Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mustang Chief Engineer: 200lbs weight loss for 2015 Mustang. Camaro to match? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293210)

Ricky35 05-03-2013 02:33 PM

Mustang Chief Engineer: 200lbs weight loss for 2015 Mustang. Camaro to match?
 
Will be interesting to see which car ends up lighter in the next generation. Mustang chief engineer says he thinks 200 lbs loss is possible for 2015 mustang.

Interview: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653

Camaro should get much lighter on alpha platform. Anyone know just how much yet ?

v6sonoma 05-03-2013 02:41 PM

So you are referencing forum that references an article from April of 2010? Not the most current of sources. Anything is possible. My guess is they will be very close in weight. The ATS proves what GM can do and the Camaro haters (and lovers) have made it clear weight is at the top of the list for wants.

87GNX 05-03-2013 02:43 PM

He's the head engineer so his word is pretty good for now. I think the next stang platform (s550) will be based off the Lincoln, it's smaller "cts like" in length/width. Weight will probably be near 3400 +/- 50lbs.

vroomapunk 05-03-2013 02:43 PM

That thread is so insulting hahaha. I can take guys calling my baby fat (she is), but everyone in that thread called the camaro ugly.

Well I never!

Ricky35 05-03-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v6sonoma (Post 6501286)
So you are referencing forum that references an article from April of 2010? Not the most current of sources. Anything is possible. My guess is they will be very close in weight. The ATS proves what GM can do and the Camaro haters (and lovers) have made it clear weight is at the top of the list for wants.

That's the head engineer of the mustang making the statement so I'm sure he knows what he's talking about, even a couple years ago.

I hope both the stang and the camaro get into a weight loss battle. Enthusiasts of each will only stand to benefit

mikeyg36 05-03-2013 03:05 PM

I didn't realize that I joined Mustang5... :rolleyes:

oklapike 05-03-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87GNX (Post 6501290)
He's the head engineer so his word is pretty good for now. I think the next stang platform (s550) will be based off the Lincoln, it's smaller "cts like" in length/width. Weight will probably be near 3400 +/- 50lbs.

Which is pretty much what the next Camaro should be given the ATS's weight range of 3315* to 3461. I realize there will be some weight gain due to Chevy using fewer lightweight components in the chassis itself, but that should be offset by fewer heavy sound deadening and other high-end luxury components. I'd be willing to bet the base model alpha Camaro will come in under 3400 and the V6 under 3500.

* 3315 pounds is the curb weight for the ATS 2.5L, the 2.0L turbo curb weight is 3373 (A) and 3403 (M)

87GNX 05-03-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oklapike (Post 6501479)
Which is pretty much what the next Camaro should be given the ATS's weight range of 3315* to 3461. I realize there will be some weight gain due to Chevy using fewer lightweight components in the chassis itself, but that should be offset by fewer heavy sound deadening and other high-end luxury components. I'd be willing to bet the base model alpha Camaro will come in under 3400 and the V6 under 3500.

* 3315 pounds is the curb weight for the ATS 2.5L, the 2.0L turbo curb weight is 3373 (A) and 3403 (M)

I hope the next gen of mustang and Camaro don't look too riced out or whatever you wanna call it lol.

87GNX 05-03-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyg36 (Post 6501373)
I didn't realize that I joined Mustang5... :rolleyes:

Hey stangs and Camaros are two peas in a pod. Can't have one without the other.

oklapike 05-03-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87GNX (Post 6502112)
Hey stangs and Camaros are two peas in a pod. Can't have one without the other.

:word:Light and dark, order and chaos, good and evil, Camaro and Mustang, all things must have a balance. ;)

camaro2lt 05-03-2013 07:12 PM

Al oppen is better than him. Hes talking about visibility with the rear view mirror, He needs to see the 2013 mirror then he will change his mind

mikeyg36 05-03-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87GNX (Post 6502112)
Hey stangs and Camaros are two peas in a pod. Can't have one without the other.

I know, but why would you post this in the Camaro general section on a Camaro website?

Bad@ssCamaro 05-03-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oklapike (Post 6502132)
:word:Light and dark, order and chaos, good and evil, Camaro and Mustang, all things must have a balance. ;)

I see what you did there :headbang:

fielderLS3 05-03-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87GNX (Post 6501290)
He's the head engineer so his word is pretty good for now. I think the next stang platform (s550) will be based off the Lincoln, it's smaller "cts like" in length/width. Weight will probably be near 3400 +/- 50lbs.

I generally agree that the weight will be in the 3400-3500 lbs range...

But exactly what Lincoln is this supposedly based off of? Lincoln doesn't have any platforms. At this point it is more of a trim level of every Ford than its own brand (kinda like Mercury was 5 years ago). And no Lincoln is RWD, except for the Navigator.

alanhurst 05-03-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vroomapunk (Post 6501291)
That thread is so insulting hahaha. I can take guys calling my baby fat (she is), but everyone in that thread called the camaro ugly.

Well I never!

Meh they are just mad that for the past 3 yrs (basically this generation of musclecars) Camaros have been winning the sales wars.

The people have spoken and they love Camaros:stang:

87GNX 05-03-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyg36 (Post 6502171)
I know, but why would you post this in the Camaro general section on a Camaro website?

I didn't post it.

rontammy0 05-03-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vroomapunk (Post 6501291)
That thread is so insulting hahaha. I can take guys calling my baby fat (she is), but everyone in that thread called the camaro ugly.

Well I never!

oh your baby isn't fat and ugly...ok maybe stout and off pretty...if its fat and ugly.....I love fat and ugly, man im changing as I get older :sm0::fighting0056:

mikeyg36 05-03-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87GNX (Post 6502405)
I didn't post it.

I meant the OP

jshaf 05-03-2013 09:30 PM

well then the 6th gen camaro and what ever gen mustang this next one will be will probably be about the same weight IMO, they gotta us that argument as often as they can because it won't hold water much longer...LOL

JimE 05-03-2013 10:01 PM

And the Mustang has had the weight advantage for awhile now...doesn't seem to have helped them much.

Just sayin'

fielderLS3 05-03-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimE (Post 6502726)
And the Mustang has had the weight advantage for awhile now...doesn't seem to have helped them much.

Just sayin'

Mustang .97 lateral-g vs Camaro .92 lateral-g, with the same tire compound, but the Camaro on wider tires. I'd say the weight advantage is showing up rather significantly there.

LimaCharlie 05-03-2013 11:32 PM

If history continues like it has since 1967, the Camaro will be heavier than the Mustang. The 6th gen Camaro will be lighter compared to the 5th gen but don't expect it to be an impressive weight loss. I'm guessing the 6th gen SS will be ~3600 lbs.

cbass 05-03-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fielderLS3 (Post 6502930)
Mustang .97 lateral-g vs Camaro .92 lateral-g, with the same tire compound, but the Camaro on wider tires. I'd say the weight advantage is showing up rather significantly there.

Which mustang and which camaro? :)

As for as I know only a pre 2012 camaro ss has been tested. There was a suspension revision since then. Also the camaro was always tested against the track pack mustangs with gearing, suspension, and other improvements.

The track pack camaro pulls over 1g's. :) The ZL1 pulls over 1g's.

The GT500 pulls 0.98g's

Cyber Gray 05-04-2013 01:47 AM

http://www.bypeople.fr/wp-content/up...4/Big-Mama.jpg

Fat is aint bad, skinny stang :biggrin:

2012-1822 05-04-2013 04:19 AM

This reminds me of when I was running my business. I was Camaro, with the restrictions in place because Corvette doesn't want it's toes stepped on, and my competitor was Mustang. My restrictions were business ethics, and my competitor had none, he'd fire out with some lame and unethical big weapon, and I'd stick to my plan and improve by my standard not his. It's like the GT500, it goes fast in a straight line, good for them, Chevy has been saying for a while on the Corvette, and of course now the Camaro, that they want to work on lighter cars that are faster on tracks because of it. Ford now wants to play that game too.

So like should we even compare the GT500 to the ZL1, I mean Scott says that Mustang is Ford's Camaro and Corvette. So like shouldn't we be comparing the GT500 to the Z06 or Grand Sport, I don't know. I know if Ford won't publish the Nurburgring time for GT500 because it's slower than ZL1, then it's a heck of a lot slower than Z06 and ZR1


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.