Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   what is the recommended first oil change (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28995)

camarossrs2150 06-23-2009 06:11 PM

what is the recommended first oil change
 
looking to see when everybody is doing there first oil change . im using royal purple .some oils state 2000 miles or more before you add there product . im not sure why . any info will help thanks not sure if posted allready . now that i got my car i cant find time to browse . thanks again i have 700 miles on it now

Foster26 06-23-2009 06:33 PM

rings don't seal and valves don't seat very well with synthetic oils. Motors should be broken in with conventional oil as a little wear is needed for these things to happen. I plan on changing mine to Amsoil after 3K miles.

franknbeans 06-23-2009 06:43 PM

Dude, the car comes with Mobil 1 in it.

camarossrs2150 06-23-2009 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 613490)
Dude, the car comes with Mobil 1 in it.

are we saying we cant mix and match .spoke to alot of guys at car shows they like purple over mobil 1 . and they all drive high end cars . if you guys dont agree with purple i will switch, did not do change yet . still can return

ibznu2010 06-23-2009 08:27 PM

owners manual saids 1500.

diggermike62 06-23-2009 09:04 PM

Oil change
 
I plan on going by the factory recommendation, GM says the car will tell you when to change the oil, and they are given it a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty they probably have their ducks in a row. I have almost 3000 miles on my SS2 and I have not used a drop of oil. good job Chevy. Lets put some faith in our american engineering.

diggermike62:happyanim:

Legend 06-23-2009 09:08 PM

Changed mine at 500 and some change and again at 1500 miles...sitting at a little over 2K now!

Manual says 1500 and then the computer will tell you each time it's needed again...follow the manual or do like a lot of folks have...follow your gut feeling.

franknbeans 06-23-2009 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarossrs2150 (Post 613811)
are we saying we cant mix and match .spoke to alot of guys at car shows they like purple over mobil 1 . and they all drive high end cars . if you guys dont agree with purple i will switch, did not do change yet . still can return

No I was telling Forester that the car comes with synthetic, thus is comment is wrong.

camarossrs2150 06-24-2009 02:30 PM

after early change i put in a magnetic oil drain screw .so if any other particles fall free it will stick to magnet

lakers171 06-24-2009 03:47 PM

im sitting at close to 1k miles and i wanted to get an oil change already but they didn't have the filter in stock so i will wait till the end of the week and if they have it great but if not go to a different dealer.

copterdoc 06-24-2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diggermike62 (Post 614042)
I plan on going by the factory recommendation, GM says the car will tell you when to change the oil, and they are given it a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty they probably have their ducks in a row. I have almost 3000 miles on my SS2 and I have not used a drop of oil. good job Chevy. Lets put some faith in our american engineering.

diggermike62:happyanim:

I would not trust your computer to tell you when to change the oil. Mine came from the factory set on 10000 miles on the display. At 3000 miles it said that the oil life had 70% left.:iono:

Rogue Leader 06-24-2009 03:52 PM

Mobil 1 Filter M1-113 is the correct one, just in case you cant get a delco one...

camarossrs2150 06-24-2009 04:23 PM

what are the dealers charging for an oil change .

Riderover40 06-25-2009 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarossrs2150 (Post 616639)
what are the dealers charging for an oil change .

It depends .......... lol ! :confused0068: My dealer is throwing the first oil and filter change ! :confused0068:

Foster26 06-25-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 613490)
Dude, the car comes with Mobil 1 in it.

Are you 100% certain the car comes with Mobil 1 [I]synthetic?[I] I would be willing to bet when that motor is first run, it does not have synthetic. If you know anything about new engines, rings have to wear and seal, valves have to seat. If you use synthetic during break-in, it us unlikely these things will happen properly. I have been working with race engines long enough to know this and it would surprise me if they are using synthetic oil at start up. Recommending you use it does not mean it has it in now. I don't know.

faninc 06-25-2009 10:45 PM

My C6 Vette came with Mobil 1 and the oil cap actually says Mobil 1 on it. I think that 400HP engine would be considered "race" engine.

best
J

UCF w00t 06-25-2009 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foster26 (Post 621440)
Are you 100% certain the car comes with Mobil 1 [I]synthetic?[I] I would be willing to bet when that motor is first run, it does not have synthetic. If you know anything about new engines, rings have to wear and seal, valves have to seat. If you use synthetic during break-in, it us unlikely these things will happen properly. I have been working with race engines long enough to know this and it would surprise me if they are using synthetic oil at start up. Recommending you use it does not mean it has it in now. I don't know.

Yes, it's been stated a billion and one (make that a billion and two now) times that it does, in fact, ship with Mobile 1 from the factory.

Rogue Leader 06-26-2009 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foster26 (Post 621440)
Are you 100% certain the car comes with Mobil 1 [I]synthetic?[I] I would be willing to bet when that motor is first run, it does not have synthetic. If you know anything about new engines, rings have to wear and seal, valves have to seat. If you use synthetic during break-in, it us unlikely these things will happen properly. I have been working with race engines long enough to know this and it would surprise me if they are using synthetic oil at start up. Recommending you use it does not mean it has it in now. I don't know.

I'd bet my car on it, this car 100% comes with Mobil 1, as does the C6, as did the C5. And even the 4thgen LS1 cars did....

Foster26 06-29-2009 07:40 AM

Mobil makes conventional oil too. No one is disputing that synthetic oil is not the best option for BRAND NEW engines.

Foster26 06-29-2009 07:45 AM

I'm not disputing the car comes with Mobil 1. I'm saying it might not be synthetic if it is the original oil put in the motor when they started it the first time. My speculation is that the oil in it now is Mobil 1 but NOT synthetic (if it's the original oil), or they have changed it before shipping. I wish someone with real knowledge would confirm or deny my speculation.

Supermans 06-29-2009 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foster26 (Post 630482)
I'm not disputing the car comes with Mobil 1. I'm saying it might not be synthetic if it is the original oil put in the motor when they started it the first time. My speculation is that the oil in it now is Mobil 1 but NOT synthetic (if it's the original oil), or they have changed it before shipping. I wish someone with real knowledge would confirm or deny my speculation.

It is mobile 1 synthetic that is put in..

CTS 06-29-2009 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foster26 (Post 613455)
rings don't seal and valves don't seat very well with synthetic oils. Motors should be broken in with conventional oil as a little wear is needed for these things to happen. I plan on changing mine to Amsoil after 3K miles.

Myth, total myth.

My 2009 CTS came wit synthetic oil and has over 3,000 miles on he oem and has not used a drop of oil. My 2005 CTS came with synthetic oil and it was the same, never used oil.

They do not change the oil at the factory, what they put it stays there till the customer changes it. The engine is not run until it is fired up near the end of the assembly line. Fyi-You car get a lot of use before you get it. It may have less than 10 miles on but before it left the plant is had to undergo validation where its run on a dyno up to 75pmh for a period of time to pass emissions and to certify all components work. I seen them run the Corvette's thru this validation and its not babied. It rolls on the ramps and they slam to pedal to floor and bring it up to 75mph for a period of time. When everything pass's the test, a green light comes on and the doors to the special room open and they drive either to repair or to the water test.

All these GM cars/truck come with synthetic oil

# All Cadillac Vehicles
# Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06
# Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS
# Cobalt SS S/C Coupe
# Pontiac Solstice GXP
# Saturn Ion Red Line and Saturn Sky Red Line


One of the myths surrounding synthetic oils is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. The fact is, current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design the high-performance cars listed above, Mobil 1 can be used starting the day you drive the car off the showroom floor.

Here is a reply from someone I know in GM Powertrain at St Catharines (Canadian engine plant).

Quote:

Re: Any Camaro engines coming with Synthetic oil?
Reply on: April 30, 2009, 12:38:56 PM

Yep, Mobil 1 in Camaros and Vettes, some trucks as well.

Rogue Leader 06-29-2009 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foster26 (Post 630482)
I'm not disputing the car comes with Mobil 1. I'm saying it might not be synthetic if it is the original oil put in the motor when they started it the first time. My speculation is that the oil in it now is Mobil 1 but NOT synthetic (if it's the original oil), or they have changed it before shipping. I wish someone with real knowledge would confirm or deny my speculation.

Mobil 1 IS synthetic only. Regular Mobil oil is just called Mobil. Any Mobil with a 1 on it is Synthetic.

RickyTheStorm 06-29-2009 11:36 AM

Modern day engine components and technology don't require conventional oil for break-ins. It is just the advancement of technology these days.

As for the original poster:

I changed my oil and filter at 489 miles. Put Mobil 1 and K&N filter on it.

I then changed it again at 1601 miles. Once again, Mobil 1 and K&N filter.

They say you don't need to change until 1500 miles, but I rather be safe and give it a nice healthy supply of clean oil during break-in.

As for Royal Purple or Mobil 1 - this is a disputed argument between many. They are both FANTASTIC oils! I am a Mobil 1 man, I only ever put Mobil 1 in for anything - including the rear-end fluid I changed. However, my neighbor is a Royal Purple fan - only puts Royal Purple in.

What are the advantages of either? Well, other than price for Mobil 1 compared to Royal Purple, not much. They are both synthetic and both very good oils. Just some people swear by one or the other.

If you want to go with Royal, go ahead - 1500 miles put it in. If you want to stick with what was in the engine to begin with, put Mobil 1. It is just up to you as to which you prefer, but both will be fine.

FirstCamaro2010 06-29-2009 06:02 PM

I researched the part numbers of what the V6 comes with and matched it with mobile's website of what vehicles come with what oil and from what i found the V6 comes filled with Mobile Clean 5000 a conventional oil and the v8 is Fully Synthetic Mobile One


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.