2009.

LSxcellent 01-15-2008 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllwynX (Post 39563)
Don't you mean the LS2 is dead? Or have I missed something?

Actually, you are right... the LS2 is dead but the LS3 is still alive. My bad...

I do wonder what else would need to happen to make the L76 make 400hp.

But all in all I think you're right... less than 400hp is going to be a big dissapointment.

~LSx

garfin 01-15-2008 10:30 AM

I don't believe Chevy is interested in allowing Ford to have top dawg bragging rights in the HP race... and so when does the 540 HP GT500KR hit the showrooms?;)

Best regardSS,

Elie

radz28 01-15-2008 11:32 AM

Well, I hope that there is either an SS or Z28 that makes near 550. With the Shelby pretty close, to me, that would make sense. I'm sure within a few years of the 5ths introduction, Shelby's numbers are only going to go up...

MJA03 01-15-2008 11:43 AM

I know everything we read at this point is speculation but I was just happing to read the November issue of Muscle Car Magazine and I came across an article about the new Camaro that seemed pretty interesting. It says,
To learn about the fifth-gen Camaro, we had to swear to secrecy, meaning that we would not reveal our contacts inside GM. Although the info we were given was not very specific, we were able to pass on some interesting fifth-gen information. What our sources inside GM did reveal was that the engine options for the 09 Camaro include two V-6s and a few V-8s. On the V-8 table now is an LS3 engine with L92 cylinder heads. This engine will be installed in the Z28 and produce somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-450 horses. Additionally, there is talk about a supercharged 550hp Z28 engine with Roots-style blower.
Now I would guess that if there were two V-8 options they would go with two different badges Z28 and SS but at least maybe this can give us some insight to where they are headed with the engine options.

MTron 01-15-2008 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 39576)

And the second thing is putting an LS2 in the Concept. with 400 hp, EllwynX has a point, anything less than that 400 will be a let-down.

So, take my logic as you will, I guess.:iono:

totally agree with you there dragon, by slapping the 400 horse ls2 into the concept, they have to at least have a 400+ engine option when this car comes out, not necessarily a FI one, but at least 400 hp. IMO i would rather have a NA engine then a FI engine, yea the extra power is great, but you miss out on that wonderful noise of a NA engine with a CAI when you add a supercharger to it, sure the whine is nice and all, but i want my engine to sound like it will bite ur head off of you stand too close when i rev it

radz28 01-15-2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTron (Post 39742)
totally agree with you there dragon, by slapping the 400 horse ls2 into the concept, they have to at least have a 400+ engine option when this car comes out, not necessarily a FI one, but at least 400 hp. IMO i would rather have a NA engine then a FI engine, yea the extra power is great, but you miss out on that wonderful noise of a NA engine with a CAI when you add a supercharger to it, sure the whine is nice and all, but i want my engine to sound like it will bite ur head off of you stand too close when i rev it

Although I agree, I don't expect many cars to hear anything except the exhaust, as their car is passed.:burnrubber: