Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Volt will be Jolt (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25749)

AJC 06-04-2009 10:11 AM

Volt will be Jolt

GM screws up another money maker just like they did back in 2002 when they destroyed the EV-1. I am sooo disappointed in GM I think I will sell my 2009 CTS. GM continues to F**& up and to think I gave GM a chance by purchasing the CTS and going American. GM sold out to the oil companies in 2002 when they destroyed the EV-1 which could have saved GM. This country is in bad shape and this administration is not helping. America is screwing Americans.

http://priuschat.com/news/toyota-co-...m-renamed-jolt

CamaroHutch 06-04-2009 10:12 AM

EV-1 was so not a money maker....

AJC 06-04-2009 10:18 AM

It was the right technology move that could of saved GM if they were not morons and sell the rights to the batteries to the oil companies.

radz28 06-04-2009 10:23 AM

Let's be civil here...

FenwickHockey65 06-04-2009 10:29 AM

GM spent billions just maintaining EV1s. The project was a good step towards developing the technology, but cost too much to implement.

And whatever. Please sell your CTS to someone who will actually appreciate it and give it a good home.

Buying a prius doesn't do any good for America. You're screwing over Americans yourself.

Hesh 06-04-2009 10:54 AM

The technology was so expensive for the EV-1 it was not a viable option for a full production car. However it was a starting place for GM to get ideas for the future. Id also like to point out how wrong you are about who killed the EV-1 program. There are multiple people who were given the blame for the death of the EV-1. The oil companies do not own the rights to the batteries. The little company that made them still owns the rights to them and now makes a much better battery. Gm had its hands tied by CARB. they demnaded 10% of all cars in California be 0 emissions. Then looked at hydrogen cells as a better idea then an electric car. The head of CARB at that time, Alan Lloyd was also working for a company that was doing major research on hydrogen fuel cells. So not only did he help kill off the EV-1 he helped line his own pockets further by suggesting hydrogen fuel cells. If you want to bash GM at least know to get your story straight. Gm did not sell out to anyone but consumer demand. The demand on the EV-1 or electric cars was so low at that time and the cost so high they would be in worse shape now. They sold what we the consumers demanded plain and simple. So please do sell off all of your american cars and dont buy anything that is made by and american automaker. If your ignorace fo the truth is this blinding then you deserve the pile of crap that you do buy.

UCF w00t 06-04-2009 10:58 AM

Do you have a link that actually works at a real news source?

Jolt is the name of the car in transformers...

We really need a "MORON" smiley.

AJC 06-04-2009 11:07 AM

Here's the link moron

AJC 06-04-2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hesh (Post 551130)
The technology was so expensive for the EV-1 it was not a viable option for a full production car. However it was a starting place for GM to get ideas for the future. Id also like to point out how wrong you are about who killed the EV-1 program. There are multiple people who were given the blame for the death of the EV-1. The oil companies do not own the rights to the batteries. The little company that made them still owns the rights to them and now makes a much better battery. Gm had its hands tied by CARB. they demnaded 10% of all cars in California be 0 emissions. Then looked at hydrogen cells as a better idea then an electric car. The head of CARB at that time, Alan Lloyd was also working for a company that was doing major research on hydrogen fuel cells. So not only did he help kill off the EV-1 he helped line his own pockets further by suggesting hydrogen fuel cells. If you want to bash GM at least know to get your story straight. Gm did not sell out to anyone but consumer demand. The demand on the EV-1 or electric cars was so low at that time and the cost so high they would be in worse shape now. They sold what we the consumers demanded plain and simple. So please do sell off all of your american cars and dont buy anything that is made by and american automaker. If your ignorace fo the truth is this blinding then you deserve the pile of crap that you do buy.

Rent the move "Who killed the electric car"

moto-camaro 06-04-2009 11:28 AM

so you're upset about this article that totes toyota as getting a piece of the volt? Do a bit of research before you scream bloody murder.

ASSUMING THIS ARTICLE IS VALID:
this quote below sums it up, as much as i loved the idea of GM pioneering a breakthrough car like this, right now they can't afford to lose a ton of money on a car like this.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Lutz
But, as the government auto task force was adding up the numbers, it quickly became obvious that the Volt was going to be a really expensive car for what we were going to be able to offer. As soon as we realized how much the Volt was going to cost and that we would not be able to offer an immediate $8,000 'Friends and Family' discount on the car, we knew the Volt would never make it out the door."

but i've gotta call this article out :thumbdown:, if you try a google search for "Toyota Jolt" (in quotes) there's less than a page of results, and there isn't a single reputable article that is returned (reputable=quotable in a report, i'm not bashing that forum. no different as how i wouldn't quote the Camaro5 main page). Something like this, a GM-Toyota partnership, would be big news and you'd definitely get more than 10 search results. Google News doesn't even have any articles.

and i've watched that documentary, it's a VERY interesting watch, but fairly biased. Search through Bob Lutz interviews on the EV-1, it was costing GM roughly 100,000+ to produce a EV-1, and if memory serves me right, they were leasing them for roughly 350 a month. math--> 100,000/350=285
that's 285 months. *rent your EV-1 today, 350/month for 24 years!*
and even if my memory is inflating by a few thousand, you're still looking at a ridiculously long/expensive lease. There comes a point when the people working in the accounting apartment say "okay, this is ridiculous, stop that now".

If you can find me an article on this Toyota Jolt from a legit source, then i'll give it some credibility. as of right now, i call fake.

renderinfo 06-04-2009 11:37 AM

Assuming this article is valid?!? Is everybody nuts??

This article is bogus! Just look at the date of the article!!! (Talk about a delayed April fools joke...)

This guy is obviously just venting, but the real "funny" is that a bogus article might be what just sent him over the edge...

Come on people!!! LOL :laughabove::laughabove:

moto-camaro 06-04-2009 11:39 AM

i figured out it was bogus as soon as i tried to google anything about the car

i know it's not valid.

FenwickHockey65 06-04-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJC (Post 551183)

OH MY GOD!

I THINK CAMARO5 HAS ITS OWN "OWNED" THREAD!

:laugh::laugh::laugh: :sm0: :sm0: :sm0:

Dude, GM doesn't need toyota to build the Volt with them. We've got better technology than any pile of junk toyota can pull out of its toilet of a tech department.

You just got pranked by one hell of a far-fetched April Fool's Joke.

This is hilarious. Needs to be stickied and plastered on the front page of the site.

MrIcky 06-04-2009 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJC (Post 550990)
GM screws up another money maker just like they did back in 2002 when they destroyed the EV-1. I am sooo disappointed in GM I think I will sell my 2009 CTS. GM continues to F**& up and to think I gave GM a chance by purchasing the CTS and going American. GM sold out to the oil companies in 2002 when they destroyed the EV-1 which could have saved GM. This country is in bad shape and this administration is not helping. America is screwing Americans.

I don't get your whole argument. What's your issue with the CTS? This is like saying "I HATE what GE is doing by putting Conan O'Brien on the Tonight Show so I'm selling all my lightbulbs and never watching NBC again!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJC (Post 551183)
Here's the link moron

I believe that would be: "Here's the link, moron". Your first link didn't work for me either and I play a rocket scientist on TV. 2 pages worth of pictures of Priuses and I never got to your point. I had a tough time keeping the ol' gag reflex in check.