Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Blower motor replacement (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265265)

PieNsky 12-11-2012 12:16 PM

Blower motor replacement

4 Attachment(s)
The blower motor is cast in and will have to be cut out. Don't freak, it was made to be cut out and has a groove to follow. Remember you have a knife in there around wires. This is easier to do with the passenger door open.
1. Open the glove box door. Release the door tensioner on the lower right corner of the door by pulling down on the cord, sliding it down and out. Push in on the sides of the door to free the door to drop down. It has an open hinge so that you may lift it out.
2. There are two screws in each corner that will be exposed when you remove the door. One holds the duct, the other will allow you to manipulate the opening. Remove the four screws and the duct.
3. Remove the screws that hold the center cover of the blower and unplug the motor.
4. There is a circular groove that you will follow with your cut. The plastic is thin so you will not need to push the knife in much. The second photo has a silver box cutter with the razor blade inserted into the groove to cut . The box cutter also prevents too deep a cut.
5. If needed, clean up your flashing from the cut, otherwise slide in your new blower and align it with the screw openings already cast in and not used. I used #8 by 3/4" screws to hold it in.
The last photo is the new blower being slid in. Notice the precast screw opening to align the one on the blower.

PieNsky 12-11-2012 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here is the missing photo of the removal of the old blower motor and one screw hole in the lower corner that had a screw . The 4th of three screws , held up the duct that has to be removed in front of the blower.

SGNL99 12-14-2012 08:16 AM

Thank you for this DIY! My motor is just starting to "chirp" so I'll be looking at this replacement soon.

ITGuy11 12-14-2012 02:06 PM

Good write up, do you have a part number for the replacement blower?

PieNsky 12-14-2012 05:51 PM

Rockauto.com is where I ordered it. It started not moving air well on low speed, and a clicking noise sorta. Went out about two months later.

montreal2010yellow 12-14-2012 07:53 PM

I had mine changed by my dealer 2 months ago. 300.00$ Tax (15%) in. Canadian $$$.
Don't the cost of the motor though, but it was inclided.

PieNsky 12-14-2012 08:47 PM

$70.79 + shipping American at rockauto
By far the worst part is cutting it out. It is stiff, but you should be able to do all in an hour.
Dealer wanted around 125 plus at least one hour service, shop fees, tax. So about $250 I guess.

mkschmidtjr 12-21-2012 07:55 AM

@PieNsky thanks for the DIY info.

..also for everyone on the thread I had my replaced last weekend and it was covered under my basic 3 year / 36k miles warranty so the dealer should cover it until then. I noticed my was chirping really bad when I would turn off the blower you could hear it when it was spinning down. Best wishes to all.

Green2SS/RS 12-21-2012 12:28 PM

My blower is "chirping" also. Dose any one know what is causing it to do that? I hope its not water getting in.

CamaroJim56 12-22-2012 07:05 PM

Okay, somewhat related question... dealer jut replaced mine, and now the glove box door opens REAL easy, is there a tensioner that they forgot to connect? Where is it located?

thanks.

camarowa 12-22-2012 07:11 PM

Mine has been replaced under warrant twice already and the third one started acting up a few weeks ago. Just shitty quality!

PieNsky 12-23-2012 10:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Whoops! This photo is upside down. I uploaded it from my phone.
@CamaroJim56, yes there is there is a tensionor and I didn't put that in the procedure. With the door open, in the lower right corner, you will see a horizontal clip. It is attached to a retractable cord. Pull the cord out and place the the clip in the lower right corner of the door.

CamaroJim56 12-23-2012 02:02 PM

PieNsky,

Thanks! You are the best, found it, think the clip is broken, gotta look at it again.

Still under warranty so no issues other than the hassle.

Appreciate your help.

Happy Holidays.

Jim

PieNsky 12-23-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green2SS/RS (Post 5942827)
My blower is "chirping" also. Dose any one know what is causing it to do that? I hope its not water getting in.

That's is what mine was doing a couple of months before it went out. You could only hear it on low, and it didn't move much air anymore on low. Had to keep it on the higher setting and then they went out one night. Started back up after a few minutes, just kept going on and off.
Once that it has been cut out, it will be a breeze to replace. It is tiring cutting it out.
As to the cause, I think that the cabin filter needs to be changed more often and it appears as some of the air is returned and used to cool the motor.

CamaroJim56 12-23-2012 08:07 PM

PieNsky,

Got it attached, you saved me a trip to the dealer.

Thanks a ton.

And Merry Christmas!

Jim

Green2SS/RS 12-23-2012 08:20 PM

Good info PieNsky. Thanks for the reply and I think I'll have it fixed under waranty so I don't have to cut it out, then if it happens again I can do the job easier.

PieNsky 12-23-2012 11:41 PM

I'm glad that I could be of any help at all. And to all, a good night...Merry Christmas!!!

PieNsky 11-10-2013 01:03 AM

Taking it back to the top.
With winter coming upon us, if anyone has a chirp in the blower motor, it is going out and you will need to replace it soon.

TooCool5 11-12-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PieNsky (Post 7172949)
Taking it back to the top.
With winter coming upon us, if anyone has a chirp in the blower motor, it is going out and you will need to replace it soon.

What will these engineers think of next, a blower motor molded in.

Must be cost savings? 3 screws saved and labor?

DARK AGE 53 11-12-2013 07:34 PM

PieNsky, thanks for the write up....no problems as of yet but I'll bookmark this thread just in case.

rcktftbl72 02-13-2014 11:39 PM

Can someone take (and post) a picture of the motor after it has been replaced with this DIY? The last picture still looks like an "in progress" one.

Thanks!