Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Best Way To Dry The Car (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25706)

2SSONLY 06-04-2009 12:16 AM

Best Way To Dry The Car
 
Thanks to Camaro5 members who were recommending Zaino, I surfed their website.

They have the coolest suggestion for drying the car after washing. A Toro 210 HP Leaf Blower! Dries the car in 5 minutes without having to touch a towel or chamois to the paint.

Priced one tonight. Only $50. That's the way I'm going. Less odds of swirl marks IMO. I'll blow the drying area free of dust before I get started on the car.

Wholly cow, I'm actually gonna buy a hair dryer for the Camaro! :sm0:

hb-rocks 06-04-2009 12:46 AM

I've heard that "theory" many moons ago when I was hangin out with the Zaino Crowd back in '02
Personally, a leaf blower just ain't right!

I've grown accustomed to really liking the "absorber" for drying and of course 100% cotton towels.
I'm not saying my way is the "best" way.....it's just how I get thing's done.

karr1008 06-04-2009 12:53 AM

Just be careful when using "leaf blowers" on your brand new car paint.
I did it once on my previous car and ended up sand blasting thus scratching the surface with tiny particles that picked up from the garage. The best method would be the traditional chamois without rubbing too hard. I am sure others will chime in better ways to safely dry a car.

hb-rocks 06-04-2009 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karr1008 (Post 550278)
Just be careful when using "leaf blowers" on your brand new car paint.
I did it once on my previous car and ended up sand blasting thus scratching the surface with tiny particles that picked up from the garage. The best method would be the traditional chamois without rubbing too hard. I am sure others will chime in better ways to safely dry a car.

EXACTLY....!
too many factors where things could go terribly wrong with some leaf blower, the cord dragging around, some 40 mph leaf-blower wind blowing crap everywhere....
not to mention all the strange looks the neighbors are giving you!

Most that can go wrong when you wipe down a car with an absorber or towel/chamois is you happen to drop the dam thing......oops....time to grab another one and keep going!

MRK III Z28 06-04-2009 01:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I would recommend some 100% cotton towels or a microfiber drying towel such as the Cobra Guzzler HD.

http://autogeek.net/cobra-guzzler-hd-towel.html

2SSJIM 06-04-2009 05:00 AM

Sham-Wow Towels!

Nexus6 06-04-2009 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hb-rocks (Post 550268)
I've heard that "theory" many moons ago when I was hangin out with the Zaino Crowd back in '02
Personally, a leaf blower just ain't right!

I've grown accustomed to really liking the "absorber" for drying and of course 100% cotton towels.
I'm not saying my way is the "best" way.....it's just how I get thing's done.

Absorber FTW :thumbsup:

CamaroHutch 06-04-2009 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSJIM (Post 550432)
Sham-Wow Towels!

SHAM-WOW Towels while wearing a SNUGGIE!!

Shifty 6 06-04-2009 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSJIM (Post 550432)
Sham-Wow Towels!

I heard those things are made in Germany. You know the Germans always make good stuff.

Gib 06-04-2009 08:32 AM

Blow Dry
 
I have been useing the Toro blow dry method for years...Works great! I then use a compressed air gun and small cotton hand towel to work around the emblems and in the crevices. Just be extra careful when blowing off the roof, hood and trunk. It is easy hit the car when holding the blower up high and/or over your head. A small step stool comes in handy also.

tjbusa 06-04-2009 08:46 AM

I've used my craftsman 200mph gas blower for years. I know of no better way to get the hidden droplets out and then a small detail cloth to get the micro droplets. Thanks for posting, it works....

GOLDDOG 06-04-2009 09:00 AM

This is the only way to go http://www.nakidparts.com/4th.html

Watch the video!!

Moose 06-04-2009 09:04 AM

I've NEVER used a leaf blower.

When I'm finishing washing, I;

1. Remove the nozzle and let the water pour from the hose to rinse - water "cascades" away, leaving less drying.

2. Get car in garage asap.

Use (1) 'Fieldcrest' "CHARISMA', white, 100% cotton towel, opened up, and gently pull across to remove excess water.

Use (1) (same as above) to remove any remaining wter.

Use a good quality bath towel to dry door jambs, trunk/hatch area, and under hood, followed by drying under rear/front bumpers, and finally below door jambs.

3. Use 'Rigid' shop vac to remove water from inside of mirrors, around side marker lights, and from between any body gaps, being very careful NOT to allow hose to touch paint surface.

4. Clean windows, apply tire dressing, etc., ending with a shot of Zaino Z-6.

2SSONLY 06-04-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose (Post 550744)
I've NEVER used a leaf blower.

When I'm finishing washing, I;

1. Remove the nozzle and let the water pour from the hose to rinse - water "cascades" away, leaving less drying.

2. Get car in garage asap.

Use (1) 'Fieldcrest' "CHARISMA', white, 100% cotton towel, opened up, and gently pull across to remove excess water.

Use (1) (same as above) to remove any remaining wter.

Use a good quality bath towel to dry door jambs, trunk/hatch area, and under hood, followed by drying under rear/front bumpers, and finally below door jambs.

3. Use 'Rigid' shop vac to remove water from inside of mirrors, around side marker lights, and from between any body gaps, being very careful NOT to allow hose to touch paint surface.

4. Clean windows, apply tire dressing, etc., ending with a shot of Zaino Z-6.

As a firm believer in a back up system I bought the towels as recommended on the Zaino site. I also bought the toro leaf blower. Didn't use the leaf blower today, used the towels. All I can say about the towels is you need a lot of them. I bought two good sized bath towels and in the end, still needed to use the chamois. They were excellent for the detail though.

Looking foward to trying the leaf blower. I got a two speed so can control how much is blowing around. Hosing down the driveway prior to the wash will help control what debris could blow around. I do like the idea of being able to blow the excess water from around the lights, mirrors, grill, etc.

Glad to hear that some have used the method and agree with it. I expect I'll need to use a combination. Our water is VERY hard and spotting is really tough to prevent.

Did a search on the web for Zaino. Found an interesting link to someone who did a side by side comparison between Zaino and Meguiers.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.