Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Hood wrap being dangerous (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272088)

Pdub28 01-20-2013 11:49 AM

Hood wrap being dangerous
 
Seems to me the thought of putting a hood wrap could tear at highway speeds leaving the driver blinded from view. Why wouldn't Chevrolet just put a carbon fiber hood on instead? Any thoughts?

SumWhite1LE 01-20-2013 11:54 AM

:facepalm:

64lusso 01-20-2013 11:59 AM

$$$$$$$$

The Stig 01-20-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdub28 (Post 6060486)
Seems to me the thought of putting a hood wrap could tear at highway speeds leaving the driver blinded from view. Why wouldn't Chevrolet just put a carbon fiber hood on instead? Any thoughts?

Your hood wrap won't come off at high speeds. Don't know who told you that it could/would do that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64lu.sso (Post 6060513)
$$$$$$$$

Yes, a carbon fiber hood would have upped the 1LE's MSRP by at least $2,000

Pdub28 01-20-2013 12:15 PM

Carbon fiber was just a suggestion. A flat black paint would of worked and kept cost down. I love the car but thinking safety minded, this hood wrap raises huge safety flags.

Jc's1LE 01-20-2013 12:20 PM

how does a wrap hood raise safety flags please explain

Jayrcr3 01-20-2013 12:21 PM

Nearly every race car in existence uses wraps that hold up at speeds in excess of 200mph. Your 1LE is safe.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

The Stig 01-20-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdub28 (Post 6060555)
Carbon fiber was just a suggestion. A flat black paint would of worked and kept cost down. I love the car but thinking safety minded, this hood wrap raises huge safety flags.

No it wouldn't actually. Flat/matte paint is a bigger PIA to maintain than regular paint because you can't buff or polish it. If you get a scratch, nick, etc you have to repaint the whole hood. Why do you think I didn't get Kaylee repainted in satin black pearl like I originally planned?

Pdub28 01-20-2013 12:28 PM

The possibility of common road debris (i.e. rocks) flying up and hitting/tearing the wrap. This in turn could be catastrophic. If not at that moment, then over time as the tear works an air pocket then the possibility of a tear at highway speeds. If the tear is in the right area this could leave wrap covering the windshield. This event would most likely happen at highway speeds, rendering an unsafe situation.

Muscle SS 01-20-2013 12:30 PM

Trolling?

The Stig 01-20-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdub28 (Post 6060591)
The possibility of common road debris (i.e. rocks) flying up and hitting/tearing the wrap. This in turn could be catastrophic. If not at that moment, then over time as the tear works an air pocket then the possibility of a tear at highway speeds. If the tear is in the right area this could leave wrap covering the windshield. This event would most likely happen at highway speeds, rendering an unsafe situation.

OK.....

So then why hasn't anyone with the factory hood stripes had this problem?

vinman 01-20-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdub28 (Post 6060591)
The possibility of common road debris (i.e. rocks) flying up and hitting/tearing the wrap. This in turn could be catastrophic. If not at that moment, then over time as the tear works an air pocket then the possibility of a tear at highway speeds. If the tear is in the right area this could leave wrap covering the windshield. This event would most likely happen at highway speeds, rendering an unsafe situation.

I think you should give me your 1LE just to be safe then:rolleyes:

Bayarea510 01-20-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdub28 (Post 6060591)
The possibility of common road debris (i.e. rocks) flying up and hitting/tearing the wrap. This in turn could be catastrophic. If not at that moment, then over time as the tear works an air pocket then the possibility of a tear at highway speeds. If the tear is in the right area this could leave wrap covering the windshield. This event would most likely happen at highway speeds, rendering an unsafe situation.


:sm0::sm0::sm0::clap:

Pdub28 01-20-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 6060616)
OK.....

So then why hasn't anyone with the factory hood stripes had this problem?

I don't think the hood stripes are actually wrap.

chef-beavis 01-20-2013 12:48 PM

Same material and ADHESIVE. This is no different than the vinyl applied to all the NASCAR. race cars. Good luck removing it intentionally with a heat gun ; let alone flying off at speed. Did you think this is just vacuum wrapped?

The Stig 01-20-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdub28 (Post 6060644)
I don't think the hood stripes are actually wrap.

Both the 1LE matte black hood and ALL of the OEM stripes are made of the same 3M vinyl.

So again - why hasn't this happened to the OEM vinyl stripes if it's such a safety hazard?

SPCBA 01-20-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdub28 (Post 6060644)
I don't think the hood stripes are actually wrap.

they are vinyl and a bitch to take off ask me how i know. even with a nick or tear in it it stays put. shit i have rear window louvres that are attached by 3m tape and they dont go anywhere. op you questions and concerns are unvalidated and rediculous.

enjoy your 1 le if you even have one

Pdub28 01-20-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef-beavis (Post 6060671)
Same material and ADHESIVE. This is no different than the vinyl applied to all the NASCAR. race cars. Good luck removing it intentionally with a heat gun ; let alone flying off at speed. Did you think this is just vacuum wrapped?

Sounds like a lot of folks are removing it easily. I wouldn't think it would be just wrap. I'm sure adhesive would be used.

The Stig 01-20-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdub28 (Post 6060684)
Sounds like a lot of folks are removing it easily. I wouldn't think it would be just wrap. I'm sure adhesive would be used.

See my above post.

daveagogo1 01-20-2013 12:55 PM

Is this real life?

Trust me. If you could go fast enough to blow the wrap off. Your car would fall apart first upon liftoff. So.. invest in a spacesuit.

PYROLYSIS 01-20-2013 01:04 PM

It's a miracle the windshield wipers on your Silverado haven't flown off and impaled vehicles behind you.

Obzen 01-20-2013 01:07 PM

http://oi44.tinypic.com/2m8626d.jpg

RatRacer 01-20-2013 01:17 PM

Don't worry. They use high tech wallpaper glue, not that elmer's stuff.

Ryanbabz71 01-20-2013 01:22 PM

This can't be a serious topic.


Ryan

FINALLYSATISFIED 01-20-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdub28 (Post 6060555)
Carbon fiber was just a suggestion. A flat black paint would of worked and kept cost down. I love the car but thinking safety minded, this hood wrap raises huge safety flags.

Then don't buy one


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.