Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Stability control issue (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267680)

iCamaro 12-26-2012 05:43 PM

Stability control issue
 
I have a 2012 Camaro 1LT. Because I got the car to do mostly cosmetic mods I have only done a few performance. Cold air induction, TB, and MRT 2.0. The CAI and TB where done last week. A few days ago the tempature was forecast to feel like 2 and snow. So I put the car in my garage and didn't drive it for three days. Today I turn it on and get the check engine light with stability control message in window. The car is shaking and idling wrong. I pull the car out and let it warm up.

Quickly I hit the C5 and start doing searches. This leads me to check my MAF connection, battery connection, and TB connection since these are areas I have recently touched. Everything looks fine.

Now the car is warm I turn it off left it sit a minute and turn it back on. No service stability or check engine light. I sit in the car for a few minutes then I feel the car shake again like a rough idle. 5-6 seconds later it stops no error codes flashing or anything. I take off down the road runs fine???

I called the dealership anyway and will have it checked out Friday morning.


:(

Scott@Bjorn3D 12-26-2012 06:15 PM

Loose plug wire.

GaBoy25 12-26-2012 06:33 PM

Yep........:drinking:

iCamaro 12-26-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D (Post 5958748)
Loose plug wire.

Yeah, but what plug? How do narrow it down?

Chevrolet Customer Svc 12-27-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris81106 (Post 5958669)
I have a 2012 Camaro 1LT. Because I got the car to do mostly cosmetic mods I have only done a few performance. Cold air induction, TB, and MRT 2.0. The CAI and TB where done last week. A few days ago the tempature was forecast to feel like 2 and snow. So I put the car in my garage and didn't drive it for three days. Today I turn it on and get the check engine light with stability control message in window. The car is shaking and idling wrong. I pull the car out and let it warm up.

Quickly I hit the C5 and start doing searches. This leads me to check my MAF connection, battery connection, and TB connection since these are areas I have recently touched. Everything looks fine.

Now the car is warm I turn it off left it sit a minute and turn it back on. No service stability or check engine light. I sit in the car for a few minutes then I feel the car shake again like a rough idle. 5-6 seconds later it stops no error codes flashing or anything. I take off down the road runs fine???

I called the dealership anyway and will have it checked out Friday morning.


:(


We apologize for the frustrations you are currently experiencing with your Camaro. Please let us know how the service appointment goes this Friday.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service

iCamaro 12-28-2012 09:13 AM

Dealership said I had a miss fire on 5. There is a bulletin for my issue at start up. It could be coolent getting in the the chamber. If it happens again, I have to come back and they will keep the car and put dye in the radiator wait a few days and check to see if that is where it's going... If that's the case I have to get a new engine! :confused0068:

I do not want that to happen... If it doesn't happen again it could have just been some bad gas?


So I basically got a "take two of these and call me in the morning".


On the flip side. This has been the best dealership and place I have ever purchased a car. They have take great care of me before and after the sale.

Everett Chevrolet in Springdale, Arkansas!

Kylegrantham 12-31-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris81106 (Post 5964469)
Dealership said I had a miss fire on 5. There is a bulletin for my issue at start up. It could be coolent getting in the the chamber. If it happens again, I have to come back and they will keep the car and put dye in the radiator wait a few days and check to see if that is where it's going... If that's the case I have to get a new engine! :confused0068:

I do not want that to happen... If it doesn't happen again it could have just been some bad gas?


So I basically got a "take two of these and call me in the morning".


On the flip side. This has been the best dealership and place I have ever purchased a car. They have take great care of me before and after the sale.

Everett Chevrolet in Springdale, Arkansas!

I had the exact same issue with my 2012 2LT RS. We got about five inches of snow here in Casper, Wyoming and I couldn't move the car for three days. Finally enough melted I decided to take it for a drive and she started idling funny and all the stabilitrak lights and service warning came in.

I turned it off, let it sit for a few hours and fired it back up, no issues. Drove it for 50 miles, took it to 100 on the interstate, nothing, no issues. Even coming home the stabilitrak kicked in on the snowy road like normal.

I took it in for routine service today and had them check everything out. They said a P0300 code had been logged and to bring it back on Friday to get checked out again. Luckily, I was assured anything wrong would be under warranty, but I'm getting ready to move to Delaware, a 2,000 mile drive, in two weeks. Kinda freaking out over here.

iCamaro 01-01-2013 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kylegrantham (Post 5977312)
I had the exact same issue with my 2012 2LT RS. We got about five inches of snow here in Casper, Wyoming and I couldn't move the car for three days. Finally enough melted I decided to take it for a drive and she started idling funny and all the stabilitrak lights and service warning came in.

I turned it off, let it sit for a few hours and fired it back up, no issues. Drove it for 50 miles, took it to 100 on the interstate, nothing, no issues. Even coming home the stabilitrak kicked in on the snowy road like normal.

I took it in for routine service today and had them check everything out. They said a P0300 code had been logged and to bring it back on Friday to get checked out again. Luckily, I was assured anything wrong would be under warranty, but I'm getting ready to move to Delaware, a 2,000 mile drive, in two weeks. Kinda freaking out over here.



Well I know I'm not the only one. Welcome to the forum! :chevy:

fergie1197 01-01-2013 04:49 PM

I just had the same issue today.. I have not drove my car for about 3 days because of snow. I started it today and sounded louder than normal and shaky feeling and service stability Waring popped up. I pulled out of garage reved engine and light went off..I am still going to have it checked out..

AC 01-01-2013 05:00 PM

Dang Chris... I hope it doesnt happen again.

iCamaro 01-01-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC (Post 5979674)
Dang Chris... I hope it doesnt happen again.


I hope not either! It's been three days since I've driven my car. I have been tempted to go and start it up, but then that would require me to go out to the cold garage.
:laugh:

Kylegrantham 01-04-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris81106 (Post 5979772)
I hope not either! It's been three days since I've driven my car. I have been tempted to go and start it up, but then that would require me to go out to the cold garage.
:laugh:

Thanks for the welcome but I've got bad news Chris, I have coolant leaking into cylinder #3 :confused0068:. I just got the word from our local dealership.

It's warranty work, but they'll be keeping it until at least Wednesday while they get parts to fix it. There's no recall on this issue of yet, but apparently this is a common enough occurrence that they had a bulletin in their system about it.

Something is wrong with gasket that allows carbon build up to let coolant into the cylinders...

I immediately questioned whether this was something I'm going to see a recurring problem with and was told that once they make this repair it shouldn't be a problem in the future.

Sounds an awful lot like a gasket needs to be recalled to me.

The worst part, I'm driving this 2,000 miles on Thursday. I have to pray this is fixed and fixed right.

jameslk55 01-04-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris81106 (Post 5958669)
So I put the car in my garage and didn't drive it for three days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kylegrantham (Post 5977312)
We got about five inches of snow here in Casper, Wyoming and I couldn't move the car for three days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fergie1197 (Post 5979635)
I just had the same issue today.. I have not drove my car for about 3 days because of snow.

Holy crap. :confused0068:
Don't drive your Camaro for 3 days and bad stuff will happen. :( I have a 2012 2LT and I also have to worry about the torque converter going bad.

Kylegrantham 01-04-2013 04:54 PM

I'm willing to bet everyone with the symptoms Chris and I have, have coolant in a cylinder. All they had to do, supposedly, was type the symptoms into their bulletin system and this came up.

Which agains leads me to wonder why a recall hasn't been issued.

Kylegrantham 01-05-2013 05:27 PM

Got more clarification today from a buddy who used to work at the GM dealership here in town and has worked on the problem in the past. He said it's common on the V6 models in cylinder 1 and 3, and on the V8 models to also show up in cylinder 8. It's a known issue with the gaskets that usually allow oil to get into the cylinder and burn from one side causing carbon build up in the cylinder and around the gasket. That in time allows coolant to seep in from the opposite side and cause the misfire.

Normally the Camaro is balanced for a 13:1 mixture of oxygen to fuel in each cylinder. If coolant gets in, which has a high percentage of water, that throws off the ratio and causes the misfire since water obviously doesn't burn. It also takes a lot of high temperature, long runs, to get that water out of the cylinder. If enough gets in repeatedly then serious issues develop in the cylinder that can lead to total engine replacement. If caught early, though, it's as simple as cleaning out the build up and replacing the head gasket.

He said normally it's just the one bad gasket that causes the issue, but each time he worked on the repair they went ahead and replaced them all.

So guys, I'd recommend getting your rides in to the dealer ASAP, especially if they're under warranty, and getting this taken care of before you're looking at a full engine replacement.

iCamaro 01-05-2013 05:31 PM

Wow! I'm going to do that!

Kylegrantham 01-05-2013 05:54 PM

Good luck Chris, let us know how it comes out. Hoping for the best.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 01-08-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kylegrantham (Post 5991833)
Thanks for the welcome but I've got bad news Chris, I have coolant leaking into cylinder #3 :confused0068:. I just got the word from our local dealership.

It's warranty work, but they'll be keeping it until at least Wednesday while they get parts to fix it. There's no recall on this issue of yet, but apparently this is a common enough occurrence that they had a bulletin in their system about it.

Something is wrong with gasket that allows carbon build up to let coolant into the cylinders...

I immediately questioned whether this was something I'm going to see a recurring problem with and was told that once they make this repair it shouldn't be a problem in the future.

Sounds an awful lot like a gasket needs to be recalled to me.

The worst part, I'm driving this 2,000 miles on Thursday. I have to pray this is fixed and fixed right.


Please let us know if your dealership was able to address all of your concerns promptly.

We certainly apologize for any inconveniences.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service

zero260asap 01-09-2013 01:46 PM

I have been having this problem lately when it's cold out. I start my 2010 1ss in the morning and it misfires the car shakes, and the CEL blinks for about 20 seconds and the service stabilitrac lights come on... after about 30 seconds the idle comes down and it runs fine and all the lights go off... I don't like this at all im going to the dealer as soon as i can.

iCamaro 01-09-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zero260asap (Post 6013890)
I have been having this problem lately when it's cold out. I start my 2010 1ss in the morning and it misfires the car shakes, and the CEL blinks for about 20 seconds and the service stabilitrac lights come on... after about 30 seconds the idle comes down and it runs fine and all the lights go off... I don't like this at all im going to the dealer as soon as i can.

Welcome to the forum! Please keep us up to date on what your dealer says. :thumbsup:

Chevrolet Customer Svc 01-10-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zero260asap (Post 6013890)
I have been having this problem lately when it's cold out. I start my 2010 1ss in the morning and it misfires the car shakes, and the CEL blinks for about 20 seconds and the service stabilitrac lights come on... after about 30 seconds the idle comes down and it runs fine and all the lights go off... I don't like this at all im going to the dealer as soon as i can.


We apologize for any inconvenience or frustration you are currently experiencing. I would suggest going to the dealership as well for a proper diagnosis. Please let us know the outcome.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service

Kylegrantham 01-11-2013 10:23 AM

Well guys I have more horrible news.

They put the engine back together, test drove it, and more warnings came up that I now have a slack timing belt. How on Earth have I put 26,000 miles on this car and it's only when the engine is completely disassembled and reassembled that this issue comes about, you might ask? I asked the same thing and was assured I'm pretty much an idiot and to not worry about it again.

I'm so sick of the customer service at our dealership.

I finally got to the point I got the general manager on the phone and what he told me takes the cake.

I said, "This is ridiculous, you've had this for a week, you've known I was planning to move today, now you tell me there's something else wrong and my plans are completely thrown off. What's going to break when you fix this?"

He replied, "Well this should take care of it, but this is why cars have warranties. GM doesn't guarantee every car comes off the assembly line perfect."

Talk about brand confidence right there.

But wait, it gets better.

Yesterday we had a high of 45, clear blue skies to start our 2,000 mile drive. Today, high of 17, 3-6 inches of snow expected with 25mph+ winds. We all know how well Camaros do in snow. Not to mention our entire apartment was loaded onto a truck yesterday and we had to find somewhere to stay in Casper for the night. More if it turns out we're snowed in now.

iCamaro 01-11-2013 02:03 PM

I would ask for a brand new engine, no more no less. Don't pick up the car and call GM!

fergie1197 01-12-2013 11:19 PM

Hi guys, I just took my car in the other day, I had several isues., tire, air conditioner, and the stability. The dealership said they found an update for PCM..and this is what caused the stability trac issue and engine to run rough..it seems to run better but we had 60 degree weather here also ..so I will see what happens when the temp drops..Good luck guys..

INTIMIDAT3R 01-16-2013 10:34 AM

Anyone have the service bulletin number?

My '12 2LS has been in the shop twice for misfires in cylinders 2 and 4.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.