Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Canada (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Brakes & Rotors (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286997)

smarbrit 04-03-2013 04:38 PM

Brakes & Rotors

I just got the call from my dealer that they will be machining my rotors and replacing some parts under warranty. Parts are coming out of the US so will be another week or so before repairs are done.

I did ask about replacing the rotors but was told GM won't replace them.

Apparently GM will do this 1 time only up to 39,000 kms, if it happens again, I get to replace the rotors. Fair enough as it is related to driving habits.....They also suggested if I do brake hard and have to stop for a period (like at a light), use the ebrake. Not trying to be jerky or anything, they were just offering suggestions.

OUR72GTO 04-03-2013 05:40 PM

Once they turn those rotors time is not your friend.:popcorn:

slededorilllia 04-03-2013 06:13 PM

so, what is the deal with the recall or service bulletin on the squeaking brakes.....just got the car out and noticed the brakes seem to squeal even after driving it for a bit.....the pads still have lots of meat on em too.....any help thanks...

smarbrit 04-03-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OUR72GTO (Post 6377965)
Once they turn those rotors time is not your friend.:popcorn:

Explain??:noidea:

NFRNOSS 04-03-2013 07:05 PM

I've had my car in for squeaky breaks several times. They all tell me the same thing.

These are performance brakes, and they glaze up, and will then squeak at light breaking...

Merc 04-03-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smarbrit (Post 6377733)
I just got the call from my dealer that they will be machining my rotors and replacing some parts under warranty. Parts are coming out of the US so will be another week or so before repairs are done.

Apparently GM will do this 1 time only up to 39,000 kms, if it happens again, I get to replace the rotors. Fair enough as it is related to driving habits.....They also suggested if I do brake hard and have to stop for a period (like at a light), use the ebrake. Not trying to be jerky or anything, they were just offering suggestions.

I fail to see why using your e-brake at a light would save your brakes. BTW it's now called a parking assist brake.:idiot:

:thumb:

CHMSC 04-03-2013 07:08 PM

The breaks squeak period lol don't think I know a camaro owner that has a quiet car.

GM will replace the rotors but only after they turn them first. BS I think but h well.

Merc 04-03-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRNOSS (Post 6378331)
I've had my car in for squeaky breaks several times. They all tell me the same thing.

These are performance brakes, and they glaze up, and will then squeak at light breaking...

Correct. You should try Hawk HP Plus pads, great on the road course suck on the street.

NFRNOSS 04-03-2013 08:10 PM

Yeah, I'll probably change to hawks when I need new break pads...

Merc 04-03-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFRNOSS (Post 6378660)
Yeah, I'll probably change to hawks when I need new break pads...

This time when I did the DBA rotor change I bought Hawk HP's for the street and HP Plus for the road course. So far the HP's are quiet.

smarbrit 04-03-2013 08:43 PM

I have 17,500 kms on my car, not too keen about replacing the brakes already.

Mine squeak when cold, doesn't bother me....

Merc 04-03-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smarbrit (Post 6378798)
I have 17,500 kms on my car, not too keen about replacing the brakes already.

Mine squeak when cold, doesn't bother me....

I did the rotor up-grade cause I like track days on the road course and I beat the hell out of the stock rotors.

smarbrit 04-03-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merc (Post 6378908)
I beat the hell out of the stock rotors.

Apparently I do too....:smiling1: no tracks for me tho

Cap'n Pete 04-03-2013 10:24 PM

Not sure about the specific issue(s) with the squeaky brake issue on these, but just a couple opinions on brakes in general:

- I had the original set of rotors from my '02 turned after ~60k (they had a pretty good warp in them), and continued to run them for SEVERAL track days (I mean ... A LOT of track days) and aside from developing the typical "spider cracking" (faint, surface cracking) they held up for a long time afterwards.

- any "performance" pad compound will squeak under typical street use. I've had good luck running ceramic pads for street use ... they do "work" on the track, but just don't have the same level of bite as typical pads, esp. track compounds. So unless you plan on tracking your car? (assuming most people are concerned about street driving) then I'd suggest trying a ceramic pad compound ......... I highly, highly doubt that the problem is with the rotors!?!?!

LS7 427 04-03-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merc (Post 6378744)
This time when I did the DBA rotor change I bought Hawk HP's for the street and HP Plus for the road course. So far the HP's are quiet.

I have the HP's on the stock rotors Brian and mine are quiet as well.

Bryan

Merc 04-03-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAMROSS (Post 6379239)
I have the HP's on the stock rotors Brian and mine are quiet as well.

Bryan

Different story if I the HP Plus on, they squeak like crazy but they bite hard on the road course.

:thumbsup:

dragon22 04-04-2013 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smarbrit (Post 6377733)

What they mean by this is if you're doing a lot of hard braking and have to sit at a light for an extended time, use the park brake to hold the car there instead of the pedal to prevent warping the rotors.

It was the same principle on the old drum brakes on the rear. The worse thing in the world for people to do was a lot of hard braking, then park the car and put the e-brake on as it would warp the drums.

I would give it a try. Can't hurt.

dragon22 04-04-2013 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smarbrit (Post 6378219)
Explain??:noidea:

When they machine/turn rotors, they take off a certain amount of material to make the rotors "true" again. No shop is going to take off too much material and put you back out on the road again with inadequate brakes. That's just a lawsuit waiting to happen. I've resurfaced rotors on my own vehicles over the years and had good luck with it. I've done it on lots of customer's cars over the years and had very few issues with it as well. (Unless, of course, they drive like they're on a road course). LOL

You shouldn't run into having to replace the brakes yet. Get as much as you can out of them. You paid for them. LOL

Wild Thing 04-04-2013 02:09 PM

ebrake

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merc (Post 6378346)
I fail to see why using your e-brake at a light would save your brakes. BTW it's now called a parking assist brake.:idiot:

The E brake is seperate from the regular brakes they do not touch the roter, thus when after hard braking useing the E Brake instead of regular brakes just to hold the car from rolling will keep the pads off the rotor letting them cool equally instead of staying hot under the pads when stopped after hard braking which may or may not cause distortion.

smarbrit 04-04-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Thing (Post 6381931)
The E brake is seperate from the regular brakes it does not touch the roter, thus when after hard braking useing the E Brake instead of regular brakes just to hold the car from rolling will keep the pads off the rotor letting them cool equally instead of staying hot under the pads when stopped after hard braking which may or may not cause distortion.

This is exactly the reason they gave me for using the e/parking brake.

I am surprised to have this issue though as I don't drive this car hard and I don't brake any harder than I ever have in any other vehicle I've owned. I've never had to slam on my brakes for any reason but sometimes there's just not enough time to gear down. Even coming down from highway speeds, the car slows enough on its own without needing the brakes or just limited use. I know my ABS has kicked in a few times, but that's due to snow/ice, not speed.

Meltdownaverted 04-04-2013 02:38 PM

We had I guy here that had to have his turned as well, GM won't replace them unless they've been turned once. He doesn't drive his car hard either its been a year and hes had no issues

Cap'n Pete 04-04-2013 07:41 PM

Once the rotors have heated/cooled a bunch of times and warped, that warp is "set". Turn the surface, get them true again, and they likely won't warp any further. At least, that was my experience ;).

smarbrit 05-09-2013 08:16 PM

Finally got to test the brakes this past weekend after they were machined and they still vibrate when touched at highway speeds. I've called the dealer and it's going back in on Tuesday.

smarbrit 05-14-2013 11:24 AM

Dropped the car off this morning and the service fellow tried telling me GM will only machine the brakes 1 time. I completely understand that, however they'd better be fixed properly the first time and after only a month and first time getting it to highway speeds, still having them vibrate tells me they didn't complete the job 100%. Apparently they only did the front rotors, not the back...

Robd 05-15-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smarbrit (Post 6542281)
Dropped the car off this morning and the service fellow tried telling me GM will only machine the brakes 1 time. I completely understand that, however they'd better be fixed properly the first time and after only a month and first time getting it to highway speeds, still having them vibrate tells me they didn't complete the job 100%. Apparently they only did the front rotors, not the back...

I'd definitely stick to my guns till its fixed right or it will be one of those 1000 dollar bill non warranty repairs later if you don't feel like they're getting it call gm Canada and make sure your concerns are documented that's my opinion as I've found sometimes just cause u express concern to service advisor it doesn't mean it's noted in your file