Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Good news, bad news... (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294473)

93B4C 05-09-2013 03:01 PM

Good news, bad news...

Bad news first, that way you have something to look forward to. Took her out of storage a couple weeks ago, maybe drove 15-20 miles. Took her out again for a spin, steering didn't feel right, wheel was tugging at low speed. Off to the dealer yesterday, got the call today. The power steering rack assembly is cracked. HUH? 382 miles on her. No, not 13382, not 1382, 382. :emoticon1:

Good news; dealership opened a case with GM, new rack assembly is on order, all covered under warranty.:happyanim:

TooCool5 05-09-2013 05:52 PM

That's an odd duck problem...

Chevrolet Customer Svc 05-10-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93B4C (Post 6523936)
Bad news first, that way you have something to look forward to. Took her out of storage a couple weeks ago, maybe drove 15-20 miles. Took her out again for a spin, steering didn't feel right, wheel was tugging at low speed. Off to the dealer yesterday, got the call today. The power steering rack assembly is cracked. HUH? 382 miles on her. No, not 13382, not 1382, 382.

Good news; dealership opened a case with GM, new rack assembly is on order, all covered under warranty.

Greetings 93B4C,

Sincere apologies for what you experienced with the steering, and later finding out the rack assembly was cracked. That sounded like a odd and displeasing situation. I'm delighted to hear a case was opened and the work will be repaired and covered at no cost to you. I hope the repair process moves smoothly and everything is back to normal soon. Please keep us updated.

Best regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

93B4C 05-10-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc (Post 6526815)
Greetings 93B4C,

Sincere apologies for what you experienced with the steering, and later finding out the rack assembly was cracked. That sounded like a odd and displeasing situation. I'm delighted to hear a case was opened and the work will be repaired and covered at no cost to you. I hope the repair process moves smoothly and everything is back to normal soon. Please keep us updated.

Best regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Odd indeed. The service writer had never seen it happen before. The assembly is back ordered, so delivery date is undetermined. Hopefully sooner than later. I'll update the thread.

pincoin 05-11-2013 04:42 PM

That sucks, it seems the metal used in cars today is not holding up. Maybe not properly being cast or something.

93B4C 05-12-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pincoin (Post 6532029)
That sucks, it seems the metal used in cars today is not holding up. Maybe not properly being cast or something.

Exactly what the service writer said. The part is back ordered with an "unknown" delivery date. He asked if it was back ordered because this was starting to become an issue, and they wouldn't give him a straight answer. So...

:emoticon3:

93B4C 05-18-2013 08:33 AM

Just wanted to bump this and see if this happened to anyone else? Any GM parts guys out there that can give a guesstimate on how far out delivery will be for the part?

93B4C 06-01-2013 07:26 AM

Dealership called yesterday, GM is pulling a rack off the production line to ship. Estimated delivery date 6/14. Fingers and toes and other appendages crossed.

:pop2:

TheHorse13 06-01-2013 07:50 AM

Don't hold your breath.

The "part is on back order" story is the worst bs story that dealers have to offer. I've gone down this exact road and was fed the same story about pulling parts from the assembly line. It sounded fishy so I dug a little deeper and a GM rep (customer service) explained that they cannot just pull parts from the assembly line. This would cause a butterfly effect on production and grind the process to a halt.

To sum it up, my back ordered part took 6 weeks to come in and the delivery date was a continuous moving target. I hope you have better luck.

93B4C 06-02-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHorse13 (Post 6615028)
Don't hold your breath.

The "part is on back order" story is the worst bs story that dealers have to offer. I've gone down this exact road and was fed the same story about pulling parts from the assembly line. It sounded fishy so I dug a little deeper and a GM rep (customer service) explained that they cannot just pull parts from the assembly line. This would cause a butterfly effect on production and grind the process to a halt.

To sum it up, my back ordered part took 6 weeks to come in and the delivery date was a continuous moving target. I hope you have better luck.

Grrrrreeeeeeeeaaaaat. :frusty:

Thanks for the info anyway.

I'll throw it out there again, anyone have this issue? I just can't believe the parts are not available and no one else is dealing with this.