Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Getting new engine Dealer said putting in 2012-13 motor?I have a 2010 (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295628)

CamaroC-17 05-15-2013 08:08 AM

Getting new engine Dealer said putting in 2012-13 motor?I have a 2010
 
Hey guys. Been awhile since I have posted. Earlier this year my car was drinking a quart of oil every fill up and timing chains went bad. They did a leak down test and one cylinder had 100% leak down and the others were leaking aswell. They tore it down and said its not repairable. So they ordered a new engine. Well, I got a call from the dealer saying they got a 2012-2013 engine (thought he was about to tell me they got the wrong one) because the 2010 motor is no longer available. I said the LFX? He replied not really knowing what the LFX was. I said the 2012 motor has a different intake manifold (didn't mention the headers). He said no we used your intake manifold. Said the new motor includes, block,heads, valve covers, oil pan, valve covers, oil pump, water pump, and sensors. So is there a 2012 LLT motor? I know the 2012 traverse has one but its a completely different motor designed for front wheel drive. I don't know what to think. Should have it back by today or tomorrow. He said I would be happy to know I got an upgraded motor

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

SPARTAN sui 05-15-2013 08:10 AM

Hmm interesting, I'm curious too.

GretchenGotGrowl 05-15-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaroc5 (Post 6546073)
Hey guys. Been awhile since I have posted. Earlier this year my car was drinking a quart of oil every fill up and timing chains went bad. They did a leak down test and one cylinder had 100% leak down and the others were leaking aswell. They tore it down and said its not repairable. So they ordered a new engine. Well, I got a call from the dealer saying they got a 2012-2013 engine (thought he was about to tell me they got the wrong one) because the 2010 motor is no longer available. I said the LFX? He replied not really knowing what the LFX was. I said the 2012 motor has a different intake manifold (didn't mention the headers). He said no we used your intake manifold. Said the new motor includes, block,heads, valve covers, oil pan, valve covers, oil pump, water pump, and sensors. So is there a 2012 LLT motor? I know the 2012 traverse has one but its a completely different motor designed for front wheel drive. I don't know what to think. Should have it back by today or tomorrow. He said I would be happy to know I got an upgraded motor

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

They can use a Traverse engine. The differences that allow it to work for the FWD are minimal. They'll just have to swap some parts off your old motor (i.e., oil pan) to make it work.

CamaroC-17 05-15-2013 08:23 AM

This looks different. Look at the oil filter
http://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-conte...GM-3.6-LLT.jpg

CamaroC-17 05-15-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 6546094)
They can use a Traverse engine. The differences that allow it to work for the FWD are minimal. They'll just have to swap some parts off your old motor (i.e., oil pan) to make it work.

Would it make the same power? In the traverse it makes like 280. Intake and exhaust on the camaro might change this?

PoorMansCamaro 05-15-2013 08:31 AM

this makes no sense. lol I would call the service department. ask to talk to someone working on your car, and ask them exactly what engine they are putting in your car. I swear, dealerships are morons, 9 out of 10 times.

all hell would break loose if they put a 288hp motor into my Camaro.

edit: if they are somehow able to put the lfx in your car, that would be pretty sweet. :D

GretchenGotGrowl 05-15-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaroc5 (Post 6546127)
Would it make the same power? In the traverse it makes like 280. Intake and exhaust on the camaro might change this?

I think once they change the exhaust and exhaust your ECM will take care of the rest.

CamaroC-17 05-15-2013 08:57 AM

How do you think this will affect resale value?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

blkngldbabe 05-15-2013 08:58 AM

I just looked up the LLT for my car (same model and year) and while the original engine number has changed up, it's now considered a "service" engine but has 414 engines at the engine warehouse. It's a new number but still the LLT that fits the Camaro. The number is 12645813. Hope this helps.

menendez1293 05-15-2013 10:34 AM

That is strange. I would show up at the dealer and request to see what they are doing and exactly what they are putting in.

tonymac 05-15-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaroc5 (Post 6546073)
So is there a 2012 LLT motor?

Yes. My 2012 V6 is an LLT, not a LFX.

KMPrenger 05-15-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 6546234)
I think once they change the exhaust and exhaust your ECM will take care of the rest.

I thought the Transverse version didn't have direct injection? Maybe the newer ones do?

I think it is a bit strange as well. As I told Camaroc5 in PM, I'm wondering if it isn't some new version of the LLT? (not upgraded power wise, but maybe has some reliability revisions??) Jut a thought.


If it turns out to be a new LFX, and they add in the single exhaust pipes and a new Delphi ECM...I need to figure out how to blow my engine up.

KMPrenger 05-15-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonymac (Post 6547184)
Yes. My 2012 V6 is an LLT, not a LFX.

No it isn't.

GretchenGotGrowl 05-15-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 6547188)
I thought the Transverse version didn't have direct injection? Maybe the newer ones do?

I think it is a bit strange as well. As I told Camaroc5 in PM, I'm wondering if it isn't some new version of the LLT? (not upgraded power wise, but maybe has some reliability revisions??) Jut a thought.


If it turns out to be a new LFX, and they add in the single exhaust pipes and a new Delphi ECM...I need to figure out how to blow my engine up.

All the LLTs have direct injection. The long blocks are all the same. It's just things like intake manifold, exhaust, airbox, some plumbing, etc. that vary by platform.

KMPrenger 05-15-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 6547198)
All the LLTs have direct injection. The long blocks are all the same. It's just things like intake manifold, exhaust, airbox, some plumbing, etc. that vary by platform.

Oh woops....what I was thinking of is the old LY7 engines that the LLT was based on I believe. I thought the Transverse used to run that engine. If it is not an LY7 anymore, I would expect that the 2013s have an LFX engine. I don't know why they would use the LLT when the LFX is available. Of course it wouldn't have the exact same tune and components as the Camaro...and thus the lower HP figure.

GretchenGotGrowl 05-15-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 6547231)
Oh woops....what I was thinking of is the old LY7 engines that the LLT was based on I believe.

Yeah, those were port injected.

What worries me about this is it is an indication that GM has already run through their stock of LLTs configured for the Camaro. Given there are quite a few still out there that are still under warranty, that can't be good.

United_727 05-15-2013 01:28 PM

That part # also fits Acadia/Encalve Traverse/ Lacrosse/CTS/STS.

PoorMansCamaro 05-15-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonymac (Post 6547184)
Yes. My 2012 V6 is an LLT, not a LFX.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 6547189)
No it isn't.

I don't know why, but this is funny. I LOL'd out loud for real. not just typing LOL. :lol:

CamaroC-17 05-15-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro (Post 6547418)
I don't know why, but this is funny. I LOL'd out loud for real. not just typing LOL. :lol:

I did the same thing

BaylorCamaro 05-15-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 6547239)
Yeah, those were port injected.

What worries me about this is it is an indication that GM has already run through their stock of LLTs configured for the Camaro. Given there are quite a few still out there that are still under warranty, that can't be good.

:thumbdown: Not good at all.

Goo 05-15-2013 03:11 PM

I wouldn't trust the service writer's statement... I'm in the "wait and see" mode.

My money is on it being a LLT :popcorn:

CamaroC-17 05-15-2013 03:25 PM

I will be getting the car tomorrow. I guess I will be able to tell if it is a traverse motor by the oil filter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

bw26ss 05-15-2013 03:29 PM

no it will be a replacement llt longblock, they are all the same, just different tuning for different cars

KMPrenger 05-15-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaroc5 (Post 6547875)
I will be getting the car tomorrow. I guess I will be able to tell if it is a traverse motor by the oil filter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Will be very curious to know!

right to travel 05-15-2013 04:02 PM

this will be really bad or it will be no big deal. either way your dealer is retarded. you need to give that thing the once twice and trice over. take it around the block and repeat at the dealer.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.