Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Z/28 - Limited Production Run or as many orders as they can fill? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285561)

Bad@ssCamaro 03-28-2013 03:01 AM

Z/28 - Limited Production Run or as many orders as they can fill?

Since we have estimates on what the price range will be , what do you think that GM should do? Limit the production run to say, 2000 units per year, or like the ZL1, as many as they can produce/ordered - which then it would not be a limited production car. I think it will be in the same regards as the ZL1, only that with the predicted price range, it might not have as much of a demand.

The LS7 engine is said to have limited availability since it is a hand-built engine, but GM has not announced what and how many are available to put into the Z/28, at least to my knowledge, and this will have an impact on the amount that they will produce. Let's open the discussion and let's try not to get too far off topic. ;)

flht99b 03-28-2013 05:44 AM

At approximately 150 LS7 engines built in a week equates to 7500 LS7 engines in a year so it's possible there could be approximately 7500 Z/28's built per year. That's slightly more than 2 cars per dealer in the USA ( 3084 USA Chevy dealers ). Frankly I doubt there will be a demand for that many. Only the very well heeled will purchase this car, someone who can afford to purchase teh car and park it in their collection. It will be near $65K plus options plus GG tax PLUS the big one, dealer mark up. I don't see any of these cars selling for less than 80K. And I bet the lion share of them will never see the street let alone a race track, they are going to become garage queens unfortunately.
Ed M.

Bad@ssCamaro 03-28-2013 04:06 PM

GM is capable of producing a good amount of vehicles if they so desire, but the question remains, will they? I would agree that a majority of buyers will see limited track time with them, but there will be those that have the deep enough pockets and the desire to race that will get the most attention in the first year or so. I'm sure there will be plenty of youtube video's on the car after it is released and sold to the public. These are exciting times for car enthusiasts, especially for GM fans. :wave:

LOWDOWN 03-28-2013 09:03 PM

Well, just like it took about 9 months to ramp up ZL1 production, they are allowing themselves a similar timeline for this one ("Available Spring '14", as per brochure). And recall there was a backlog, initially, and much moanin' and groanin' over ZL1 production/distribution.

Pricing will separate the serious from the wishful, and my sense is fewer Z/28s will arrive @ Anytown Chevrolet than were/are ZL1s...

motorhead 03-28-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOWDOWN (Post 6351634)
Well, just like it took about 9 months to ramp up ZL1 production, they are allowing themselves a similar timeline for this one ("Available Spring '14", as per brochure). And recall there was a backlog, initially, and much moanin' and groanin' over ZL1 production/distribution.

Pricing will separate the serious from the wishful, and my sense is fewer Z/28s will arrive @ Anytown Chevrolet than were/are ZL1s...

The reveal said that is wasn't coming until the fall of this year, and too that it does sound like it will be built in limited numbers. It's been stressed by many of the high ups that this car isn't for everybody. So that tells me that they won't be building many.

Gibroni 03-28-2013 09:14 PM

We have to see how soon GM decides to put the LS7 into the new Corvette. The Z/28 is intended to be, as the original Z/28 was intended to be, a weekend racer that could be driven on the street. I see the ZL1 as a daily driver unlike the Z/28. Initially the Z/28 will sell to collectors but then taper off to those who want it for autocrossing on the weekend. It's a specialty car. I also think the price will fall right in between a 2SS and the ZL1.

LOWDOWN 03-28-2013 09:18 PM

There's a discrepancy in the Press Release...in several areas...but the brochure is "hard copy", proofed...and believeable...as per the ZL1 experience. The ZL1, from reveal at Chicago to initial shipping (before QC delay), was almost a year to the day.

OldScoolCamaro 03-28-2013 09:25 PM

...ok my sarcastic head rears itself once again. What will be harder to obtain? A 2014 Spring availabilty 2014 Z/28 with a handbulit Bowling Green LS7 motor, or a set of hens teeth?

LOWDOWN 03-28-2013 09:31 PM

...yes...

2cnd chance 03-28-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gibroni (Post 6351694)
We have to see how soon GM decides to put the LS7 into the new Corvette. The Z/28 is intended to be, as the original Z/28 was intended to be, a weekend racer that could be driven on the street. I see the ZL1 as a daily driver unlike the Z/28. Initially the Z/28 will sell to collectors but then taper off to those who want it for autocrossing on the weekend. It's a specialty car. I also think the price will fall right in between a 2SS and the ZL1.

There will be no LS7 in the C7. The Z28 will be the priciest of Camaro's.

I think that anyone that wants and can buy one will be able to get one (but not on day1).

14pilot 03-28-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flht99b (Post 6347363)
At approximately 150 LS7 engines built in a week equates to 7500 LS7 engines in a year so it's possible there could be approximately 7500 Z/28's built per year. That's slightly more than 2 cars per dealer in the USA ( 3084 USA Chevy dealers ). Frankly I doubt there will be a demand for that many. Only the very well heeled will purchase this car, someone who can afford to purchase teh car and park it in their collection. It will be near $65K plus options plus GG tax PLUS the big one, dealer mark up. I don't see any of these cars selling for less than 80K. And I bet the lion share of them will never see the street let alone a race track, they are going to become garage queens unfortunately.
Ed M.

^^^ THIS IS CORRECT ^^^

Hand built engine restricts production. The demand for an $80K Camaro will be limited. I'll take a stab and guess total 2014 Z/28 production will be less than 4,000 units.

OldScoolCamaro 03-28-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOWDOWN (Post 6351791)
...yes...

:smiling1: :D

OldScoolCamaro 03-28-2013 10:14 PM

...all LS motors are dead and gone for 2014 'Vettes. Now, we get the leftovers. Sometimes, it's good to be the scavenger...

Hylton 03-28-2013 10:33 PM

Hey Lowdown! Guess Al read your email to have that LS7 held over for an extra year or two huh? ;)

flht99b 03-29-2013 06:06 AM

The really sad thing is even as an enthusiast that can afford this car, I have my doubts as to whether my local dealer can get an allotment. I also have to question if I really want a new Z/28 so bad I can deal with no radio and A/C and if any new Camaro is worth $80K. What is laughable is during C5Fest at Indy in 2012 Scott Stettlemire, aka "Fbodfather" told me and I quote " there will be no LS7 powered 5th Gen Camaro, the LS7 is old technology ". I knew right then and there there would be a LS7 powered Camaro. It's a shame the 5th gen Z/28 will not be a car many will be able to own or enjoy.
Ed M.

Forty5th 03-29-2013 07:16 AM

I estimate... < 5% of all '14 Camaro buyers will opt for the new Z/28.

gmen09 03-29-2013 07:38 AM

The way they are describing im the z/28 I am seein it more and more as an expensive limited production camaro. "Highest camaro in the totem pole" kinda says it all.

Forty5th 03-29-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmen09 (Post 6353078)
The way they are describing im the z/28 I am seein it more and more as an expensive limited production camaro. "Highest camaro in the totem pole" kinda says it all.

Even on the hero spec card it's depicted as the head honcho (read left to right)...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1364426435

LOWDOWN 03-29-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hylton (Post 6352133)
Hey Lowdown! Guess Al read your email to have that LS7 held over for an extra year or two huh? ;)

Hylton, if you recall, my very first posts, here, were a call to action for an LS9 and/or LS7 Camaro...in April '09...and had the contraction of GM-Canada NOT occurred, those 2 Camaros would have arrived in time for NAIAS '10, by "privateers"...

With a lil inspiration from '69, including a few extra horses and some heavy lifting, this song and video is a great metaphor...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Lc1wQYuMM

35th02ss 03-29-2013 07:51 AM

limited