Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   GM out done by Hyundai (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2773)

unkbd 02-04-2008 11:49 PM

GM out done by Hyundai
 
During the Superbowl I think I saw a commercial for a 375Hp Hyundai. Then I saw it again today. Along the lines of speculation ... what are the odds that GM will let the Camaro debut with less HP than this Hyundai? And before I get :flame: , let me say I only brought it up cause I think it brings a little insight to what we may be getting for an engine. I can't believe that GM would let this happen. Maybe on the V6 model, but not the V8.

Mr. Wyndham 02-05-2008 12:13 AM

mmmm...neh. I don't think so.
With Challenger rumored to have a base V8 w. ~380 hp, the Mustang rumored to be putting out 350-375 ish, and now this....I think +/-400hp for the base V8 Camaro is probably your best bet.

The_Blur 02-05-2008 12:25 AM

It's only horsepower. They never mentioned any torque specs. Don't forget how easy to beat the 190-hp Civic Si (yes, I know Honda and Hyundai are not the same) is even when compared to the Cobalt Sport (173 hp) due to extremely weak torque. They still don't have OnStar or a lineage of history. It's good to see Hyundai making a good platform, but I wouldn't worry too much about considering it competition. Expect Lexus to take a small loss. Remember that Hyundai has to overcome what GM is still working to overcome—a reputation. While Toyota and Honda took advantage of low American car quality in the past, Hyundai did not make a name for itself as a pinnacle of quality cars. They were just another import car company.

VTXrider 02-05-2008 12:37 AM

The torque number is 333 amazing for a Hyundai. They said a BMW 3 series price. Anyone expect a line for a $40k Hyundai?

The_Blur 02-05-2008 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTXrider (Post 43522)
The torque number is 333 amazing for a Hyundai. They said a BMW 3 series price. Anyone expect a line for a $40k Hyundai?

:yikes: That is really impressive for most car companies, especially Hyundai. I can't believe I missed that.

Even still, I think they're going to have trouble selling it with a cursive H on the front end. It's a Hyundai. No one will back off of their BMW for one. They might defect from Lexus, but I can't imagine someone valuing Hyundai's brand higher than a company known for luxury or power. I'm not denying that the Genesis is impressive. I just think Hyundai has a long road ahead if they want this car to be accepted among luxury or performance buyers as far as brand development is concerned.

'09-Z28 02-05-2008 10:22 AM

The Genesis sedan won't even be competition for the Camaro. It is meant to
compete with cars like the G8, Avalon, and Maxima - according to Motor
Trend.

The coupe is said to be in competition with the Mustang and Camaro.Here's
what MotorTrend said about the coupe:
"There's no V-8 for the Hyundai's rear-drive "BT" coupe. Although it's based
on the Genesis, it's shorter and doesn't have enough space under the hood
to package the new Tau V-8. But Hyundai is wringing nearly 300 horses out
of its 3.8-liter V-6, so the car could be a credible Mustang GT-fighter for less
than $25,000."

radz28 02-05-2008 11:08 AM

Very disturbing, LOL.

Mr. Wyndham 02-05-2008 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '09-Z28 (Post 43561)
The Genesis sedan won't even be competition for the Camaro. It is meant to
compete with cars like the G8, Avalon, and Maxima - according to Motor
Trend.

The coupe is said to be in competition with the Mustang and Camaro.Here's
what MotorTrend said about the coupe:
"There's no V-8 for the Hyundai's rear-drive "BT" coupe. Although it's based
on the Genesis, it's shorter and doesn't have enough space under the hood
to package the new Tau V-8. But Hyundai is wringing nearly 300 horses out
of its 3.8-liter V-6, so the car could be a credible Mustang GT-fighter for less
than $25,000."

Well, putting two, and two together, if it's a Mustang Fighter, than it's bound to be a Camaro-fighter too.;)

But, I don't think any Sedan will impede on the Mustang/Camaro segment. BUT...best not to take chances, right? :bellyroll:

DGthe3 02-05-2008 05:10 PM

slightly off topic, but going back to hp and torque of american vs japanesse engines, I was reading up on the engines used in the Ariel Atom (1000 lb go cart with 300 hp). It uses a s/c'd ecotec engines for the Amerian version, and a s/c'd Honda engine in Europe. Both get 300 hp for the top version. BUT the ecotec gets 250 ft-lbs of torque but the Honda has only 163! and both of them are 2.0L engines

back on topic . . .

MCPOAJ 02-11-2008 06:05 PM

I don't think that chevrolet will let this happen the 09 Camaro is gonna be powerful they'll put the LS2 (just what i think they'll do) in the standard so i don't think that the 6 cylinder will be that bad.

Jeff 02-11-2008 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCPOAJ (Post 44578)
I don't think that chevrolet will let this happen the 09 Camaro is gonna be powerful they'll put the LS2 (just what i think they'll do) in the standard so i don't think that the 6 cylinder will be that bad.

Your kidding right? :bellyroll:

The LS2 is in the Camaro concept but will NOT be in the production model. - Its a out of date, discontinued motor lol.

..

DGthe3 02-11-2008 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCPOAJ (Post 44578)
I don't think that chevrolet will let this happen the 09 Camaro is gonna be powerful they'll put the LS2 (just what i think they'll do) in the standard so i don't think that the 6 cylinder will be that bad.

LS2 is pretty much dead. The LS3 costs about the same, gets about the same mileage, and gets more power. I hope you aren't disapointed. The articles that you have read about the LS2 going into the Camaro was either refering to the concept, or was just misinformed.

MCPOAJ 02-11-2008 06:23 PM

alright i see i'm not disapointed thats just what i thought because thats what they put in the GTO and had in the concept and sorry if i don't no anything about i haven't done much research

asrapid 02-11-2008 06:36 PM

IF hyundai put v8 in their coupe they will have around 380 hp..GM has couple of engine which puts more than that LS3, L92, LSA, LS9. I heard some rumors about supercharged Tau v8..but i don't think it is anywhere near HP level of supercharged LS series. of course not to mention development on future engines.
But cahllenger with their 6.4 l V8 (if it gets produce) and mustang with new boss v8 could be closer in power .

DGthe3 02-11-2008 06:41 PM

Everyones gotta start somewhere, and this is one of the best places to have that start. Hang around, read some threads on engine speculation and pricing, and soon you will know more than 99% of the people out there

Mr. Wyndham 02-11-2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 44586)
Everyones gotta start somewhere, and this is one of the best places to have that start. Hang around, read some threads on engine speculation and pricing, and soon you will know more than 99% of the people out there

:word:We're not about to shun anybody out, or try and make you unwelcome. Unlike 'other' places...Look around - I'm sure you'll be MORE than happy with our potential engine options in lieu of an LS2.:thumbup:

stovt001 02-11-2008 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCPOAJ (Post 44583)
alright i see i'm not disapointed thats just what i thought because thats what they put in the GTO and had in the concept and sorry if i don't no anything about i haven't done much research

No worries. Just understand that we've known around here for a LOOOONG time that the LS2 is pretty much dead, yet it keeps getting reported in the media and by people not following GM engine lineups as closely as we do that the Camaro will get an LS2. Kinda frustrating. Stick around long enough (I sure hope you do) and you'll eventually develop a twitch every time someone mentions "LS2". :mad0233:

P.S. I could have sworn we had a smiley showing a nervous twitch. Hmm...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.