Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Elite catch can and 1LE clean side oil separator (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287757)

ONE LE 04-07-2013 02:27 PM

Elite catch can and 1LE clean side oil separator
 
Hi guys! I recently bought a camaro 1LE and an Elite catch can. I was wondering if it's safe to install the GM oil separator on the clean side aswell. I looked for a post regarding this subject, but it was about the RX catch can and I am not sure if there is any major difference between that one the Elite. I'd like to make sure before I do any damage.

Thanks for your help in advance! I really appreciate it

ONE LE

JJKJ 04-07-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ONE LE (Post 6394208)
Hi guys! I recently bought a camaro 1LE and an Elite catch can. I was wondering if it's safe to install the GM oil separator on the clean side aswell. I looked for a post regarding this subject, but it was about the RX catch can and I am not sure if there is any major difference between that one the Elite. I'd like to make sure before I do any damage.

Thanks for your help in advance! I really appreciate it

ONE LE

No problems, the Elite and RX cans function and are plumbed the same. I have the Elite can and 1LE separator installed on my car. The Elite can is working correctly--I did an autox today so had the rpm's up quite a bit and had a small amount of oil show up in my Elite can.

Firefighter 04-08-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJKJ (Post 6396085)
No problems, the Elite and RX cans function and are plumbed the same. I have the Elite can and 1LE separator installed on my car. The Elite can is working correctly--I did an autox today so had the rpm's up quite a bit and had a small amount of oil show up in my Elite can.


Do you have a link for the instal? I looked for a thread that showed the instal. I have an Elite can coming this week and am trying to get an idea of what to do for the instal.

JJKJ 04-08-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter (Post 6397268)
Do you have a link for the instal? I looked for a thread that showed the instal. I have an Elite can coming this week and am trying to get an idea of what to do for the instal.

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/i...tructions.html

It was a simple install; took me less than an hour to install the catch can and 1LE separator.

It's better to install the oil separator first because the only tricky part of the install is learning how to get the hose ends to release. The hose ends are more accessible on the intake than they are on the PCV line. Once you learn how they release it's easier to get them to release in the tight area around the PCV line.

Firefighter 04-09-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJKJ (Post 6400793)
http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/i...tructions.html

It was a simple install; took me less than an hour to install the catch can and 1LE separator.

It's better to install the oil separator first because the only tricky part of the install is learning how to get the hose ends to release. The hose ends are more accessible on the intake than they are on the PCV line. Once you learn how they release it's easier to get them to release in the tight area around the PCV line.

Thanks man. I appreciate it.

Sent from my friggin Droid by two thumbs using Tapatalk 2 or whatever the ish it's called....

CamaroTom 04-10-2013 07:54 AM

Firefighter let me know if you discover any tips/tricks on your install. I'm ordering a catch can here soon.

Firefighter 04-10-2013 08:02 AM

I hope to do the install Sunday. I'll post a few observations afterwards.

Sent from my friggin Droid by two thumbs using Tapatalk 2 or whatever the ish it's called....

MPHS_AGM 04-10-2013 11:15 AM

Since the OEM separator connects to the intake plenum, how does this get connected if using a cold air intake?

Firefighter 04-11-2013 01:53 PM

Just got my Elite can today. So am I understanding that when running the Elite or an RX for that matter in cinjunction with the 1LE "can" you run the aftermarket can the same as if you didn't have the factory one?

JJKJ 04-11-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter (Post 6411812)
Just got my Elite can today. So am I understanding that when running the Elite or an RX for that matter in cinjunction with the 1LE "can" you run the aftermarket can the same as if you didn't have the factory one?

Yes, according to Tracy at RX Products, the 1LE separater and a quality catch can are the ideal combo. Installation of both is mutually exclusive and doesn't affect how the other is installed.

Firefighter 04-11-2013 03:06 PM

I talked to JDP and had a confirmation of this. Thanks for your input though man. I'll be installing this Sunday.

Firefighter 04-11-2013 09:09 PM

Couldn't wait. Took all of 30 min. Very easy. The only things I can add are the following.

1) Even with the 1LE seperator the two cans install totally indipendant of each other. When you get in there and see how it works it's pretty obvious.

2) I added some red locktite to the bracket bolt and blue locktite to the can bolts. I also used some ARP teflon paste on the oil fittings. I used some fresh motor oil on the threads of the can and o-ring to make things smoother.

3) Make sure the bracket clears the tensioner it can rub against the moving part of the tensioner.

4) Don't fully tighten the bracket until you have your engine cover reinstalled you need to adjust the height of it for clearance.

5) You will notice that the GM/Chevy engineers had an aftermarket can in mind when they designed the bends in the factory seperator. There is no other explination for how odd/empty it looks without a can there.

If you get a black Elite can with the 3/8" rubber line it looks damn near stock under the hood. The only giveaways are the logo and the bright finish on the fittings.

Build quality is excellent the look is perfect. The only reservation I have is with the ONE bolt in the base of the bracket. I wonder how long before the bolt works loose. I will check it every time I empty the can.

OHBuckI81 04-12-2013 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter (Post 6413587)
If you get a black Elite can with the 3/8" rubber line it looks damn near stock under the hood. The only giveaways are the logo and the bright finish on the fittings.

Build quality is excellent the look is perfect. The only reservation I have is with the ONE bolt in the base of the bracket. I wonder how long before the bolt works loose. I will check it every time I empty the can.


Pics?

This will be my exact setup... can is order, clean side already installed.

CamaroTom 04-12-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter (Post 6413587)
Couldn't wait. Took all of 30 min. Very easy. The only things I can add are the following.

1) Even with the 1LE seperator the two cans install totally indipendant of each other. When you get in there and see how it works it's pretty obvious.

2) I added some red locktite to the bracket bolt and blue locktite to the can bolts. I also used some ARP teflon paste on the oil fittings. I used some fresh motor oil on the threads of the can and o-ring to make things smoother.

3) Make sure the bracket clears the tensioner it can rub against the moving part of the tensioner.

4) Don't fully tighten the bracket until you have your engine cover reinstalled you need to adjust the height of it for clearance.

5) You will notice that the GM/Chevy engineers had an aftermarket can in mind when they designed the bends in the factory seperator. There is no other explination for how odd/empty it looks without a can there.

If you get a black Elite can with the 3/8" rubber line it looks damn near stock under the hood. The only giveaways are the logo and the bright finish on the fittings.

Build quality is excellent the look is perfect. The only reservation I have is with the ONE bolt in the base of the bracket. I wonder how long before the bolt works loose. I will check it every time I empty the can.

Thank you for the post! Did you order the gloss black or the matte black? I want the one that blends in to the engine bay the best. Thanks


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.