Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   New user, saying hello / had a thought on the LS7 (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274975)

DSX_Camaro 02-04-2013 12:17 AM

New user, saying hello / had a thought on the LS7
 
As the topic says, HELLO! I have been browsing here a while and thought I should finally make an account and communicate. I just recently got a 2013 RS Camaro (2LT) and I am loving every second of it. I also noted that everyone on the forum seem very personable and otherwise friendly, so I am optimistic.

About the LS7 Camaro (if it becomes a reality) why would it be the Z28? It would definitely be a 3SS and 4SS option, complete with possibility of 1LE package. The Z28 will have the LS9... now imagine that machine.

Bhobbs 02-04-2013 12:31 AM

Because the Z/28 is all about track performance. The LS7 puts out great HP without the weight of the supercharger and intercooler. Plus there isn't a heat soak issue.

clg_98ta 02-04-2013 11:23 AM

There doesn't seem to be any real logic in how/when/why Chevy resurrects old nomenclature (or if there is, it's masked by inconsistency).

I'd like to see the LS7 as just an optional engine available in the SS, but I doubt that will happen.

PYROLYSIS 02-04-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clg_98ta (Post 6120223)
There doesn't seem to be any real logic in how/when/why Chevy resurrects old nomenclature (or if there is, it's masked by inconsistency).

I'd like to see the LS7 as just an optional engine available in the SS, but I doubt that will happen.

I'd be fine with an LS7 option as well but if you put in the LS7 the driveline will need upgrading, as well as the brakes. That would definitely be the best way to go as far as affordability but I think the LS7 has too much power and history to not have its own model and the name be something well respected like Z28.

wildpaws 02-04-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS (Post 6121311)
I'd be fine with an LS7 option as well but if you put in the LS7 the driveline will need upgrading, as well as the brakes. That would definitely be the best way to go as far as affordability but I think the LS7 has too much power and history to not have its own model and the name be something well respected like Z28.

I think you nailed it!!:D
Clyde

OldScoolCamaro 02-04-2013 06:39 PM

....as much as I have read the tea leaves from internet offerings and alike, I think we will have to wait 'till 2015-2016 when the line changes over to get the name we want. We will get the LS7, albeit expensive and a limited offering in this model. My main concern going forward is what models and engine offerings will be available. A LF3 TT 6, the FI LT1, and a supercharged LT4 will be the big ponies we will run with?

Bhobbs 02-04-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro (Post 6121834)
....as much as I have read the tea leaves from internet offerings and alike, I think we will have to wait 'till 2015-2016 when the line changes over to get the name we want. We will get the LS7, albeit expensive and a limited offering in this model. My main concern going forward is what models and engine offerings will be available. A LF3 TT 6, the FI LT1, and a supercharged LT4 will be the big ponies we will run with?

I don't know what GM will put under the hood of a 6th gen Z/28. The LT1 is a base engine and doesn't belong, no TT V6, and I don't think a supercharged LT engine would work either. There's a reason the ZL1 was named ZL1 instead of Z/28. I am interested in what will power the C7 Z06. An engine based on that may make its way into the Z/28.

PYROLYSIS 02-04-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro (Post 6121834)
....as much as I have read the tea leaves from internet offerings and alike, I think we will have to wait 'till 2015-2016 when the line changes over to get the name we want. We will get the LS7, albeit expensive and a limited offering in this model. My main concern going forward is what models and engine offerings will be available. A LF3 TT 6, the FI LT1, and a supercharged LT4 will be the big ponies we will run with?

Would you rather have an LS7 fifth gen or a 6th gen Z28? If the 6th gen Z28 is made with an LT1 they could supplement absurd amounts of horsepower with all the tech and aero that the Stingray has to make a supercar comparable to today's ZL1. I personally think they will charge premium prices for an LT1 6th gen and the days of an affordable V-8 are coming to a close. I hope dearly that I'm wrong.

Bhobbs 02-04-2013 08:05 PM

I would like to see a 5th gen Z/28 powered by the LS7. I won't be able to afford it due to school but I still hope it's build. It would be an awesome car capable of running with much more expensive cars.

OldScoolCamaro 02-04-2013 08:08 PM

...you are,..my friend...;). The LS7 is part of the LS family, which dies off with the advent of the Gen 5 V8. The LT1 and the LT4, the only two 8 cylinder DI's we know of so far, replace that engine architecture. There are only 5 parts used over from the LS family on the new engine line, mostly fasteners and clips etc... So, it's now or never for the 7.0 L 427 LS7, no news on the horizon for a replacement 7.0 L DI next gen motor., just the the 376 CID DI's. So, we get it in this line, before the change, or never. Scuttlebut says it will come, the VIN card was leaked, for a lack of better words, along with other engine designations for 2014 on another card that was not listed on C5. So, speculation is the LS7 will come, not as a Z/28, but a special edition. I am not trying to fight my way into that line like I did with the 2012 ZL1. I don't have enough juice to be one of the allocations, not by a long shot. Just my o2...:)

PYROLYSIS 02-04-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro (Post 6122190)
...you are,..my friend...;). The LS7 is part of the LS family, which dies off with the advent of the Gen 5 V8. The LT1 and the LT4, the only two 8 cylinder DI's we know of so far, replace that engine architecture. There are only 5 parts used over from the LS family on the new engine line, mostly fasteners and clips etc... So, it's now or never for the 7.0 L 427 LS7, no news on the horizon for a replacement 7.0 L DI next gen motor., just the the 376 CID DI's. So, we get it in this line, before the change, or never. Scuttlebut says it will come, the VIN card was leaked, for a lack of better words, along with other engine designations for 2014 on another card that was not listed on C5. So, speculation is the LS7 will come, not as a Z/28, but a special edition. I am not trying to fight my way into that line like I did with the 2012 ZL1. I don't have enough juice to be one of the allocations, not by a long shot. Just my o2...:)

:thumbsup:

Blueclyde 02-04-2013 09:17 PM

I predict this will happen. The 5th gen platform will go out with a bang. The question is if it does happen how many will they make?

PYROLYSIS 02-04-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueclyde (Post 6122429)
I predict this will happen. The 5th gen platform will go out with a bang. The question is if it does happen how many will they make?

Yeah, and what will be the price? We have a long wait for that answer if recent history has anything to say about it. The car in question hasn't even been announced yet.

Bhobbs 02-05-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS (Post 6122476)
Yeah, and what will be the price? We have a long wait for that answer if recent history has anything to say about it. The car in question hasn't even been announced yet.

I highly doubt GM will let the 5th gen end without some kind of Z/28 Camaro being built. In my opinion, it would be a massive failure. The Z/28 is one of the, if not the most iconic Camaro trims of all time. It may have lost its way over the years but GM the 5th gen is the resurrection and that can't be complete without the Z/28. They never should have waited to bring it out. It should have been built before the ZL1.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.