Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   SS or IPF Supercharger and Brembos (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290383)

BigPopa71 04-19-2013 05:51 PM

SS or IPF Supercharger and Brembos
 
I was thinking about trading my car but I think I would save money just bolting on an IPF supercharger and some brembos. I have put about ten grand in my car and I can't see getting a new Camaro just to say its a V-8. I still have some BBK long tube headers under the bed and I think with the supercharger and brembos I will come out with a healthier pocket and a pretty fast ride? Plus I love my RS. What do you think?

Maurdib 04-19-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigPopa71 (Post 6444164)
I was thinking about trading my car but I think I would save money just bolting on an IPF supercharger and some brembos. I have put about ten grand in my car and I can't see getting a new Camaro just to say its a V-8. I still have some BBK long tube headers under the bed and I think with the supercharger and brembos I will come out with a healthier pocket and a pretty fast ride? Plus I love my RS. What do you think?


Do it, because it you will get the best of both worlds, great power, great MPG's

Johnthegreat 04-19-2013 06:08 PM

Go v8. The sounds amazing.

SgtPickles69 04-19-2013 06:48 PM

Sound of supercharger > Sound of V8 imo :yikes:

Lil' Nasty 04-19-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtPickles69 (Post 6444397)
Sound of supercharger > Sound of V8 imo :yikes:

Sound of supercharger + V8>>> :biggrin:


Lol Jk but a S/C V6 is always different and unique to me. Good luck!

KMPrenger 04-19-2013 07:47 PM

IPF supercharger + BBK long tube headers is a very sweet combination for the V6 in my opinion. May not have the torque of the SS down low, but the rush of the power as you climb through the powerband is "intoxicating" from what one of my Camaro5 buddies tells me.

With that combo you'll be making somewhere between 480 - 500 HP at peak power....basically if you have the car in the right rpm range you should be a bit quicker than a stock SS. Definitely a 12 second quarter mile car if you can drive.

BigPopa71 04-19-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 6444705)
IPF supercharger + BBK long tube headers is a very sweet combination for the V6 in my opinion. May not have the torque of the SS down low, but the rush of the power as you climb through the powerband is "intoxicating" from what one of my Camaro5 buddies tells me.

With that combo you'll be making somewhere between 480 - 500 HP at peak power....basically if you have the car in the right rpm range you should be a bit quicker than a stock SS. Definitely a 12 second quarter mile car if you can drive.

Wow! I'm sold!

lscamaro 04-19-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigPopa71 (Post 6444873)
Wow! I'm sold!

If you even think of upgrading further or something like that, definitely do the v8. After getting a supercharger, anything more and you sacrifice reliability. If it's a daily driver, that could be a big issue. If you think you'll be satisfied with the supercharger and that's it, a boosted v6 sure is unique

KMPrenger 04-19-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lscamaro (Post 6444965)
If you even think of upgrading further or something like that, definitely do the v8. After getting a supercharger, anything more and you sacrifice reliability. If it's a daily driver, that could be a big issue. If you think you'll be satisfied with the supercharger and that's it, a boosted v6 sure is unique

I agree with this. You'll be looking at around 380 - 400 horse at the wheels. (my comment earlier was power at the crank). If you think you'll ever want more than that...its just better to go V8 b/c the money involved in getting a V6 to make that kind of power reliably is way way more expensive.

May want to consider the optional warranty that IPF offers as well.

Nutbutt 04-19-2013 09:46 PM

There is always something more ! If your not satisfied with the V8 there's always a v10 :happyanim: viper. This is just crazy. A V6 SC is a great option if you want a daily driver with upper 400hp. The IPF is really a robust install that should have no more issues than a SS. The Vortec SC is really a reliable piece of hardware.
I now have the power I want and have had a great time doing this. :) SC permagrin !

GretchenGotGrowl 04-20-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigPopa71 (Post 6444164)
I was thinking about trading my car but I think I would save money just bolting on an IPF supercharger and some brembos. I have put about ten grand in my car and I can't see getting a new Camaro just to say its a V-8. I still have some BBK long tube headers under the bed and I think with the supercharger and brembos I will come out with a healthier pocket and a pretty fast ride? Plus I love my RS. What do you think?

What year is your car? What are your ultimate goals? What kind of mods are included in the $10K? If you have a 2012+ you have a lot of room to grow with what you have, but you will be a bit more limited with an early car until other mods come out. If your goal is a real high HP car then you will probably do what most other's have done, complete rebuild of a LS3/L99 or engine swap with the SS to, so it's hard to say if it is cheaper to go the trade-in route or not. If you are looking for stock SS power from a V6 then it will almost certainly be cheaper to add FI to what you have. Can't say how much you might get for your current mods, but you might get lucky and recoup most of that in the classified section. Good luck.

BigPopa71 04-20-2013 12:57 PM

I have a 2011 1LT RS my performance mods are only exhaust and cold air intake. The other mods are in the wheels, system and short throw shifter and some of the 2LT options like gauge pack and stuff like that. I only drive my car on weekends but its my only ride. I'm actually happy with the current speed. Bit I wouldn't mind having SS power. I haven't put my headers on because I know I will need a tune and figured I would wait until I decided on a supercharger. I'm not looking for 600 hp. But I would love if my car ran in the 12's.

lscamaro 04-20-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigPopa71 (Post 6446838)
I have a 2011 1LT RS my performance mods are only exhaust and cold air intake. The other mods are in the wheels, system and short throw shifter and some of the 2LT options like gauge pack and stuff like that. I only drive my car on weekends but its my only ride. I'm actually happy with the current speed. Bit I wouldn't mind having SS power. I haven't put my headers on because I know I will need a tune and figured I would wait until I decided on a supercharger. I'm not looking for 600 hp. But I would love if my car ran in the 12's.

It sounds like you might be happy just throwing in the supercharger then. Reason I say this is because if you've spent that much on a system and such, it'd probably be a pain to return everything back to stock because it must be a pretty involved system. Also, you say you're pretty happy with your current speed. Well then a supercharger will be enough to get you to SS power levels while keeping everything you currently have.

To make your car run 12s, you'll probably need the supercharger, add the headers, and some really good drag radials or slicks. Don't know if you want to go all out and get the stickier tires but I think you might be able to either run real low 13s or high 12s on that combination. A member already ran a 12 with just the IPF supercharger and on stock wheels and tires. So you should be pretty close with drag radials after you get the hang of your launch.

But take into account that's about the farthest you'll be able to push the car and still have near stock reliability. Any more and you're better off trading for a v8 :)

Swarm 04-20-2013 05:26 PM

SS is a better option

S/C on V6 is unique and all

but SS is still a better option


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.