Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Traded my 2013 SS for the 1LE. My comparison. (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263097)

strokerls1 11-28-2012 10:30 AM

Traded my 2013 SS for the 1LE. My comparison.
 
So I ordered the 1le about 2 months ago and the car finally made it in last week. I had a 2013 SS m6 with dual mode since July of this year. I was interested to see how the two compare back to back. I must say the 1le is what the SS should have been. After driving around for awhile, the differences are very noticeably between the two. The SS had a good amount of body roll and felt more like a "touring" car, where as the 1le feels very tight and predicable. Performance is close between the two. I had a CAI kit on the SS and was able to muster a 12.8 at 111 in the 1/4. I took the CAI kit off before the trade and installed it on the 1le. This car feels a tad quicker than the SS did. The gearing and transmission help that, but I also think the un-sprung weight from the lighter wheels make most the difference over the SS. The biggest difference for me though has to be the clutch. I did not read anywhere, where the clutch is different than the SS. They feel completely different to me. The SS actually had a longer pedal travel and more stiff. The clutch in the 1le grabs closer to the floor and the pedal is soft. I get a little chatter too. Has anyone heard that the clutch or hydraulics are any different? All in all, I love the 1le. It is a blast to drive and turns heads everywhere. It is definitely a step in the right direction for Chevy. :chevy:

LikaRokBowTie 11-28-2012 11:10 AM

Cool,bring it over to Shanes and I'll buy lunch so I can take a look at your ride as I have not seen one yet,what color did you get?PM me if your cool with that and we'll set a time:thumbsup:

strokerls1 11-28-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikaRokBowTie (Post 5855959)
Cool,bring it over to Shanes and I'll buy lunch so I can take a look at your ride as I have not seen one yet,what color did you get?PM me if your cool with that and we'll set a time:thumbsup:

Its white...you buy lunch, ill let you drive! Love me some Shanes! :thumbsup:

LikaRokBowTie 11-28-2012 12:32 PM

PM sent:thumbsup:

v6sonoma 11-28-2012 01:44 PM

To the best of my knowledge the clutch should be the same.

bpdcop100 11-28-2012 02:28 PM

This is my 4th gen 5 camaro. The clutch feels the same to me. The hill brake thing takes some time to get use to. Please let me know if you have the same trouble I am having with te 1LE and lack of tire grip when cold. And post the 1/4 mile times when you have them. I agree the car is much quicker in acceleration do to the gearing.

strokerls1 11-28-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpdcop100 (Post 5856753)
This is my 4th gen 5 camaro. The clutch feels the same to me. The hill brake thing takes some time to get use to. Please let me know if you have the same trouble I am having with te 1LE and lack of tire grip when cold. And post the 1/4 mile times when you have them. I agree the car is much quicker in acceleration do to the gearing.

Yes I have no grip until the tires are warmed up. It can get a little sketchy when they are cold. My 13 had the hill assist start so I am use to that but the clutch feels way different and very soft. Im going to beat on it a little when I get home and see if that helps. How many miles did your car have when you took delivery? I wont have any times until spring. I dont think any tracks are open.

Zorns 11-29-2012 06:36 AM

LikaRokBowtie....If you drive Strokerls1's car I'd like to hear your review of the 1LE!

bpdcop100 12-07-2012 01:17 PM

I had 11 miles on it when I picked it up election night and now have 1800 miles on it. The tire issue is onlt getting worse. I am in Maryland and the mornings are getting closer to 32 degrees. I am surprised there is not more talk about the lack of grip. I might be one of the few who use this car every day.

LikaRokBowTie 12-07-2012 02:30 PM

Are you a LEO?

toehead93 12-07-2012 03:53 PM

I think the clutch is the same but I know for sure the shifter is different. Is that what you are feeling?

MarkSS 12-07-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpdcop100 (Post 5889856)
I had 11 miles on it when I picked it up election night and now have 1800 miles on it. The tire issue is onlt getting worse. I am in Maryland and the mornings are getting closer to 32 degrees. I am surprised there is not more talk about the lack of grip. I might be one of the few who use this car every day.

This issue has been discussed several places within the 1LE forum. There is a TSB by Goodyear to avoid driving on them at temperatures under 40 degrees. Lack of grip, but also cracking of the tread. I don't think the dealers have been told about this, but they should talk about it to everyone who gets a 1LE. It also says not to store the tires below 20.

On the plus side, you can do massive powerslides....

Ir0nM4n 12-07-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strokerls1 (Post 5856820)
Yes I have no grip until the tires are warmed up. It can get a little sketchy when they are cold. My 13 had the hill assist start so I am use to that but the clutch feels way different and very soft. Im going to beat on it a little when I get home and see if that helps. How many miles did your car have when you took delivery? I wont have any times until spring. I dont think any tracks are open.

I am pretty sure on the web site it states they are summer tires. You will have to purchase a second set of tires if driving in cold weather. Or I guess you could just hang on. :iono:

Monte Mac 12-07-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSS (Post 5890358)
This issue has been discussed several places within the 1LE forum. There is a TSB by Goodyear to avoid driving on them at temperatures under 40 degrees. Lack of grip, but also cracking of the tread. I don't think the dealers have been told about this, but they should talk about it to everyone who gets a 1LE. It also says not to store the tires below 20.

On the plus side, you can do massive powerslides....

THIS! :word:

As far as I know the clutch should be the same. Almost sounds like you may have some air in the line to me???

Bad@ssCamaro 12-07-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpdcop100 (Post 5889856)
I had 11 miles on it when I picked it up election night and now have 1800 miles on it. The tire issue is onlt getting worse. I am in Maryland and the mornings are getting closer to 32 degrees. I am surprised there is not more talk about the lack of grip. I might be one of the few who use this car every day.

Those tires are summer tires, well documented in the ZL1 forums(you'd have to go back to March and April of this year), since they are the same tires, that the grip in colder weather is very poor. If you're going to use it as a DD, it would be in your best interest to put on all-season or winter tires on. And mount them on some used or aftermarket wheels.

scubadoo7 12-07-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpdcop100 (Post 5889856)
I had 11 miles on it when I picked it up election night and now have 1800 miles on it. The tire issue is onlt getting worse. I am in Maryland and the mornings are getting closer to 32 degrees. I am surprised there is not more talk about the lack of grip. I might be one of the few who use this car every day.

Yeah, i read about this earlier on from the ZL1 guys. My car arrives in a day or two, and i am prepared with a set of SS rims and Pirelli p zero's i bought from another Camaro5 member. This way, i can simply unbolt wheels when the seasons change. Kinda of like my snow tires, but just for colder weather, to preserve the "sticky's". Btw, i'm in N.Va, what part of Maryland are you from? Another 1LE owner lives in Loudon county.:thumbsup:

bpdcop100 12-11-2012 09:40 AM

Retired BCPD.

scubadoo7 12-11-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpdcop100 (Post 5902917)
Retired BCPD.

:thumbsup::respekt:

Zid 04-25-2013 03:25 PM

I recently bought a 1LE and noticed the same clutch issues that were spoken of earlier. Did you happen to find an explanation/resolution for the issue?

mcsoul 04-25-2013 05:31 PM

In reading I've come upon the "Clutch Fluid reservoir" as a good cheap early mod
for the 1le. It is supposed to help with the chatter, not sure about the early engagement.

Dropspeed 04-25-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcsoul (Post 6469497)
In reading I've come upon the "Clutch Fluid reservoir" as a good cheap early mod
for the 1le. It is supposed to help with the chatter, not sure about the early engagement.

There is no direct correlation between Clutch Chatter or Early Engagement and a clutch fluid reservoir...The issues are unrelated.

Here is a good read.... http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.