Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cam/Heads NEED INFO!! (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293308)

Tag140 05-04-2013 02:38 AM

Cam/Heads NEED INFO!!
 
First off let me say this will be my weekend car, i will probably drive here about 3 days a week. so ill push her a little harder than a daily driver but not to much

so, im looking into getting heads and cam in the middle of the summer, and all my research so far im pretty sure what cam i'll go with, just a mild comp cam VVT Phaser limiter.
but when it comes to heads is where everything has to work in sink with each other. (with my whipple also)

my questions regarding the ported heads are basically everything haha
who has a set up with a supercharger/cam/heads.
what compression are you running? what bore would compliment the supercharger more
what heads did you go with?
what springs, valves, rocker arms
What angle of the valves

basically any good information on these L99/LS3s to give me some ideas on whats the best way to go. because i cant find anything good online, that is about a camaros

Mchlgrrsn 05-04-2013 08:23 AM

Are you ls3 or l99 ? What is your final goal. 700 800 or 800 plus.

Tag140 05-04-2013 11:43 AM

l99, once I put cam/heads I'm pretty much done with the engine.
Illl be happy with over 600 to the wheels. I'm making about 525 now

LSX Camaro 05-04-2013 12:51 PM

I am in the middle of my L99 to LS3 conversion right now. Spending the extra time and money on the heads and valvetrain is the best thing you can do. Combining the right components will get you the best results in power and reliability.

For my engine I had Pat G. spec out a custom cam based on my needs and the intended use. I had my heads done at WCCH and am running all BTR valvetrain. You can see my build here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271232

Tag140 05-04-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSX Camaro (Post 6504309)
I am in the middle of my L99 to LS3 conversion right now. Spending the extra time and money on the heads and valvetrain is the best thing you can do. Combining the right components will get you the best results in power and reliability.

For my engine I had Pat G. spec out a custom cam based on my needs and the intended use. I had my heads done at WCCH and am running all BTR valvetrain. You can see my build here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271232

Holly shit, I can look at your build all day.
Thanks man, I know what I want, I just have to find a way to make it all work with each other.
I guess I'm going to have to do some more research on what bore to get, what would be the best compression ratio, and all the valve train goodies to get.
I guess I'll just make some calls

litle88 05-04-2013 02:52 PM

The bore is already set and that is on the block. Your bore is a 4.065.

You mean your Combustion Chamber size to run an xx compression ratio?

If your going for big boost I'd do an Ls3 conversion.

Just my .2

Tag140 05-04-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litle88 (Post 6504604)
The bore is already set and that is on the block. Your bore is a 4.065.

You mean your Combustion Chamber size to run an xx compression ratio?

If your going for big boost I'd do an Ls3 conversion.

Just my .2


would it really be worth it to get a LS3 conversion kit?
i would think individual cam and heads would be better, and better valvetrain parts.
i feel like i could get more HP and performance from piecing together my own kit.

sorry for the terms im a noob when it coms to heads/valvetrain
what i mean is i dont know what sizes for the intake port and valves or what springs/rocker arms to get. basically everything in the heads itself

LSX Camaro 05-04-2013 08:42 PM

I hand picked all my components. There are "kits" available from vendors but better parts can be had for similar cost. Richard at West Coast Cylinder Heads did the CNC porting, valve job and assembly on my heads. You may want to contact him for for head advice. The BTR valve springs and lifters are proven and very reasonably priced. I would also go with ARP head bolts or studs vs. the factory TTY bolts. Iwis makes a great timing chain that is a great upgrade from the OE. The stock rocker arms are great with the trunion upgrade. This is how I am doing my cam conversion.

Tag140 05-04-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSX Camaro (Post 6505677)
I hand picked all my components. There are "kits" available from vendors but better parts can be had for similar cost. Richard at West Coast Cylinder Heads did the CNC porting, valve job and assembly on my heads. You may want to contact him for for head advice. The BTR valve springs and lifters are proven and very reasonably priced. I would also go with ARP head bolts or studs vs. the factory TTY bolts. Iwis makes a great timing chain that is a great upgrade from the OE. The stock rocker arms are great with the grunion upgrade. This is how I am doing my cam conversion.

great info, thanks man.
thats what ill probably do, just get the heads probably from Texas speed, then get my own vales/springs and ill probably just get new rocker arms, and the bolts on your recommendation.
Ill defiantly give Richard a call, i can always use more advice.

litle88 05-04-2013 10:59 PM

No need to get new rocker arms just upgrade the trunions.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.