Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Garage / Tools Discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Is this a good starter tool set? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267302)

b1gr3dmachin3 12-23-2012 04:49 PM

Is this a good starter tool set?

1 Attachment(s)
Thread title says it all, I literally have no tools at the moment and saw this online. It's a craftsman 255 piece set and on sale from sears for 150$ online. Basically just want to make sure this kit has the majority of tools I'll need for most DIY mods. Thanks!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00935255000P

Ocikat 12-23-2012 05:04 PM

it's a decent beginning though there are a lot of things in these kit's you will never use, that particular tool kit doesn't really allow much for additional tool storage as your tool collection grows though

b1gr3dmachin3 12-23-2012 05:08 PM

Yeah, I'm not really concerned about the case because as my collection grows I will buy more storage. My main concern is the actual tools themselves and if this is an adequate starter set which will allow me to work on my car.

b1gr3dmachin3 12-23-2012 05:42 PM

Just looking at the set, I think the majority of the sizes are standard and my car is metric so I would actually need a tool set with all metric sizes. Am I correct?

midwest mcnasty 12-23-2012 06:20 PM

for the price and what you are getting, you cant go wrong. good start, and keep buying craftsman in the future as well.

b1gr3dmachin3 12-23-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwest mcnasty (Post 5950420)
for the price and what you are getting, you cant go wrong. good start, and keep buying craftsman in the future as well.

That's my thinking as well, thanks for your input

SPCBA 12-23-2012 06:34 PM

Add a torque wrench and get a pipe to use as a breaker bar and you got a nice colllection.

FYI craftsmen is made in China...but the guarantee is great.

b1gr3dmachin3 12-23-2012 06:47 PM

Yeah, I heard other brands like Snap On is better quality, but as long as you get the lifetime guarantee with craftsman then I guess it doesn't really matter considering the price difference. My buddy has all craftsman tools and the quality seems good enough for what I'm looking for anyway.

SPCBA 12-23-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1gr3dmachin3 (Post 5950500)
Yeah, I heard other brands like Snap On is better quality, but as long as you get the lifetime guarantee with craftsman then I guess it doesn't really matter considering the price difference. My buddy has all craftsman tools and the quality seems good enough for what I'm looking for anyway.

I got nothing but crafstmen wrenches and screwdrivers. They work that's all that matters. Most of them are hand me downs and are older than I am:thumbsup:

danielblack60 12-23-2012 10:06 PM

I bought that set when I started turning wrenches. Heck of a starter set. And when you buy a box, those red drawers pull out and you can sit them in the drawers of your new box, it keeps things organized really well!

b1gr3dmachin3 12-24-2012 12:55 AM

Thanks for all the opinions guys, definitely going to get this. Thank you all :)

IPT 12-24-2012 04:03 PM

I got the set for myself on Black Friday. It's a nice set. I had a hodge podge of stuff already but this is nice to have. It's all in one place and fills many gaps I had before. Like noted, I did also buy a Torque wrench to compliment the set, oh, and an Impact Wrench :). I figured this was a great base to build off and for $150 just couldn't see how I could go wrong.

clg_98ta 02-07-2013 01:21 PM

You'll probably want to add a few screwdrivers as well :)

Lil' Nasty 02-12-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1gr3dmachin3 (Post 5950299)
Just looking at the set, I think the majority of the sizes are standard and my car is metric so I would actually need a tool set with all metric sizes. Am I correct?

i got this for christmas, its a great kit, because it has if not all the tools you'll need from adding a ported throttle body to changing your oil. You shouldnt have to buy anything else besides a breaker bar and torque wrench. metric wrenches come with the kit :)

mulletman 02-13-2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPCBA (Post 5950464)
Add a torque wrench and get a pipe to use as a breaker bar and you got a nice colllection.

FYI Craftsmen is made in China...but the guarantee is great.

SOME of Craftsman is made in China. This tool set is still USA. The Chinese tools should be called Crapsman.

MikeOD 03-08-2013 10:42 AM

If you want to do any suspension work on these cars, it's worth getting larger sockets and wrenches than those sets have (things like 24mm deep and whatnot). I'd get a good breaker bar and pry bar set to go with it. After that, look into External torx sets, and regular torx sets as well...that and a few torque wrenches and you can do 90% of work to your car yourself.

1hotchevy 03-15-2013 01:28 PM

With craftsman tools you need the warranty as you will be using it all the time, ive broken a few ratchets had a few wrenches that spread as u tighten a bolt head and slip off the bolt had sockets crack, and other items that failed. if your going to buy tools even just for occaional use why not buy something that wont fail and you can even pass along to your kids or grandkids?, it sux now too as they just give you a "rebuild" kit! the screwdriver tips are abit soft as well , there are some things it wont matter but for the most part i dont buy them unless there is no choice.

biggerisbetter 03-15-2013 03:18 PM

dont let them scare you away op. this tool set will work perfect for you. add a set of screwdrivers, pliers, torque wrench, breaker bar, and pry bars and you will be set for most the things you will do. other things you need like that 24mm deep well socket you buy when you need it and you will get quite the collection going. also you may look into a set of gear wrenches as they are awesome in tight places.:thumbsup:

DR TOOLS 03-15-2013 09:53 PM

Craftsman "hand tools" are owned by Danaher Corp. Danaher also owns Matco tools. The hand tools are made in the same plant with the same dies, just different metallurgy. Not bad as a starter set for the $$..

tc Bosnian 04-03-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1gr3dmachin3 (Post 5950500)

i have some tools that are snap on and mac. but mainly my tools are craftsman and i never have issues. yeah time to time they break but thats why theres a lifetime warranty. its a nice start you got there, just dont get addicted to it. i worked in a shop 7 years ago and to this day i still buy tools. probably half of them ill never use but i cant help myself. i need to call tool addict help line lol

toehead93 06-07-2013 04:21 PM

I got neRly that same kit 12 years ago nd it hs been great. It looks like a few things have changed but it is a good starter kit, then you can add specific tools as ou need them.